air compressor tank replacement

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

air compressor tank replacement

Post by sargentrs »

I had a nice air compressor given to me. 150psi, 220v, 3hp, two stage pump, 60gal tank. Works great however, the tank had a couple of pinholes on the bottom of it. Tried welding them up and only made it worse. Finally covered the patched places with a thick layer of JB Weld. Slowed the leak down but didn't stop it. Can only build up about 60psi but then leaks out as fast as it pumps in. Have been unable to find a replacement tank. The compressor tank has 3 ports one on top (inlet), one on left (outlet) and one on right (gauge/relief/solenoid) A friend gave me a 60gal propane tank but it only has one port so I've tried to connect everything through that one port but it's not working out. Hope I can describe this good enough for ya'll to make suggestions. There's a 3/4" port in the top of the tank. I came out of that with a 3/4" nipple, 3/4" tee, another 3/4" nipple, another 3/4" tee and a 3/4"-1/2" bushing. The output hard line of the pump ends with a check valve, 1/2" pipe thread, that's about 2" long with a brass end that has rows of perforations in it and a plastic plunger inside. I screwed this check valve into the top of my pipe fitting "tree" and connected the hard line to it. On the tee below that I connected the gauge/solenoid and on the bottom tee I connected an outlet for the air hose quick connect. Problem is, I'm not getting any air into the tank and my "tree" is getting hot after just a couple of minutes of running. Since I, basically, set that check valve down into a tee, which acts like a sleeve, I'm thinking I've restricted my input too badly for sufficient pressure to reach the tank. I had hoped there would be enough space around the perforated sleeve, about a 3/16" clearance all around, to allow the air to flow out of the valve, down the "tree" and into the tank. I guess it doesn't work that way. I know I could probably get somebody to drill holes and add ports in it but I really don't have those resources. Do I really need that check valve? Is there a certain order the inlet, outlet, solenoid should be routed? Is it even possible to use a single port tank with this type of air compressor? Any suggestions? All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Montana71-F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: air compressor tank replacement

Post by Montana71-F100 »

I had the same problem. Water settles in the bottom of the tank because of condensation and it rusts the bottom. I was able to patch mine fairly well with brazing rod but I eventually gave up. There are probably hundreds of pinholes near the surface and every time you weld, new ones develop. You would probably be better off cutting a section of the tank out and welding a new piece in.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

how about a hotwater tank? it should have enough holes in it. and they can stand up to 150 psi test pressures. i just got a free electric hotwater tank and was thinking of making it a holding tank for extra air. but i dont know that i need it.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Montana71-F100 wrote:I had the same problem. Water settles in the bottom of the tank because of condensation and it rusts the bottom. I was able to patch mine fairly well with brazing rod but I eventually gave up. There are probably hundreds of pinholes near the surface and every time you weld, new ones develop. You would probably be better off cutting a section of the tank out and welding a new piece in.
Yeah, I've about given up on this sucker. I work in a fab shop and we have some great welders and equipment and it just couldn't be fixed. It's shot. Thanks for the input!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

fordman wrote:how about a hotwater tank? it should have enough holes in it. and they can stand up to 150 psi test pressures. i just got a free electric hotwater tank and was thinking of making it a holding tank for extra air. but i dont know that i need it.
Really? Never thought about that. I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks for the idea!
Randy
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks, I'm looking!
Randy
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:woohoo: After over 2 months of searching I finally scored! Got a 60 gal Husky tank from a Home Depot compressor for $125. Guy bought it in 2004 and ran the compressor low on oil this year so slung a rod and scored the crank. Was going to try to rebuild the compressor but decided to part it instead. Looks like new. Garage kept and maintained regularly. Thank you Lord for the blessings!
Randy
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

:thup: Good things come to those that wait.