Chassis Swap (1972 onto a 2002 Chassis)

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Chassis Swap (1972 onto a 2002 Chassis)

Post by FoPAR »

Not been able to work on it much but I did get some work in today (sorry no new pic's yet) I pulled the front end apart for what feels like the hundredth time :roll: Glad there’s not much to these old trucks, makes mock-up a lot easier. I cut out the Lincoln motor mounts that I had welded in (not in the correct location) going to try to use 73 460 truck mounts because the 2002 frame is the same width as the 67-72 frames in the front. I also pulled the steering shaft off of the 02 cab, it has a nice slip shaft with knuckles at each end. It's a little long but looks like it can be easily modified, so that should really tighten up the steering for the truck combined with the 02’s steering box. Anyway just a quick update, hope to have pic's soon of the steering and engine progress....
"FoPar" because I love Fords and Mopars so just call me FoPar... :D
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Ok so here are the pic's as promised... I got the 460 engine mounts onto the engine and then lowered it into the truck and it looks to be a very close fit for being 30 years apart. With some modifications I think I can make them work.

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

The passenger side is sitting a little low so it's a bit off. I will have to build a spacer to lift it up on that side. Also will need to build a platform for the lower part to sit on as each side is hanging out with nothing to sit on.

As for the steering shaft I was able to get that cut down to a workable size. The stock length was 33" fully extended and just over 24" completely compressed, and the distance from the steering box to the bottom of the steering column was 22". So to make it work I chopped it down.

The top linkage is from the 77 Lincoln, the center part is the steering column shaft from the 02 and the lower slip shaft is also from the 02

I cut the welds that held the lower shaft in the tube and then slid them apart.

I then chopped 5" off the shaft, cleaned it up and then slid it back together.

After that I marked the other end and then cut it of and also made relief cuts to the one end.

with an additional 5" marked I cut it off and also pressed the relief cuts together so that the small end would slid into the tube end. Then just welded it up.

Did a test fit to see how it looked.

No clearance problems that I can see yet. So next I will need to cut the end off of the 72 steering column shaft and using the Lincoln shaft and the other part of the 02's steering linkage I should be able to connect it all up. Because the Lincoln round end fits over the 72's steering shaft and the 02's square end fits in the Lincoln’s other side.

FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

I love it when a plan comes together! 8) I went out and finished the steering linkage and it went together perfectly. Almost like I had planed it from the get go. When I think back about it I can remember thinking about tossing the Lincoln's steering linkage into the pile for recycling but then going no I might need it. I didn't need much of it but it was the one special part that I needed to hook the 02 to the 72. So dang I'm glad it kept it.

Here is the Lincoln's steering linkage and the 02 F150 linkage. I cut a small part out of the Lincoln's that had the half round on one end and the tube on the other. Then I cut off the end of the F150 linkage that fits into the slip shaft. Slid them all together, drilled holes through and then bolted them together for mock up.

I then cut the end off of the 72 steering column and drilled a hole in it, and then slid the sleeve over it and bolted it all together.

So I will leave it bolted together for now and once I have a chance to make sure there is no binding and it all works right I will then weld the sleeve to the 72 shaft and call it done.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great job! Looks like it was designed that way. :clap:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cowbay
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cowbay »

Wow Fanatastic job. That is some real skill and more so alot of patience. Looking foward to the final product
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer, then it is an electrical problem"

69 Ford F100 Ranger 390 3spd with overdrive
63 Chevy Impala 327 with 4spd. In the family since brand new. Over 280,00 miles
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Great job! Looks like it was designed that way. :clap:
LOL! you know your right.... They are all factory parts after all and designed by Ford ..... just a few years apart :D lol
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Joshpow »

you got a point there fopar!! looking good.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972100
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

A little more work done on the truck. It's been hard to find time lately but progress is progress so not complaining. Thought I'd better coat the bare metal, so I hit the passenger side with some left over flat paint.

Did a little welding on the drivers side, also cut out the stock side marker light and welded in the patch panel for a matching smooth look on both sides now.

So anyway still plugging away at it, just not very fast...
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:thup: pluggin away is good....ask me how I know :D :lol: Nice work on the steering ... amazing work grafting these trucks together 8)
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

:thup: pluggin away is good....ask me how I know :D :lol: Nice work on the steering ... amazing work grafting these trucks together 8)

Thank you.

Not much of an update but for me this is one of the most beautiful bumpy mess of spot welded sheet metal I've ever seen and do you now why I say that? Because I'm finally finished spot welding the bed back together and welding the seam on both sides of the bed. It's very nice to be done with this part of the build, that is for sure!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Why do I keep seeing bright flashes of light every time I close my eyes.... oh yeah 10,000 spot welds later might have something to do with it.... :lol:
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:D time to break out the break out the earplugs and grind,grind,grind :lol:
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Pulled out the 36 grit sanding disc and went to town on the passenger side and got it all striped down to bare metal. Then mixed up some filler and started coating it. Yep the dreaded "B" word "Bondo :eek:" lol but hey I'm a realist, I know I'll never get this old bed straight without it and I've already filled in with metal filler. So all the bondo is for is to find the lows and fill them in.... hmmm... isn't that what body filler was for??? oh yeah it is...lol Anyway started to knock it down today and you can see that I have a lot of sanding to do but most of the filler is sanding off and should only be a skim coat in most places by the time I'm done.

Over all not perfect but working on it, the body line is starting to show, just a few more hundred hours of blocking ...lol
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Finally made up my mind about the bed stake holes on my truck. I've seen others on here weld them up and I really liked the look but I still plan on using it as a truck when it's done so just wasn't sure about it. The 2002 bed had bolt in tie downs, so I'm going to use them. So I got to work cutting out little plates to fit each hole.

Labled them all (because I found out that eventhough they all look the same they are not)
Then flipped them over and sprayed them with weldable primer on the bottom.

Then put them back in place and started tacking them down.

With that done I got out the grinder and smoothed it all out

Nice and flush with the top of the bed.

67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

Not to be a "copycat"on the bedrail...nice job(again)by the way. I've been up in the air on shaving the bedrails :hmm: I think you just sold me on it :thup: :D
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Not to be a "copycat"on the bedrail...nice job(again)by the way. I've been up in the air on shaving the bedrails :hmm: I think you just sold me on it :thup: :D
When someone copies something, I’ve always heard that it is the highest complement you can give. So no worries, plus you and I both know all the body mods I’m doing have all been done before, so I’m just copying someone else. The only thing I can clame is the chassis swap onto a 2002 frame. What really matters is how well we can pull off the copy/mods … :pray: :lol: