mirror troubles

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

mirror troubles

Post by fordman »

my rearview mirror that mounts to my windshield in my 68 ranger won't stay in place. the tube that holds the mirror to the mounting bracket has two srews in it. they are as tight as they can get. but the mirror will just fall back down after awhile. i think that the ball on the mirror it self where it goes into the tube is worn out. i have turned it over and it stays in place but it is harer to see out of because the mirror smiles instead of frowns like its suppose to. so has anyone had this happen to them? if so is the ball what has worn out or is it the tube. i would like to keep the truck original and keep using the same mirror. i even thought about putting some paper in there to keep it from dropping. i have thought about reversing the tube. i have thought about turning the tube from end to end. has this happened to you and if so how did you repair this with out changing out the whole mirror?
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: mirror troubles

Post by 68F250 »

My mirror bracket did the same thing. I slipped in a small piece of emery cloth to tighten it up.

But the mirror itself wasn't in the best of shape and after a few more years it got hard to look through. Ended up removing the whole thing from the windshield and installed one off a '71. It's a little bigger and gives a better view.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
steveheer

re: mirror troubles

Post by steveheer »

Ditto--but my 2 pc bracket showed signs of warping. I ended up using a vise to straighten the two pieces and now it works great. I think they do have these brackets aftermarket but as I recall they are spendy!!
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i'll have to check that out to see if its just the tube. it could be warped.