Found Spring Under '69 Highboy

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

stover

Found Spring Under '69 Highboy

Post by stover »

I found this spring under my '69 F250 4x4 while truck was parked in my driveway. I have look at a few exploded view diagrams but can't find the spring. Spring hook has broken off on right hand side. Hook on left side is fine. Spring measures around 16 inches.

Ebrake seems OK. Transmission shifts fine. Transfer case is difficult to move in and out of 4 wheel drive. Does anybody know where this spring goes?

:fr:
'68 Mustang
'69 F250 4x4
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Found Spring Under '69 Highboy

Post by popeyes71 »

That spring maybe one of the springs that help hold up one of the two the E-Brake cables right in front of the rear-end. One end of the spring attaches to a bracket on the frame and the other hooks around the E-Brake cable. That's my guess, hope that helps.
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
stover

Post by stover »

Hi Popeyes. You may be right. The spring looks like 2A651 in below diagram. I will check it out later today

'68 Mustang
'69 F250 4x4
stover

Post by stover »

Well it is not 2A651. The Ebrake cable assembly on my truck looks more like the drawing below.

Note that 2A651 is not shown in this drawing. I don't thnik that it is the 2a709 retainer spring (although it maybe).

Any other ideas?
'68 Mustang
'69 F250 4x4
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

Looks like the spring that goes beside the clutch adjustment rod between the Z bar and the throw out.
stover

Post by stover »

Looks like the spring that goes beside the clutch adjustment rod between the Z bar and the throw out.
Hmmmm. Possibly. Would I notice a loose or floppy clutch pedal if this spring was missing?
'68 Mustang
'69 F250 4x4
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

popeyes71 wrote:That spring maybe one of the springs that help hold up one of the two the E-Brake cables right in front of the rear-end. One end of the spring attaches to a bracket on the frame and the other hooks around the E-Brake cable. That's my guess, hope that helps.
What popeye is referring to is a spring that pulls the e-brake cable away from the leaf springs. My 2wd long bed had them. It hooks in a central hole in a x/m and just hooks around the e-brake cable to keep it pulled back. I don't see them in the diagrams. My clutch return spring was a larger diameter than that one but may not have been the original spring.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

It's clutch fork helper spring. It hooks to the clutch fork and the other side hooks to the frame. On a 2wd, a a hole on the front crossmember.
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

sargentrs wrote:
popeyes71 wrote:That spring maybe one of the springs that help hold up one of the two the E-Brake cables right in front of the rear-end. One end of the spring attaches to a bracket on the frame and the other hooks around the E-Brake cable. That's my guess, hope that helps.
What popeye is referring to is a spring that pulls the e-brake cable away from the leaf springs. My 2wd long bed had them. It hooks in a central hole in a x/m and just hooks around the e-brake cable to keep it pulled back. I don't see them in the diagrams. My clutch return spring was a larger diameter than that one but may not have been the original spring.
:yt: Thanks sargentrs. I guess what I am wondering is where under the truck did you find it laying on the ground? That may narrow it down to the location of the mystery spring.
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
stover

Post by stover »

It's clutch fork helper spring. It hooks to the clutch fork and the other side hooks to the frame. On a 2wd, a a hole on the front crossmember.
Thanks HIO. I see the spring you mentioned in below diagram. I also see a spring on the clutch pedal. I will check it out over the weekend.

Thanks for the clarification Sargentrs. Spring doesn't seem to be the right size.
I guess what I am wondering is where under the truck did you find it laying on the ground? That may narrow it down to the location of the mystery spring.
Popeyes I have been asking myself the same question. I pick up the spring and didn't check things out at the time. Now I am not sure where the spring was exactly.
'68 Mustang
'69 F250 4x4
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

I cant see the picture from my phone. But the trucks had 4-5 springs that i can thing of. And all of those springs have been named. To just guess. My guess is a helper spring on clutch z bar added by someone wirh a heavy clutch foot.

One thing to think about doing to all springs under your truck. Is to bend the hook over. That way if one end comes unhooked. U wont loose the spring.
stover

Post by stover »

fordman wrote:One thing to think about doing to all springs under your truck. Is to bend the hook over. That way if one end comes unhooked. U wont loose the spring.
Good idea. I think I will start bending the hooks over on all springs.

Didn't get a chance to investigate more over the weekend. Visiting family members and bad weather got in the way. Work is going to keep me pretty busy this week. I wont get back to this until next weekend.
'68 Mustang
'69 F250 4x4