1970 f250 camper special

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

lloyd70cs

Re: 1970 f250 camper special

Post by lloyd70cs »

I'm making some headway with work on the truck. Successful installation of power steering, tach, new coil springs and shocks all around. pertronix ignition and coil is on the go. Also got the interior carpeted and new seat cover.

Was going to paint but now I'm unsure. I won't be able to do a good job and don't want to make more work for myself down the road but don't want to let it get beyond repair, the Pacific northwest is not friendly to metal over time. I've already done the frame rails and engine bay and unfortunately got the outer fenders done before I started to question myself
lloyd70cs

Post by lloyd70cs »

Well, decided to paint in the end. I got the cab mostly done in this picture. I had some "issues". Being that it's my first automotive paint job, i'm not totally disappointed but not totally happy either.
For one thing, its all rattle can. The first set of blue cans I got from the paint shop didn't harden properly. Those painted the fenders and the hood. I painted the fenders months ago and they are still tacky so that imprints are still left in the paint now. the hood wasn't so bad cause I put down a clear coat top, but that came out of the can very "spitty" even though the hood was hanging and it was around 70 degrees out.

I was going to leave the doors as they need replacing, but since I'm not sure when that is going to happen I think I'll paint them anyway. Just working on sanding the bed. Rain is coming soon so trying to get this done before its too late.
Painted Cab.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lloyd70cs

Post by lloyd70cs »

Also working on getting the engine going well. Something isn't right with the timing. The timing at idle with vacuum plugged and lights on (manual trans) with the engine running as smoothly as it can sound is between 15 and 20. But then the tach reads 1000. It will run at 6-8 and the tach reads 550 but sounds on the verge of stalling. Any thoughts? I was wondering if I have the distributor off by a tooth or something? Thanks.
lloyd70cs

Post by lloyd70cs »

Forgot to say it's got the pertronix II and flamethrower II in it now, 8.5mm wires but not adjusted the gap to 0.044 yet.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

First regap your plugs. Don't be overly concerned with what the timing says it is, time it to the best running and it is what it is. She knows what she wants. Then adjust your throttle idle screw to what you feel comfortable with, I like 700-800 rpm. I like to tune to max timing around 38* @ 3000 rpm and the initial timing falls where it wants too. Adjust your carburetor to have max manifold vacuum, hopefully around 20-21, then tweak your timing/idle again. Do this multiple times until your satisfied. Just watch out for pinging and give her what she wants.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
lloyd70cs

Post by lloyd70cs »

:thup: thanks! Will give it a go. Got to buy a vacuum gauge. Only had a tach and compression gauge