Widened '60's hubcaps for trucks with '70's power disc brakes

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

swbeck18

Re: Widened '60's hubcaps for trucks with '70's power disc brakes

Post by swbeck18 »

Hi 69timemachine

Just found this post after joining the group last year. I really like the removal tool you made and I'm wondering if you want to market them? Just kidding but I've had a fun time removing the caps from my 69 250. I resorted to using a cheap pair of harbor freight angled needle nose pliers the first time to pop them off. Looking for something a little more permanent if someone has any ideas?
1969 F250 Camper Special, 360
2012 F150 4x4 Lariat, 3.5 EcoBoost
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Widened '60's hubcaps for trucks with '70's power disc brakes

Post by 69timemachine »

If your wheels are stock width, you should be able to use a jumbo flathead screwdriver, a tire spoon, or an angled pry bar. Any tool store will have those. Maybe add a piece of rubber hose around the shank so it doesn't chip your paint.
If you're running extra wide wheels with the caps recessed way up in there, then building a tool like the one I did will be your best option.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
"Where there's a wheel, there's a way!"
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Sold: '77 F100, '72 Gran Torino, '76 El Camino with 454 & TH400