Installing LMC chrome turn signal unit - need help

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
greemero

Installing LMC chrome turn signal unit - need help

Post by greemero »

O.k. I've checked other posts and not seen an answer to my question. Went to get my car inspected the other day and it would pass because the turn signal would not lock and blink. You could jiggle and hold it and get it to blink, but let it go, and it was just steady (only on right turn - left ok).

went to replace cam assembly, but couldn't get steering wheel off (see my other post in Steering), so I opted for the LMC chrome assembly.

Hooked everything up and all the lights light and flash, except when I hit the brakes, then it's just steady. I know the brakes and signals are connected at the switch somehow, and I've hooked up the new one according to diagram, but still no luck. Any ideas about which wires to check coming out of the column. I'm figuring it's just something simple like jumping a wire or disconnecting a wire or something. Anybody else install one of these switched and have any suggestions? Thanks.
Rob
1969 F100
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

First check bulbs (replace if necessary) and clean sockets (grounds) and all connections on all the flashings lights. Use dielectric grease if you have it in reassembly to help when you need to do this again. Since brakes are staying on, pay attention to the rear assemblies. Let us know if that helped.
greemero

re: Installing LMC chrome turn signal unit - need help

Post by greemero »

Here's an update:

After my post, I decided to give it another go. Decided to start from the beginning, but this time I disconnected the original turn signal harnesses. Then I just connected the new switch wires into the female end of the connectors.

Now, everything works like it should EXCEPT when the hazards are on and I hit the brakes - steady, no flashing (without the brakes they work fine). It's odd, because when it's just the regular turn signals, I can hit the brakes and it will continue to flash. :hmm: I guess I might try disconnecting the wires at the hazard flasher, but the new switch has it's own hazard switch and I don't even think a signal even goes to the hazard flasher (from the way it's wired, it appears to use the turn signal flasher).

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Rob
1969 F100
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

I think even the original hazards stop flashing when you step on the brake
69 F-100 Ranger 302
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Right....the brake light switch overrides the hazards. If you're driving down the highway with your hazards on and hit your brakes, the people behind you need to know that so they don't rearend you! ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
greemero

Post by greemero »

Excellent. If that's the case then I'll quit trying to figure it out. I guess it makes sense when you think about it.
Rob
1969 F100