Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Ball Joint Installation Tool- Harbor Freight

Post by Madman »

Operation "Spud"

I am installing a Dana 44 w/ disc brakes from a 76 F250 and bought the Ball Joint Tool from Harbor Freight.

Instructions are not the best, and lead to confusion (diagram shows ball joint pressed backwards) and it was hard to tell on an un-cleaned up, oily gunky differential. But after a little trial and error, the tool performed pretty well. I used an 1/2 inch impact wrench instead of a torque bar, less flex or uneven pressure on the application. The Harbor Freight tool did well, and at half the cost of the next cheapest tool I could find. Just an FYI.
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
addme5700

Re: Ball Joint Installation Tool- Harbor Freight

Post by addme5700 »

It's all relative as to how much "ooze" you are dealing with. In my case I had 4 D's that had decomposed, BIG TIME...........like years???.............Not just a leaking battery..
**ADD ME**
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Yeah, sometimes the cheap tools will surprise you. When I was swapping my manual steering for power steering, I bought a Pitman arm puller at Princess Auto for around $20 and figured I'd give it a try. The tool did the job and it's still in one piece. :yip:
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

addme5700 wrote:It's all relative as to how much "ooze" you are dealing with. In my case I had 4 D's that had decomposed, BIG TIME...........like years???.............Not just a leaking battery..

Eh? :?
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Nitekruizer wrote:Yeah, sometimes the cheap tools will surprise you. When I was swapping my manual steering for power steering, I bought a Pitman arm puller at Princess Auto for around $20 and figured I'd give it a try. The tool did the job and it's still in one piece. :yip:

"Princess Auto"??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

ToughOldFord wrote:
Nitekruizer wrote:Yeah, sometimes the cheap tools will surprise you. When I was swapping my manual steering for power steering, I bought a Pitman arm puller at Princess Auto for around $20 and figured I'd give it a try. The tool did the job and it's still in one piece. :yip:

"Princess Auto"??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL! There really is such a place. :lol: http://www.princessauto.com
From what I can tell, it may be something like Harbour Freight? I don't know. There aren't any Harbour Freight stores around here. :)
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)