How do I remove batteries stuck in Maglite Flashlight?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

youngone

Re: How do I remove batteries stuck in Maglite Flashlight?

Post by youngone »

Well did you get them out yet? Or did you sent it back to mag lite?
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

91Bear wrote:If your flashlight has Rayovac, Energizer or Duracell batteries in it, send it back and they will replace it for free.

http://www.maglite.com/faq_details.asp?faqProd=1AAA
That link specifically says that Maglite does not warranty battery leakage:
Mag Instrument does not warrant against battery leakage. If the flashlight has been damaged by leakage of batteries, do not return the flashlight to Mag but determine what brand of battery caused the damage and follow the battery manufacturer’s instructions about how to make a damage claim.
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I've had this happen a couple times, but only once on a Maglite.

I'd tried all conventional means to get the batteries out, water, oil, whacking the maglite on a board, etc. Nothing worked. (This maglite was a big, 4D cell version, which I found under the seat of my F500 when I bought it. No idea how long it'd been there, but none of the batteries had 'dates' on them, so this had to be pretty darned old)

Since the batteries were toast, I drilled a hole in the bottom one, screwed in a lag bolt, clamped the bolt in a vise, and pulled the flashlight off of the battery. Same for the second. Third though, required some additional ingenuity.

I welded the lag bolt onto a scrap chunk of all thread, and used a drill extension to drill a hole in No. 3. No. 4 slid out on it's own.

I then used the same drill extension with a wire brush wheel to clean out the tube, and swabbed in some compatible paint.

Cured the paint next to my woodstove for a couple of days, loaded it up with batteries and reinstalled the rear cap, done. Good to go.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Copper67440

Post by Copper67440 »

It says they don't warranty for battery leakage.
Henry helped pay for it all.
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 91Bear »

ToughOldFord wrote: That link specifically says that Maglite does not warranty battery leakage:
That's not what the wording used to say on that page. They have changed their policy, evidently.