71 F250 4x4 Kingpin Replacement

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

dougster

71 F250 4x4 Kingpin Replacement

Post by dougster »

Noticed my left front wheel was kicked out a bit on the bottom (negative camber). Was worried axle was possibly bent. Lifted wheel off the ground.....looseness appears to be in the kingpin area.

Dana 44 (446F) closed small knuckle front axle.

Appears to be tapered roller bearings for king pin bearings. Aside from pulling the hubs, brakes, backing plates. drag link and tie rods off....doesn't look that bad to do.

Anyone done these before? How big of a job is it? Any tips? Any issue with getting parts?

Right side has no play...should I do it to?

Thanks
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 71 F250 4x4 Kingpin Replacement

Post by eggman918 »

I have done the big knuckle 44's thew are straight forward the only parts I had trouble finding were the shims for the bearing caps the seem to be bone yard parts. At that time bronco Graveyard carried the knuckle seals for the large knuckle but the last time I was on their site I did not see them for the small knuckle you might find them from the old full size Jeep crowd.you need to have some preload on the timken bearings I can't remember how much but as there is no rotational speed doing it by "feel" should get you close enough.You can assemble them with the top cap snug without shims then tighten the lower cap evenly with the axle on stands and use a feeler gauge to get a measurement of the gap, subtract another .005" and divide that by 2 giving you the shim thickness for each cap.
Steve.
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?