Highboy front spring replacement

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

dougster

Re: Highboy front spring replacement

Post by dougster »

So this is how my truck sits now. 1971 F260 with 6800 lb GVW. I had the truck re-sprung (fronts were sagging) and these pics are how it sits on the new springs (had front and rear replaced a few years ago). The truck sits not bad but there is a difference from the front to rear of approx 3"; the front is 3" lower than the rear measured at the chrome strip right above the wheels. The shop couldn't tell me how the truck was supposed to sit.

I have been playing around with a hydraulic jack just lifting the front end up a bit to see what looks best. If I lift the front so it's level with the back.....it looks like the front end is way higher than the back. I'm thinking the truck looks "right" with the front end ~1" lower than the rear; a small amount of rake on the truck.

I've talked to the spring place.....I'll take them off and they can re-arch a bit and/or add another leaf (I also asked about the short leaf as a spacer too).

What has anyone figured out with this......on a F260 how should the truck sit (front to back)? I.e. what was stock, does anyone have a pic that they think looks "right" and what is the measurment?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.