Combating the effects of Purple Power on aluminum intake

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Combating the effects of Purple Power on aluminum intake

Post by fomocoguy »

sargentrs wrote:I'm following you closely on this one. I have an Edelbrock intake from a parts truck I was expecting to use on my rebuild. It needs cleanup, of course, and I've got a big jug of purple power I keep around for cleaning parts. Whew, that was close! Now I think I'll blast it, wipe it with lacquer thinner and paint it silver. Uhhh...thanks? Sorry about your troubles and good luck with it!
I found out on my last project that Eagle One Mag Wheel cleaner works ABSURDLY well on cast aluminum. I bought a 4 wheeler for my gal and while rebuilding the engine I wanted to clean the cases. They were stained a dull reddish color from southern MO red clay. No purple, yellow, or green cleaner would touch the stuff. I used Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner and it made the aluminum look like new with very little effort! It is acidic and smells like rotten eggs while it works, but I'm telling you it cleans cast metals like crazy. You have to rinse it well and in short order so you don't damage the metal and if you use it on polished aluminum it will dull it. It will also eat paint so you have to be careful with it. Any guy that accidentally uses this stuff on polished wheels would be really pissed afterward. Anyway their general tire and wheel stuff won't do it; it has to be the Mag wheel cleaner.

evan_flatt69, this will almost without a doubt work for you but be very careful of the painted parts around it...

Here's a good before and after shot
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
evan_flatt69
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by evan_flatt69 »

If I decide to try to take off the intake and try to clean it my self what kind of tools or replacement parts will I need and should I expect to run into any major bumps in the road?

Here are some pics of the damage:

Right about now I'm wishing my truck looked about as good as my mom's Jeep does

1969 F-100 Short Bed Custom Cab 390
1985 BMW 635CSi
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I went to Lowe's and bought some degreaser called Red Max. I used it to clean my C6 trans case, it didn't stain or screw up the aluminum but it worked well.
Here's a before/after

Before

After
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

BobbyFord wrote:I went to Lowe's and bought some degreaser called Red Max. I used it to clean my C6 trans case, it didn't stain or screw up the aluminum but it worked well.
Red Max huh? I might have to try that stuff on my C6...getting ready to do the very same thing and it's pretty dirty. How much for how much?
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
'69 F100; 390, C6, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's
'70 F100; 'new' and latest project soon to have a built 390/C6 and 3.50 gears
To see more of my F100's: http://www.cardomain.com/id/lowfat56
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

F100builder wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:I went to Lowe's and bought some degreaser called Red Max. I used it to clean my C6 trans case, it didn't stain or screw up the aluminum but it worked well.
Red Max huh? I might have to try that stuff on my C6...getting ready to do the very same thing and it's pretty dirty. How much for how much?
A gallon is about $10
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

wow if it hurt the paint and aluminum, i'm worried about the wiring and hoses and belts it got on.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks fomoco! I'll try that. You too, Bobby! Evan, what can I say man. That is tragic! I had no clue PP would do that. Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for the warning. :( for you.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

BobbyFord wrote:
F100builder wrote:
A gallon is about $10
Cool...thanks!
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
'69 F100; 390, C6, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's
'70 F100; 'new' and latest project soon to have a built 390/C6 and 3.50 gears
To see more of my F100's: http://www.cardomain.com/id/lowfat56
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

The Purple Power I've bought in recent years wouldn't hardly TOUCH aluminum unless it was left on for several hours. This really surprises me!!

Now, the PP I bought back in the mid-to-late 80's would do a number on aluminum!!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
AP5424

Post by AP5424 »

give Alumiprep 33 from Aircraft Spruce a try. It removed the oxides (corrosion) and brightens the aluminum
heres the link: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... miprep.php

its kinda high priced but well worth it.
AP5424

Post by AP5424 »

also for just general purpose degreasing, simple green and a stiff bristle brush followed by a pressure washer
evan_flatt69
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by evan_flatt69 »

Hopefully when we get the headers installed we'll take the whole engine out and take the carb, intake, and heads off and clean and repaint it.
1969 F-100 Short Bed Custom Cab 390
1985 BMW 635CSi