Rear Parking Brake Cable(s) Question

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Rear Parking Brake Cable(s) Question

Post by dcbullet »

I am putting a 1972 9inch under my 1968 F-100. I need to get new parking brake cables (the 2 in the rear). The catalogs (NPD and LMC) list separate cables for 1967-1969 and 1970-1972. Anybody know which I would buy? :hmm:

I currently have a Dana 60 from an F250 under there so that isn't much help for me to figure it out.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

No ideas on this one eh?

I was thinking that the differences could be either how the two cables attach to the center cable (in which case I'd need the 67-69 cables) or in how they attach to the parking brake lever inside the drum (in which case I'd need the 70-72 cables).

A little bump in case someone knows.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Rear Parking Brake Cable(s) Question

Post by FORDification »

I should be at the shop this weekend, and I can compare the cables from the '72 parts truck with the '67 F250 cables I have and see what the difference is. I'm thinking that the difference is in the length. Earlier cables were all one size, for both SWB and LWB trucks, and there was a short extension cable between the ends and the e-brake equalizer. I believe the later cables are all one piece, but I'm not entirely sure. I'll let you know what I find out.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

That would be appreciated Keith but I notice that you say compared to 67 F250 cables. I assume that the connection point at the center of the truck is the same between the F100 and F250 and the difference is how they connect to the 1/2 vs 3/4 ton drums (with regard to the difference between F100 and F250 cables in a given year)? If that is a correct assumption then I think your comparison would be valid.

Thanks!