Resistor wire

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
$$$$robert

Resistor wire

Post by $$$$robert »

Anybody know where I can get resistor wire for my 1972 F250 Camper Special. I have a short that is draining my battery even when the truck is off. I checked everything under the hood and under the truck and found nothing. I replaced all the cables to the battery and starter, new starter, new alt. I got into the dash and with the key in the on position without starting the truck, my wireing harness was hot. I took off the tape and found that the resistor wire that goes from the ignition key to the coil was getting pretty hot. I can't find any kind of damage except the outer casing of the wire is wrinkeled in a few places. I haven't unrapped it completely though. I tried radio shack, and all the standard parts stores. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to find the souce of the problem for weeks. I also need to know the specs for the wire, length, size ect. Thanks, Robert :?
steveheer

re: Resistor wire

Post by steveheer »

NPD has resistor wires available.

Now I believe that the resistor wire SHOULD get a little warm as the heat created is part of the resistance. Replacing the wire should not fix your drain on the battery--with the switch in the off position it wouldn't even be energized.

Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Best place for the resistor wire is the local junk yard. By its nature (it is a resistance) the resistor wire should get warm. If insulation is bad replace the wire.

From your description, sounds like you have a short in the electrical system. A way to test for current is to put a test light between battery cable and starter solenoid or put current meter on cable. If current is sufficient, light should glow or meter will register. Some VOMs will measure to milli amps.

Two likely problem canidates are the voltage regulator and alternator. Since you replaced the alternator, that should not be a problem. With switch and all other devices off, check the battery for current draw, then disconnect one item (wire) at a time until the current draw stops. Then replace the item. Alternate, disconnect everything at the solenoid and reattached upon you find the problem. Then trace the problem to the next junction. You will need to trace all wires that are connected to the battery. Look for easy places to disconnect electrical wires.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

:yt:
oldhalftons

Post by oldhalftons »

The wire is about 1.3-1.5ohms

If you absolutly need it running now,,,,, and can't wait for NPD.
a chrysler 72-down single connection ballast resistor is close enough to run without frying the coil, and every parts store has one.
1969 F100 300/4spd power steering, manual brakes
granitestate68

Post by granitestate68 »

I just replaced the whole wiring harness in my 68 and the harness does get warm/hot with no adverse effects. just an FYI

Lee
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-550
1996 F250 Slightly lifted 7.3L Diesel
1961 Falcon Ranchero 144 Inline 6