Questions about Drum to disc conversion

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

crozetiga

Questions about Drum to disc conversion

Post by crozetiga »

I just bought my donor truck today for disc conversion on my 70 f100. Now I have questions... several

I have limited income(at least my wife says its limited when it comes to buying truck parts) so I have to save up alittle bit to buy all the parts i need for the conversion. Does anyone have a parts list of things that you need for the conversion and approximate prices.

I have thought of these items but have no idea how much they cost. (I could look them all up but if someone had a list already made up that would be a heck of alot easier):

Kingpin kit
bushings for rear connections of the I beams
axle pivot bushings
(can you buy a kit with all of the front end bushings?)
new calibers
new rotors
new wheel bearings
rubber brake lines
metal brake lines
connectors for metal brake lines
bending tool for metal brake lines
flaring tool for metal brake lines
Cost of having a machine shop ream and reinstall kingpins

Is there anything that I am missing? I am sure there is.
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Questions about Drum to disc conversion

Post by trukcrazy »

Have you read this? http://www.fordification.com/discbrakes01.htm
It will get you going in the right direction. :D
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

If the tie rods on your donor truck are worn out you will need those, too. A new set is about $150.00. You might be able to use some of the steel lines from your donor. Is the master cylinder/booster on your donor useable? A rebuilt one is about $130.00 exch.
Rotors--$45.00 ea.
Kingpins--$50.00 set
Calipers-loaded- $45.00 ea
Bushings-- under $50.00
69 F-100 Ranger 302
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

are your current caliper no good? if there good then why get new ones? unless you just want to make sure you don't have to mess with them for a while. if they work now and money is tight then use the old ones for awhile if you can. and don't forget to get the frame bracket for the brake lines. this is so the lines won't rub on the wheels. or get in the way or get too much vibration and cause damage to them.
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

If you are on a budget, try to reuse/repair all the pieces and parts that you can. Calipers and master cylinders can be successfully rebuilt if needed, rotors can be turned if still in spec, brake lines reused if not corroded, and king pins don't need to be replaced if still in good shape. I think that 1) wear parts like bushings and brake pads should be replaced and that 2) some of the new parts we have to use are not as good as some of the used, OEM parts on the trucks. Of course if you want new, then save your money and do all the work at one time. :2cents:
Billybobjunky

Post by Billybobjunky »

I'm at the end of my disc brake conversion and so far i've spent $70 bucks, and that is really lookin to be about all i need to spend, all the steel lines were reusable, i'm getting new rotor/hubs for 25 a piece, calipers for 10 a piece, and i took the kingpins out myself, and a friend with a press and reamer is gonna reinstall em for me, bushings cost me 42 bucks for the Energy Suspension polyurethane ones, check out www.energysuspensionparts.com, good deals there. Try to be as economical as possible. Check your friend network and see if you know someone with a press, the guy doin mine i didn't even know he had one! Good luck!
1967 SWB 2wd F100

-'77 V8 [[[410]]]
-'74 C6
-Re-wired main harness
-Disc Brakes/Power Steering
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

If your working on a tight budget, you can save by lookin at what's good
to keep. You don't want to cut corners on brakes. The rest of these trucks
is so over enginered/built, that you can repair/upgrade later. With any
hydrauic braking system the master and slave cyl's have to work. The
pads and rotors have to be in good shape. Safety first. :)
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

question do we need the newer distribution/warning sensor block?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yes you should use the newer porpotioning valve with the swap i would think. for better equaization of the braking power to each wheel.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

:yt: because otherwise your rear brakes will lock up before the fronts start working. these trucks have enough of a problem with that, already!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!