4 barrel intakes

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

ponyexpress

4 barrel intakes

Post by ponyexpress »

Hi guys,

I am pretty new with the FE's. I have been playing with the small blocks. Can someone explain the pros and cons of
an Edelbrock Performer 390 FE Aluminum intake versus a Edelbrock Street master 390 Aluminum intake versus a iron S-code 390 intake. I am thinking that I want to put a 4 barrel on my 360. What would be the best choice? and why? Thanks :fr:
hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: 4 barrel intakes

Post by hotrodfeguy »

I will list them as PERFORMACE goes
1) S-code is pretty much bottom of the barrel but would work good on a stock to warm 360/390

2) edelbrock performer 390 is a good street intake woeks well to about 5K and is a mild intake for 390's mild to wild 360's

3) Edelbrock RPM is the best versitile intake out there for larger 390 up and to about 500HP just don't mix it up with the std performer is why I mention it.

4) the ED steet master and Holley strip dominator is a low profile single plane that works great. Is very close to the Edelbrock RPM and is a great intake even though most look at it and think single plane and think no torque can be made with it. But it will fool those people very quick, it works! also a HP maker to about 500
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0
Corkwheats

Post by Corkwheats »

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the info. I am in the same boat. I'm upgrading my 360 in my 71 Ranger XLT to a 4 Barrel. For me, it's somewhat of a no brainer, on one level. I definitely am interested in "low end", torque, and power. I'm wanting my truck to be a strong "pulling" truck, and not a racing vehicle. So, after much looking, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of an Edelbrock Performer w/Holley 600 CFM. That's all I need for this puppy.

One thing someone may know something about, however - is "port matching". How will the Performer Intake line up with the 360 (stock heads) in my truck? I've been trying to educate myself, and have even considered getting a late 60's cast iron "S" Code 390GT Intake if I could find a nice one one locally. They're usually about $50. But, to get one shipped?.....Yikes! This is my dilemma. I'd prefer the lighter weight Performer Intake. They can be had for about $150 - $175 on the web, and of course shipping would be much less than the cast iron intake.

So, if I knew for certain that the "S" Code Manifold actually matched up better with my 360, and I could get away with nabbing one cheap around town here - that would work for my situation, and save me over $100. I'm a poor working stiff.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
Bob
71 Ranger XLT LB 2WD
Tilt Steering, West Coast Mirrors
390, 9.5-1 C.R., Holley 600, D2 Heads, C-6
Custom Grind Oregon Cam
Flotech Headers, 2.5" Duals w/H-Pipe
hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hotrodfeguy »

I would in that case spring for a Performer intake, the weight alone. Now the port match will be close and if you want to use a die grinder just go by your old gasket as the temlate for the ports on the new itake. Scribe the lines and your golden. But even at the bolt on intake I would spring for the performer intake its alot lighter by 40#. You said you were going for a 600 CFM carb another one out there is the Edelbrock 1406 carb(600CFM) I have not run it but I have heard they have smaller primaries and get slightly better Fuel economy if you can keep your foot of it, and stay on the primary 2V. And if your south of the snow belt or do not drive in the winter get the good fel pro print o seal gaskets with the heat cross over block off built into the intake gasket. This keeps the Exhaust heat out of the intake.

:woohoo:
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0
habu

Post by habu »

I'm hijacking this thread too.

I've just completed an engine build and have a streetmaster, ebay find, as the intake. The carb is a 650 Holley with vacuum secondaries (I'm not a fan of edelbrock carbs). Speaking of torque and this intake, the engine builder suggested a carb spacer with a divider that would imitate a dual-plane intake and would help the bottom end. While I haven't seen any after searching summit and jegs quite a bit, is what he is saying a true statement. Is it something I'll have to worry about. I'm not racing the truck by any means but I want something that makes good/great power and torque. I found the intake on the cheap and after a few quick searches of fordfe.com I decided that between price and what people are saying about the intake I should go ahead and get it, not worrying at the time about the details. :hmm:
1969 F250 Camper Special, 390 2v, C6, PB, Bendix PS, AC, Dana 60. 3rd owner

Soon rebuilt 390, not stock, will be swapped in.
hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hotrodfeguy »

The SM intake is a great intake and does really well in the TQ side. It is a common mistake to think a single plane can't make bottom end or TQ, but this single plane prolly cause it's a low single plane does do just that. It does like it's larger/warmer engines though. So do not stick it on a stock 360 and expect it to pull bigger gains.
Last edited by hotrodfeguy on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0
habu

Post by habu »

OK, cool. Thanks. I've upgraded the valve train quite a bit, but could have gone bigger with the cam. There is also full long-tube headers and MSD ignition going into the truck. It won't be stock.. LOL

Again thank you very much for your help. :thup: :thup:

I'm getting close to dropping this in and it's now the little things that I'm sweating over.

hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hotrodfeguy »

390? Those long tubes are awesome, running duals?
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0
habu

Post by habu »

Yep. Doug Thorley's and 2-1/2 all the way with Magnaflows. The only problem I have is the shop did the cross over just under the tranny pan and I imagine it's getting much hotter than usual. Will probably run a cooler once the new engine and rebuilt trans goes back in.

hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hotrodfeguy »

Just use header wrap for the cross over should solve things :thup:
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Just a word of caution. Be carefull when trying to port match the Performer 390 intake manifold. I was going to port match my manifold to my heads but decided to leave it alone. When I was installing it I noticed that the intake ports in the heads were a lot larger than the ports in the Performer. I don't know which heads I have except that they appear to have been manufactured in 1974. I was going to grind out the manifold ports to the size of the openings in the gasket. I changed my mind because there just wasn't enough material. To get the ports the same size I would have gone right through the aluminum manifold. Since I couldn't get the ports the same size or even close to the same size without making the aluminum paper thin, I decided not to bother and installed it the way it came.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
aearch

Post by aearch »

just finished a 76 conversion used the eldelbrock 2105
and the holley 80453 carb so i could hook up the
exhaust tube and electric idle control
works perfect as is and got the egr plate from eldelbrock
ok
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vwfreak

Post by vwfreak »

ponyexpress wrote: Can someone explain the pros and cons of
an Edelbrock Performer 390 FE Aluminum intake versus a Edelbrock Street master 390 Aluminum intake versus a iron S-code 390 intake. I am thinking that I want to put a 4 barrel on my 360. What would be the best choice? and why? Thanks :fr:
Some of this depends on your budget. What are yo willing to spend? A stock 4barrel intake, while heavy, is also very inexpensive. If you are simply cruising around town why spend the extra $250 on an aluminum intake? If you need great performance skip the Performer and go with the Performer RPM or SM.

Tell us more about the motor you are upgrading? Any other performance mods done or planned? Is it old and tired or fresh rebuilt? If it is a stocker save the $$ for something else and put an iron intake on it unless that $$ is just burning a hole in your britches.
1967 F250 66k original miles when bought in 2012. Original 352 bored and stroked (Oct 13) to 396 cid, Upgrades include Cam Motion solid cam and lifters, C8AE-H heads now flow 220 intake/163-170 exhaust w/o pipes. Current project is a C6 swap in place of the original FMX. 4:10 Dana 60. Truck Custom ordered by original owner in Dark Moss Green over Wimbledon White.
hedz
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hedz »

i always get these confused but i have the stock iron intake with the huge thermostat housing. can't remember if it's the windsor or the cleveland that's what get's me confused. i saved alot of money going this route and i suggest it. only down side in my opinion is junkyarding the thermostat housings. i got lucky and have 2 extra :thup: . what really sucks is that noone makes a quadrajet aluminum or iron intake with built in intake based EGR for the FE. if they did i'm sure we'd all have one. can you say MPGs? maybe one day i can throw a bunch of money at dove and get them to make one. lol

edit: and if you do get the iron 4 barrel try to score a EGR plate that were used in the FE cougars or mustangs. they are a excellent addition!!!!!!! nothing like a huge devoted EGR line for the primaries.
hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hotrodfeguy »

aearch, That engine looks great I always cringe at those exhaust manifolds and what they cost FE's in power. Long tube headers from Flowtech kill those for making power and you can get them from Summit for like $135 for your application. :2cents:

And if you read up the chain I laid out the manifolds and what they are all good for. Good points and Bad what they work well on and not.
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0