1968 F100 2wd style side short bed.

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 1968 F100 2wd style side short bed.

Post by Craigerf100 »

not too many updates worth wild. I had to drive her as a daily driver for a few days and though it was 90 plus degrees I enjoyed it non the less.

im making slow work on sanding and prepping the new 67 grille I plan to swop in. the present 67 grille as u can see in pics has a significant dent that for the life of me I cant take out.

im planning to lower the front another inch or two, as well as the rear via just shackles.

im sitting on an 88 roller 302 im again making slow work of building. im sitting on the cash that was planned for parts for the 302 but I have a built 351w im dyeing to buy but I just cant find the time to go and check it out all the while contemplating if I should buy it at all and just finish the 302. grrrrr 1st world problems. lol

next big project out of many that's needing done on my truck. is tackling the rust on the pass. door and dents in the bed.

the parts list Is never ending ofcourse.

ive contemplated selling the truck but I just cant do that till shes atleast more complete. ergo new engine, role pan, floor shifter, carpet and at best rebuilding a t5 ive got sitting in my garage.

:?
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
biggene

Post by biggene »

Just remember the old adage while you are trying to decide which motor to go with, "There is no replacement for displacement!" :woohoo:
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

1968 F-100 Short Bed

Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

A little write up I did on the MC/ booster setup I chose.

This is for those of you who wish to upgrade your braking power in your 57-72 f-series pickups. for under a $100. interested?
Good, this is a simple enough upgrade that does NOT require many modifications, if any.
(73-79 with an angled brake rod)
In this write up i will be using:

A early 90s explorer master cylinder(MC): $30
A new universal brake booster, single or dual diaphragm: $25-50
A NON angled or cantilever booster bracket:$20
Non cantilever type:
Cantilever type:
Last but not least a universal adjustable brake push rod: $20
For manual brake application:
And an OPTIONAL adjustable proportioning valve for those of u who are running front disc brakes on your orginal drum brake valve: $30
Just for estetic reasons here are 3 possible modifications that u might have to make to mate these 4 parts togeather.
1st: on the MC you might have to widen the bolt holes to fit over the brake boosters thicker bolts. this can be accomplished by a large drill bit or a large file. both tools are cheap and your local harbor freight or equivalant.

2nd: you mignt have to drill 2 extra wholes in your universal booster bracket to mount the brackets up using your original 4 fire wall bolts. (this is not needed if u have the oem original booster brackets)

3rd: this isnt a "modification" neccisarly. but there is a bolt and nut at the front of your booster (MC side). that will need loosening till its extended out. then tightened. i personily tool the bolt nd fround a longer rounded end bolt of the same thread and installed it. this is most likely needed because your MC may have a deeper reciever.

Some other possible but unlikly modifications:
*modify the adjustable brake push rod to fit snug
*drill another whole in your brake pedal so the brake rod is aligned right.

Now the optional proportioning valve. its purpose is to be spliced in the rear brake line, if u are running the block valve with front disc brakes. so u can reduce the pressure to your rear drum brakes if u see fit. as the rear drums have a tendancy to lock up sooner then the front disc. (not needed if u have all 4 wheel disc or all 4 wheel drums)

On each part comes all the nuts, fittings, and correct threads to bolt these up.

here are the links to the parts on ebay:
MC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/261873730837
booster
https://www.ebay.com/itm/301939900687
bracket
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391061427433
brake rod
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182129088608
valve
https://www.ebay.com/itm/321591870033
1968 F-100 Short Bed

Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

well I wont be working on anything big with the pickup any time soon. I broke my leg about 2 months ago and as u can imagine I havnt been able to work. ergo no truck budget. I should be back on my feet in a months time. :( scroll down if u wanna see what a shattered fibula looks like.

1968 F-100 Short Bed

FOWLER

Post by FOWLER »

Damn guy that will mess up an afternoon or two. Hope the rehab is quick and the Doc isn't stingy with the meds. My brother did almost the same thing couple years ago while we were golfing of all things, except his exited the skin. As I a get well gesture I had Joe Theisman ( we are big skins fans) autograph his X-ray with "welcome to the club! -Joe" Random story but figured you'd need a laugh. Get well!
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

FOWLER wrote:Damn guy that will mess up an afternoon or two. Hope the rehab is quick and the Doc isn't stingy with the meds. My brother did almost the same thing couple years ago while we were golfing of all things, except his exited the skin. As I a get well gesture I had Joe Theisman ( we are big skins fans) autograph his X-ray with "welcome to the club! -Joe" Random story but figured you'd need a laugh. Get well!
lol thx fowler, im having a speedy recovery which is nice. good story man, the irony with that story to me is. though it wasn't directly involved with my broken leg. a golf cart was present in the story when I broke my lit lol though I wasn't golfing. :lol: wow joe theisman how cool. im lucky mine didn't exit the skin, real lucky. as for meds I've gotta say, almost this entire time. from brake, to surgery, to now I have been pain free. like major pain. ive been uncomfortable and my leg has hurt here or there. so pain meds I used sparingly and havnt used them for about a month. there was one time though 11 hrs after surgery my leg from the knee down started waking up from a nerve block they did. and man o man I had my face dug into a pillow it hurt so bad. though the pain was the nerves waking up and not so much pain from my leg or incision. I used the pain meds heavy for that day lol lets just say I was sitting pretty with my head in the clouds after they kicked in.
1968 F-100 Short Bed

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Dayam! That had to hurt. Prayers for a speedy recovery! Hey, when they take those screws out might want to save 'em. Guaranteed not to rust! :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
FordMilla

Post by FordMilla »

Def sorry about the leg but I have a serious question, your thread/post and a few others is why I joined, I'm new here but I wanted to ask is there any recommendations you have on finding a bed like the one on yours? (Your truck)

I have a 67 f100 custom cab and it has the Flareside bed but I'm not too much of a fan of this style and the look of your truck is actually like a base idea of where I want to take my build as I am just beginning.
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

FordMilla wrote:Def sorry about the leg but I have a serious question, your thread/post and a few others is why I joined, I'm new here but I wanted to ask is there any recommendations you have on finding a bed like the one on yours? (Your truck)

I have a 67 f100 custom cab and it has the Flareside bed but I'm not too much of a fan of this style and the look of your truck is actually like a base idea of where I want to take my build as I am just beginning.

hey cool thanks man :thup:
is your question where or how to find a solid bed?
or
what did I look for when searching for a solid short bed?

ill answer both,
search search search search :lol: I kept my eye out, always on the look out. craigslist, local facebook "for sale" groups and swop meets. honestly though, the best way I found any of my hard to find parts. was though parts guys. find yourself some local parts guys that are heavy on the 61-79 ford trucks. I have 2 guys and how I found them is joining up on sites like this and facebook. and reaching out asking if anyone has any part I need for sale. sometimes you get some nice parts for good prices just cause you both love these old bumpside pickups.

what I looked for was a solid rust free bed with little to no holes in the body from side moldings. mainly I didn't want the side and rear reflectors that started in 68. the same with the tailgate. I wanted a blank canvas, if u will. which is why I looked hard for a 67 bed. the 67s had less shiny doodad package options. which means less body work. also I swear the 67s were built with thicker metal. the long beds are way more plentiful then the short beds but tend to be more beat up. im not sure which youre looking for.

post some pics of your truck :D
1968 F-100 Short Bed

Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Craigerf100 »

Thx to a generous fellow bumpsider I got ahold of some 2" wheel spacers. So I installed them the other day.

Before
After
Looks great I think!!

Before
1968 F-100 Short Bed

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

That sucks about the leg, how did you manage to do it? About the worse bone injury I've had involve berber carpet and making a new joint in my little toe. Not nearly as interesting as what my oldest kid did to his hand with the snow blower last winter though...

Love the look of the truck, reminds me of the '80's wide tired stance. Just needs some L-60's on the back.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
FordMilla

Post by FordMilla »

.Thanks man; I swear it feels like I've looked forever. So long to where it seems like I may not know what I'm looking for :lol: but all I ever see here (GA) is longbeds and I don't get out enough to find any local guys with the love of these trucks (one major reason why I joined here) the bed you currently have is exactly what I've been looking for-

I'll have some pics up as soon as I can get a hold of how this site fully works because I believe my files may be too large coming from a mobile device
FordMilla

Post by FordMilla »

Ok, so for a couple pictures of what I'm working with...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FordMilla

Post by FordMilla »

.The last picture is the most recent one where I actually began trying to make time to work on my truck and that day in particular, with a little TLC I got the engine to turn over for the first time in about 9-10 years...

(Pictures were taken with my phone but with all the size rendering to get them to post I see that some pixelated and changed its orientation :oops!: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.