How do you hook up a 1 wire Alternator in our Trucks? :hmm:
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: 1 wire Alternator

Post by NM5K »

Not for sure, as I've never used one, but seems to me if it's got only one wire, and the regulator is built in, that single wire must go to the battery. But I'd read the instructions to be sure...MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

I did it to my 71 w/ a 460 and dual batteries. It was easy. The brackets are the difficult part being these alts where built more for chevy use. I just made my own brackets. As far as the wiring. You can take the charging system loom out along with the regulator. Install the alt, run the one heavy gauge wire from the alt to the battery (single battery system). There are a couple wires that need to be re-ran off the old existing wire loom. The horn is one and the other I beleave was the gauge. I can go out and get better detail of that for you if needed. It was all pretty much common sense just by looking at were the wires went. I think it took me about 3 hours including making the brackets.

If you want I can get some pics and I will also give you better detail of which wires I had to reconnect. Its been a year sense I did it. Email me. Greg
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Pic's would be nice or anything else.....
Chris
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

Chris, I have some pics, email me and i will send them to you. I can't post pics here yet. I somehow I messup registering. YA, YA, I am a mess.

As far as the wiring. I took the plug with the three wires and ran them all to the hot side of the soleniod. The plug with the two wires. The green one leave dead and the yellow one goes to your horn. Run a heavy guage wire from the hot side of the solenoid to the one post on the back of the ONE-WIRE alt. Also for safe measure ground the alt with the a heavy gauge wire. Its pretty basic really. If you want to build your own one-wire I can send you direction and Jegs or Summit sells the kit. I would (to save the headache) buy a one wire alt $70 isn't that bad for a 65-70 amp. I think $110 for a chrome one.

Now for the brackets. I have a 460. I am guessing the brackets would be the same. The bottom bracket I made from an upper chevy (sorry, I am sure there is a better way) alt bracket after some cutting and welding. The upper bracket is all fabbed from steel. The pics will show it better then I could describe. Let me know
Greg

Rockcrusher

Post by Rockcrusher »

Here's a link to a typical Delco 3 wire alternator hookup. For a 1 wire unit ignore the (F) & (R) connections on the alternator.

http://www.rockcrusher4x4.com/images/pd ... Wiring.PDF
Rockcrusher
http://www.rockcrusher4x4.com
Ignorance is sticking your hand in the fire 'cause you don't know what it is ... Stupidity is doing it a second time.
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: 1 wire Alternator

Post by heep70 »

cobraF100 wrote:Pic's would be nice or anything else.....
Did you get my email? Don't mind the pic with all the wires everywhere. I still need to clean that mess up. Greg
Greg

cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Yea,I got it Heep70,Sorry about that Haven't had much time on the Computer because the Kids have kept me tied up
Chris
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Greg i'm interested in the Pics you have of the alt and battery setup you have. I'm thinkin about this alt http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/18/269/28606
and adding the 2nd battery. I'll be running a 9500 winch,2 offroad lights,stereo,and a few other things sucking juice.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

460 crew wrote:Greg i'm interested in the Pics you have of the alt and battery setup you have. I'm thinkin about this alt http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/18/269/28606
and adding the 2nd battery. I'll be running a 9500 winch,2 offroad lights,stereo,and a few other things sucking juice.
WOW, that puts my 70amp(?) alt to shame. Anyway, I am sure the mounting hardware is going to be different. The brakets I used, I built. But I can shot some better picks if you need. I used a 3 post isolator, so wiring in the isolator, all you need to do is run a 16 gauge wire from the #1 Batt post to the Alt post. This will supply the 12 volts that the alt needs to work properly.

You won't need the regulator anymore, so alot of the charging system harness you can scrap. A couple of the wires you will have to tie together. I can't remember which they were right now. I will get that info for you.
Greg

willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

The one wire Delco is a simple wire up but in my opinion isn't near as good of alternator as the Motorcraft. The biggest problem with the Motorcraft is junky aftermarket regulators. You have to stick with an OEM regulator. When I upgrade, I will go to the large frame Motorcraft, 90 amp. I think all the original mountings should work fine.
If you do use the Delco, try and find the machined pulley, not the stamped one. Those stamped ones will spread and then you can never keep the belt from slipping no matter how tight the belt is.
Also your factory electric choke won't work with the Delco since it is powered up off the stator. For a winch you might want to use the continous duty solenoid to isolate the batterys, like the camper special used. I have had good luck with the solid state isolators too but have had wiring problems with them when there needs to be voltage going back through. I had put one on a Chevy bus with the big frame Delco alternator and had to do some major rewiring to get power to the switch because it pulled the power from the wire you have to cut and the isolator doesn't allow voltage back through.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

For all you " One wire" alternator guys. Should read this....

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... wire.shtml
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Question, is there anyone out there making a one wire in a Ford housing like the Bronco link above, but in a chrome body? I would like to find one for my '61 to clean up the engine wiring. It has chrome everywhere else so that's why I want chrome.
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

Comet wrote:Question, is there anyone out there making a one wire in a Ford housing like the Bronco link above, but in a chrome body? I would like to find one for my '61 to clean up the engine wiring. It has chrome everywhere else so that's why I want chrome.
Can't guarantee this, but I know Powermaster USED to make their one-wire alt's out of factory cases, and then either chromed or powder coated the housings. Not sure if they still offer them, or if they are still in the factory style housings or not.
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
MIX BREED 72

Post by MIX BREED 72 »

I put a GM 3 wire on my 72 and wiring it up is no problem and to mount it all you have to is were the long bolt goes needs to be drilled 1 size larger.I went to the hardware store and got some round stock as for the spacer thet goes behind the alt on the long bolt needs to be a little longer but the mounting points are the same.
YOU GOT WHAT IN IT