Hackster's 1968 f100 CV Swap

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Bigfreeb

Re: Hackster's 1968 f100 CV Swap

Post by Bigfreeb »

First question Sean! What is the offset on your wheels? I'm thinking about going Cobra R or Bullitt in the 18x9 front and 18x10 or 10.5 rear. I'm going to sell my '66 Fairlane and buy some of the expensive stuff before the cash vaporizes! probably going to buy the wiring harness and wheels/tires.

Shameless plug, anybody in the northwest looking for a '66 Fairlane I got one $3500...
Shawn
1968 F100 Ranger 360 soon to have CV swap
1969 F250 Ranger 360 2 owner Dad and me
2001 Exploder Sport Trac
2005 F250 King Ranch Crew cab S/B 6.0l
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Not too sure that anyone is following along on this build anymore....Ill keep updating it for a little while though. If you are following along give me a :thup: or a :nono: if you hate the ls swap.....either way it keeps me motivated.

Managed to get some spacers built for the sway bar and get it installed. It just clears the exhaust flex coupler....I mean by a few sheets of paper clears. But I dont think either of them are going to move too much in the center. We will see I guess. Not much more down room to go before I get into steering issues.

Wow.....this thing is a totally different machine with the sway bar on it. It handles like its on rails. Steering response is right now with very little body roll if any. Its a 1.25" bar.

Moving forward....I had a air fuel guage mounted in the ash tray temporarily and it kind of grew on me having a real guage on the truck for this instead of the KIWI stuff.

Headed to the junk yard and picked up a second ash tray to keep the stocker just incase.

Did a little measuring and trimming and drilling and now I have an ash tray that slides in and out of the dash with a slick little air fuel guage in it and looks totally stock from the outside.

I tore it all apart last night for some body work and painting. Paint is drying now should have some glamour shots of it later in the day when I am back home. At work for a few hours today. Hoping to make a trip back to the yard later today to snag a sweet guage cluster to build the Dakota Digital stuff into.

Been driving the truck a little bit, its getting better and better with each little thing that gets done to it. I am a little afraid that I am getting close to "Done" with it.

Seriously considering building a brother to this one. Leave the outside paint all old looking, crown vic front end, coil overs, sway bar, huge brakes and proper wheels and tires. This time with an all aluminum LS3 and a 6 speed manual. Just seems like it would be super fun.

Truck makes a great driver surprisingly.

Sean
Bigfreeb

Post by Bigfreeb »

:thup: I check it everyday. I love the ideas that all these different threads have. Little things that you guys do all add up. Some things to incorporate into a build some to make better! Keep up the good work!!
1968 F100 Ranger 360 soon to have CV swap
1969 F250 Ranger 360 2 owner Dad and me
2001 Exploder Sport Trac
2005 F250 King Ranch Crew cab S/B 6.0l
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Definitely followling. I am building the brother truck(keeping the krusty look) only with a Ford power plant. Currently painting the frame but have pulled many a good info from your thread! Beautiful truck!!

Barry
rbeck204

Post by rbeck204 »

I am also guilty of putting a GM engine in my Ford (1961 Unibody short bed). Used a Camaro clip, a 5.3 all aluminum Vortec, a 4L60E and a Camaro rear end. Drives amazing.

I think you did a great job and I appreciate the workmanship. To me, it's your money, your project, build it any way you want. Keep up the good work.

Rich
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

got a question about your brakes. what are you using for the distribution block/proportioning valve? i am using 4 wheel discs with the mustang hydoboost and figured i would use the mustang valve only mount it on the frame in the factory spot for the F100. I have a manual Willwood valve as well i thought about using and eliminate the valve in the mustang distribution block.

barry
poke em

Post by poke em »

I love this build and check for updates at least every other day. I'm currently doing a 68 LWB with crown vic front and mark viii IRS and running gear and have learned a lot from your build. I should be ready to fire it up in the next month or so.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Well look at that people do still read this thing.... Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like everyone has some level of project going on right now.

On the brake dist. I am running the stock f100 distribution line, it worked perfectly for what I was doing and make the connection all pretty easy if I recall correctly. As I mentioned before though, I am not running a proportioning valve.....I also have not done any insane breaking with the truck to see what happens. I do know that it stops extremely well with the setup that is on it now. I will likely need to get a proportioning valve installed when I do the new front setup in the next couple weeks.

As promised, here is a couple quick photos of the dash.

Turned out pretty good if you ask me. Open the door and there is the guage.

Took the truck out yesterday for a little cruise to the east side and picked up a little powered subwoofer. Need to get that installed in the next week or so but have some other items that are pressing first.

Did a little work on the paint, trying to touch up a couple of chips on the passenger interior door panel from the wife's seat belt..and one on the drip rail. Went over the entire truck with a fine cleaning compound and top coat wax. It made a huge difference truck looks damn good especially for a budget paint job.
cole71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cole71 »

Are you running a sway bar only in the front? Do they make a noticeable difference? I'm lowered on DJM dream beams and was thinking of getting one for the front if it makes a difference.
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

cole71 wrote:Are you running a sway bar only in the front? Do they make a noticeable difference? I'm lowered on DJM dream beams and was thinking of getting one for the front if it makes a difference.
Yes sway bar in the front only.....and yes huge difference. I am on a crown vic setup though with single adjustable QA1 coilovers.

Truck does not drive or handle like a truck at all. Drives and handles like a new car more than anything.

Sean
cole71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cole71 »

Thanks, Sean. I'll get one later then. Checked with Jegs and Summit and they are a month away from shipping so I guess I'll be waiting.

P.S very nice work by the way.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Give us some more info on the QA1 setup in the front? Is it for a Crown Vic or something you modified to work?

Barry
hackster
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hackster »

Mike Naake makes the setup. It is specifically built as a bolt in to the Crown Vic setup. Believe it or not the aftermarket is becoming active with these frontends as an option for non Marauder/ Crown Vic/ Panther stuff.

I have a late model aluminum K member, QA1 Coilovers, A big Brake kit on the way and an Addco Sway bar, all that work very well together so far and none of it really required much as far as fabrication or piece mealing this stuff together. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

http://www.naake.com/store/street-and-d ... y-marauder

Link to his page....awesome guy to work with, reasonable prices and knows his ****.

Let me know if you need more info.

Sean
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Thanks for the info Sean. Keep us posted.

Barry
SATURN5

Post by SATURN5 »

Do you happen to know the QA1 part number for the shocks or the extended/retracted length? Thanks, Bob
Bob
68 F100 Flareside, CVIFS, Cobra IRS, DOHC, M122, MS3, T45, 4.10, Cobra brakes
84 Mustang SVO, B234F, HE351, Full Cobra spec suspension and brakes including IRS, T-tops
96 Mark VIII, Complete chassis bracing, 03 Cobra wheels, Maruader converter, built trans.