speedo gear

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Ranchero50

Re: speedo gear

Post by Ranchero50 »

It's been ages but I'm pretty sure the different LH or RH gears were for which side of the tailshaft the cable came out of. If memory serves, there were 7, or 8 teeth shaft gears and multiple cable gears in both directions.

But to answer your question, spin the coupling on the speedo to see which direction makes the needle go the correct direction.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
1967Rhonda

Post by 1967Rhonda »

Thanks!! I spin the back of the speedo clockwise and the needle rises, and my cable spins the other way. I'm thinkin someone put the wrong drive gear in the truck before I got it. If that and the new cable doesn't fix it, I'll be using the GPS speedo app on my phone!
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 91Bear »

I'm resurrecting this thread from 7 years ago because my speedo isn't working. I can look in the hole in the transmission but I don't see a drive gear in there. I don't feel anything by sticking my finger in there either. Either the gear is gone or has moved out of place.
I have purchased a new gear from Dennis Carpenter but where do I get the ball bearing and the C-clip that holds it in place?