Pics needed of bell to cross member clearance

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

carbine2

Pics needed of bell to cross member clearance

Post by carbine2 »

Hello,
I am in the middle of putting my 429- NP435- married NP205 in my '69 crew. I sorted out the trans cross member issue but the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder is running into the cross member under the bell housing. Before I start cutting I want to see what it looks like with a stock FE and mechanical clutch. So far it looks like I will need to delete the cross member. I'm not so sure this is a good option as it is at the point where the rear shackles of the front springs connect. Or I may have to take the trans out and replace with a mechanical clutch.

Some people are a lot like a slinky. Generally useless, but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.
1969 F-250 Crew Cab 2WD
1969 F-250 Crew Cab 4X4. Under construction.
1972 F-250 Crew Cab 2WD. Stolen in 2002. Still looking.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Pics needed of bell to cross member clearance

Post by HIO Silver »

I sure as hell wouldn't delete a crossmember -especially on a 4x4. They add torsional stiffness. A sanitary solution would be to clearance the crossmember to allow the clutch slave to operate and then restore its structural integrity by welding in a relief pocket. C'mon be a pro about it... not a hack!
carbine2

Post by carbine2 »

I agree. If I cut it out it will get replaced with something else before being driven. I was first thinking of cutting a hole and boxing it in so the slave would fit but can't seem to find anyone able to do so. I've also been trying to find other trucks in town to look at to compare. So far all I can find are converted to auto. The only manual I found looks like the bell sits way farther forward than mine and clears this cross member without any issues. Now I'm not sure about the engine mounts for the 429.
Some people are a lot like a slinky. Generally useless, but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.
1969 F-250 Crew Cab 2WD
carbine2

Post by carbine2 »

I agree. If I cut it out it will get replaced with something else before being driven. I was first thinking of cutting a hole and boxing it in so the slave would fit but can't seem to find anyone able to do so. I've also been trying to find other trucks in town to look at to compare. So far all I can find are converted to auto. The only manual I found looks like the bell sits way farther forward than mine and clears this cross member without any issues. Now I'm not sure about the engine mounts for the 429.
1969 F-250 Crew Cab 2WD
carbine2

Post by carbine2 »

Turns out this was a temporary attack of dumb ass. When I got under the truck to take a closer look, I found that the issue was the cross member out of position. It was wedged so tight against another bracket that it seemed to be mounted solid. After sliding it back to it's place everything seems to fit.

Allen
1969 F-250 Crew Cab 2WD