Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

skblixt96

Re: Hackster's F100 #2 CV Swap 6 speed manual and Coyote

Post by skblixt96 »

Great progress Hackster. Certainly motivated me to go the modular route over beefing up my FE. Would you mind sharing the part number for your crate engine? Ford has so many parts/engines that have been superseded, it would make doing my homework that much more simple.
Thanks,
Shan
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Monkey-1 wrote:So glad to see you back on track. I can't for you to fire it up. I just really feel bad for the short life of those rear tires!

Off topic a bit, but I have a question about your lighting control. What controls the under dash lighting? Is it a standalone device or something from the donor car?

I would not really say back on track....well my checking account doesnt =)

Its super cool. Product is made by Revolution Electronics and is 100% aftermarket. The dim is a little fast but its pretty cool. Needs 12v, switched 12v, ground and some door pins. I am hoping to be able to wrap that stuff up next week before i leave. I dont have the factory door pin switches so I need to make my own brackets before I put the front clip back on.
skblixt96 wrote:Great progress Hackster. Certainly motivated me to go the modular route over beefing up my FE. Would you mind sharing the part number for your crate engine? Ford has so many parts/engines that have been superseded, it would make doing my homework that much more simple.
Thanks,
Shan
Good deal....I have the part number from the engine at home. I will tell you though that Steve at Tasca ford is the man to talk to, you can tell him I sent you or you are a member of the site. They have discontinue this 11-14 as a crate engine and are only doing the 15-16 motors now. There is a spring deal going on that he will sell you the crate engine with the coyote controls pack for it for $6,600.00. That is a screaming deal and he was super helpful even though I did not buy from him.

Sean
BossGB385

Post by BossGB385 »

6600.00!? :eek: wow
redmcode

Post by redmcode »

BossGB385 wrote:6600.00!? :eek: wow
Damn thats cheap !!
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Made some good progress tonight. Have everything back together ready to start......Not too sure how I overlooked it but apparently this thing comes with a pan full of oil? Well, I did not check it first and added oil and ended up with a ton of oil in there. So I had to drain it all out and start over, guess I need to get more oil tomorrow and fire it up :tv_happy:

You kind of have to laugh at this...at least its all I could do. That is a lot of oil.:wacko:

Hope the weather stays dry and I can make it to cars and coffee or something saturday, maybe get the driveline vibration ironed out and get a few miles on it.

Sean
EDVSU

Post by EDVSU »

I really like the way your grill looks. Looks totally different. Did you just paint the vertical pieces ? :thup:
- Martin Gza.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

I have no idea to be honest, I just pulled it off the donor truck =)

I was cautiosly optimistic last night. Made sure that this big girl had the right amount of oil in her.

Got the oil in and fired it up. First turn of the key. Lifters pumped up and I had oil pressure right away. Then my oil pressure sender on the dash went to 0 and EE which means error or no signal :-X16

Shut it off and checked the wiring and sender again, all good fired it up and same thing.

So I ran to the parts house and picked up a mechanical oil pressure guage, removed the factory sender and got this one in its place. Fired it up again and no issues with oil pressure, its a sender or Dakota Digital thing. Ill iron that out this week.

Got it up to temp and got the coolant all topped off and checked everything else out. All looks good.

First trip around the block and its nice and quiet.

Got inside the house about midnight and the shop was a pile of a mess. Weather was supposed to be ok and dry for the first time in what seems like months.

Got up at 5 and got back to work.

Worked on getting the new shifter extension built and installed and the new shift boot and ring glued up and installed. Turned out really good I think

Buttoned up a few things, got the new plates on, cleaned the windows and hit the road for the first real time ever.

Drove south of town a ways and hit the cars and coffee.

Was really interesting to hear people's thoughts an opinions on the truck. People would walk right past it, stop, come back, walk around it and then smile. Lots of people wanted to talk with me about about it. Made me feel good.

Found that 5th gear has an issue with the synchros, Ill have to deal with that but its going to have to wait till I get back. Ill have to deal with it, its not stopping me now.

Had a little noise in the frontend, came home and found that there is a lower balljoint that is pretty trashed so I need to swap that out as well.

Other than that, the truck is pretty awesome, the manual and three pedals is just so refreshing and very, very fun to drive.

Got almost 75 miles on it today without a hiccup from the engine.

Order more parts today.

Sean
Monkey-1

Post by Monkey-1 »

Great news to hear! Glad you got some miles on it today. Payoff for lots of hard work.
-Monkey-1
1985 F-150 Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1519 ... 4-6-a.html
1977 F-100 Flareside Build Thread (CV Swap, 4.6, Frame-Off) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1545 ... hread.html
Studmonkeyracing.com
studmonkey@bellsouth.net
michael9218

Post by michael9218 »

This is good to hear. Congratulations!

I'm also curious how those non power brakes feel with those big rotors...
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

That is awesome! I have never seen someone build a truck so fast! Just wondering if you could come to TN and have mine done by next weekend! :lol:

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Monkey-1 wrote:Great news to hear! Glad you got some miles on it today. Payoff for lots of hard work.
Thanks man and I totally agree. The weather was awesome and I loved it.
michael9218 wrote:This is good to hear. Congratulations!

I'm also curious how those non power brakes feel with those big rotors...
Thank you Michael. It feels good.

The non power brakes definately feel different. Not bad, just different. I took it out early this morning and wanted to see just how well they would bring the old truck to a stop. Got it up to about 50 or so, and hammered on the pedal. I guess I did not really expect it to stop that well. I was unable to get the tires to lock up so I guess I have some work still ahead of me, I also have some pretty sticky 275's all around. I have messed with the proportioning valve and the rears don't lock up I hope to do some more testing on these this week. Overall, it stops damn good. Better than expected considering my initial pedal feel thought they would.
IN2FORD wrote:That is awesome! I have never seen someone build a truck so fast! Just wondering if you could come to TN and have mine done by next weekend! :lol:

Barry
Thanks, I have never built a truck this fast, I usually dont have a deadline and just build at my own pace. This was a lot different. You let me know when you want me to come out there, probably need a week though =)

Well, I had a pretty successful day yesterday. I was hearing a lot of noise from the passenger front wheel though when coming to a stop. I got home and jacked up that corner and looked things over. I found that I had overlooked a pretty hammered lower ball joint and a wasted wheel hub. So, parts got ordered and then this commenced last night.

I also got the opportunity as written above to hammer on the brakes a few times. Nothing broke =) Stops the truck pretty damn good. Also drove it this morning and the brake noise on the passenger side is all gone.

Had to do a bunch of other stuff today, a little emergency car rescue with the trailer for a buddy and some clean up around the house.

I pulled the passenger seat out and finally got around to putting the seatbelt on that side as well. I had found some paint for the brackets that I wanted to try, its satin dark walnut and Ill be damned if its not almost an exact match to the seat material. I was super happy with how that whole seat, seat bracket and seat belt turned out.

I also spent the time to build the brackets to hold the door switches and got those all wired up to the revolution electronics module for the soft on, delay, soft off. Got the under dash lights all installed and wired up as well.

I really dig the interior, its super clean and functional.

Took it over to the scales to see what I was working with. Full tank of gas in it and its right at 3500 lbs. Not too bad.

Gotta try and figure out the vibration tomorrow, get a better alignment on the old girl and work on the car trailer. 4 days to go till I gotta head to California.
my79f

Post by my79f »

Pretty awesome to see the outcome!! After you put some miles on it, im really interested to hear your opinion between the coyote and the LS motor. Not necessarily the power levels, but overall characteristics and things you like/dislike.
EDVSU

Post by EDVSU »

I totally dig your interior. If mine was stick I would totally offer some cash for a console like yours. It's awesome. With the lights, and stitching on the seats looks real good.
Good to hear you enjoying the fruits of your labor. A+ Sweet job man.
- Martin Gza.
GOODOLEBOY84

Post by GOODOLEBOY84 »

what are the backspacing on your wheels, and would you rather have 20's or 18's, im wanting to do the crown vic swap on my 68 just dunno what size wheel to go with, thanks Dustin
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

EDVSU wrote:I totally dig your interior. If mine was stick I would totally offer some cash for a console like yours. It's awesome. With the lights, and stitching on the seats looks real good.
Good to hear you enjoying the fruits of your labor. A+ Sweet job man.
Thank you, I think its coming along really well. It will get some more treatments too, keep an eye out.
my79f wrote:Pretty awesome to see the outcome!! After you put some miles on it, im really interested to hear your opinion between the coyote and the LS motor. Not necessarily the power levels, but overall characteristics and things you like/dislike.
I have about 150 or so miles on it, its very different than the LS truck. The manual transmission, better suspension and low ride height are just plain awesome. It drives and rides extremely well with this setup. The Coyote is a different animal, it has a fair bit of power down low, which I was not expecting and the sound, the sound is just music to your ears. :thup:
GOODOLEBOY84 wrote:what are the backspacing on your wheels, and would you rather have 20's or 18's, im wanting to do the crown vic swap on my 68 just dunno what size wheel to go with, thanks Dustin
I would rather have 20's or bigger tires on the 18's. These trucks are not small, I think it takes bigger to fill the wheelwells, totally just my opinion though. Either can be made to work really well.

I was going to just live with the unfinished parts behind the seat but the other night when I was painting the seat brackets and getting the seats installed, I just could not stand it any longer and got to work.

I started by building some panels to cover up the unsightly back part of the cab where the fuel tank used to reside. They are super light, made of plastic and pretty easy to work with.

A little sanding on the pieces and they were ready to get covered.

I still was having some trouble with what to do about the back wall flat area, but I knew that I needed to continue the stitch.

I cut some 1/2" x 3/4" pieces and rounded over one side and glued it to the flat PVC Foamboard, it glues together nicely. I got that stuff covered and also cut out the center panel to get the stitch done on.

A quick trip up to the upholsterer and Voila.

Its not perfect, but its about 100x better than before. I would like to make it have some curve like the front, maybe on the next one.

I also made a trip to the alignment shop as well. I heard about some people locally that could do a more performance oriented alignment and they certainly did not dissapoint.

We got the truck right up on the rack and they threw their fancy stuff on it and got a baseline.

All of my measuring, remeasuring and OCd of placement of the links, suspension points and front end paid off as they were pretty suprised to see how close I had everything. Chassis is square and suspension is all within 1/16th of an inch of where it should be, wheelbase was about perfect side to side as well. We started with 5.66 degrees of caster, .10 degree of toe and 1.56 and 1.55 degree of negative camber. I was shocked.

They straightened out the steering wheel, dialed in the camber right at 2 degrees and left the caster alone. I seriously encourage anyone who does this swap to keep the lower rear suspension mounts at a 45 degree angle and if you are going to lower it, install the SPC Camber adjustment bolts. Both allowed me to have a very functional front suspension and a pretty low ride height.

I also put on my new sticker....Manual Gearbox Preservation society =)

Still chasing the vibration, but I adjusted the lower rear links to the next hole up and went in 5 clicks on the adjusters of the coilovers and it made a huge difference.

Wheel travel is much more controlled and ride is greatly improved. Hope to mess with it some more tomorrow.

Sean