Critique My Welding

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Critique My Welding

Post by flyboy71 »

Not meaning to hijack the thread but since were talking welding does anyone know the proper way to plug weld a panel that the spot welds were drilled out? I see some say just make circles, some say start at the edge of the hole and some say hold it vertical and just fill the hole with a puddle. I can fill the hole but my MIG sputters and my spot has too much dome. I need more practice too Im sure.
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Critique My Welding

Post by Whateverman »

:2cents: -when you're welding always remember that the angle grinder is your best friend! :wink: :D

-depending on the size of the holes you're filling often times you can use a nail as a piece of filler and then cut/grind the excess off
-if you're just plug welding basically make a little circle (if its a larger hole) and if you can,use a backer -a piece of copper, anything from a penny to a crushed piece of copper pipe ,the weld won't stick to it and it'll make your life a little easier

also flat position welding (the work piece is horizontal) is the easiest and most efficient -not always possible to do tho'
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...