Alternator/battery gizmo

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Alternator/battery gizmo

Post by Kurt Combs »

Gizmo is a very technical term for; I don't have a better name for it. :) It probably has a real name, but I through out the package, so I don't know what it is. The picture below isn't from my truck, it wouldn't look that dirty. :D Anyway, I found this tester at Harbor Freight today and had to buy it. I immediately plugged it into my cigarette lighter socket and it said my battery was fine. Then I started the truck and it said my alternator was fine. This was good news considering I was 100 miles from home! I paid seven or eight dollars for the tester and it seems like a cool thing to have in your tool chest.
alternator battery tester.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kurt
1972 F-250
Ranchero50

Re: Alternator/battery gizmo

Post by Ranchero50 »

Gizmo's are dangerous. I'll trust my Fluke 79 anyday.

Even my Autometer voltmeter lies to me anymore...
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Donnie
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Donnie »

I like your choice in Fluke meters.......I have Fluke 88 that does way more than the average home tech needs, but for pro use it does many things
that less expensive meters do not do....Costly though unless you are diagnosing other components......I also have an old Simpson analog that I often use for quick checks....I think it is a 260 model, but haven't used it in a awhile.......
A little trivia: Fluke meters went to the moon on that expedition.............had to toss that in :-)...........Donnie :lol:
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

I have:
Fluke, (would have to get up to get the model-sorry guys).
Fieldpiece, (with attachments that Fluke don't make such as an anemometer).
Antique Simpson, (with a few capabilities that Fluke can't touch without big bucks).
And I believe I still have a cheap test light here somewhere! :lol:
And stories of gettin' bit more than once by electricity. :yes:
Agreed on the "Gizmo" it looks like a fire hazard ready to short out any second. :2cents:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4