Trailer Wiring on Camper Special

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
jcwillis

Trailer Wiring on Camper Special

Post by jcwillis »

Hello,

I have a 1969 F-250 Camper Special that I recently had some brake and signal problems (see other topic, "Brake and Signal Lights problem"). I corrected the light problem and all is good for now. My truck had the bed removed by previous owner and a stakebed is now there. There is also a towing setup on the truck.

Anyway, during troubleshooting, I disconnected all of the trailer connector wiring. During my troubleshooting, I found another harness that appears to be for trailer lighting/power. There are six wires in this harness and, at least on my truck, there is a connector right about in the area of the secondary fuel tank (on the frame, not in the cab). The connector is flat where all six pins are in a row. Some of the wire colors appear to match those for the brake, tail, signal, backup, and lights. It appears to be an OEM setup.

:? My question : Is the harness OEM and for connecting up the trailer lights and electrical?

I ask because if this is original, and is for a trailer setup, I would like to use it to reconnect my trailer lighting hookup instead of splicing into the tail lights again as the previous owner did.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/experience concerning a harness on your truck(s) similar to what I describe.

Jim
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

generic colors for trailer hook ups are; white=ground brown is tail lights yellow is left and green is right. do you have a trailer brake in the cab? trailer brakes use 2 wires. i don't know about the stock wiring on the truck.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Trailer Wiring on Camper Special

Post by 68F250 »

Hi Jim, yes you sure can use the Camper Special wiring harness for your trailer. The harness was designed to be used for a camper's exterior and interior lights and power. When I get home tonight I'll look up that special diagram showing the harness and wire colors and scan it for you.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
67F250CS
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67F250CS »

Yep you can use the harness plug. I have a 67 Camper Special and I just had to lengthen the harness for the camper lights to run out the back a little more.
1967 F250 Camper Special
10MPG with key off, in neutral and going downhill!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Ok, attached is a scan of the wiring diagram. You’re gonna come off the ends that say “To Camperâ€Â
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
jcwillis

Thanks for Your Help

Post by jcwillis »

:clap: Thanks to everyone for the replies. :clap:

68F250 - Wow! Thank you very much for the diagram and the extra information identifying the wiring colors. Second time you have shared your time and knowledge in working out my truck's electrical problems. I'm going to have to buy you a lunch some time when I am down in your neighborhood. Your info verifies what I suspected - that the harness is indeed OEM. With all of the passing years, one never knows what was added to a vehicle. This will definitely make the hookup much more "professional" looking since I will not splice into the other stock harness. The trailer light/electrical connector at the rear of the truck happens to be a seven pin (six flat connectors in a circle along with one in center). There is also a five pin (five pins in a circle with no center pin, this one looks OEM), but I will not be using it. The seven pin and the six pin (five in a circle along with one in the center) seem to be used the most on car trailers, while the four pin in a flat row seem to be more for motorcycle/jet-ski sized trailers.

Fordman - I actually do have an electric brake setup in the cab and it is already hooked up back at the trailer lighting/electric connector byt the previous owner (along with all of the splicing into the rear harness). It was the only part I did not disconnect when I was troubleshooting my last electrical problem since it appeared to be an independent circuit.

67F250 - Thanks for verifying that the harness will work. It looked like it was correct, but I did not want to just start attaching things without getting some advice from folks like you who have had experience with it.

Thanks again to everyone. This looks like a simple hookup (but one never knows) for the trailer light/electrical connector. I will give an update when I get the wiring hooked up and working. Hoping to tow a trailer to pick up a 68 Fairlane convertable this weekend.

Jim
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

says 68250 i always wondered what that fused wire coming off my solenoid was. only half of the fuse connector is there. i figured one of the po's put it on for something. thanks i learned something today.
jcwillis

Camper Special Wiring Works

Post by jcwillis »

Hello Wiring Experts,

Have all of the OEM camper wiring hooked up to the trailer light/electrical connector. The original wires were long enough that I did not have to splice on additional wire to make it reach the back. Latched on the car carrier and all lighting is working correctly. Will give it a road test in a little bit when I go to pick up the Fairlane over in Hayward.

Thanks again to all who helped out in guiding me in the right direction with this "mystery" harness.

Jim