Starts in Park and Neutral but No Backup Lights

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
2ToneBeater

Starts in Park and Neutral but No Backup Lights

Post by 2ToneBeater »

The truck will start in both Park and Neutral, but if I put it in reverse I don't have backup lights. If I manualy move the switch all the way towards the left (driver's side door), the backup lights will come on. I did the whole "hold the switch in neutral position and bolt it up" thing, which was fine for getting it to start, however I really need these backup lights. Any clue what could be happening?

Marc
1972 F250 Custom: 360 V8, C6 tranny, camper package with disk brakes.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

could there be some wear on the lever that actuates the switch. or maybe the switch could be adjusted. or it could be in the wiring try wiggling it to see if that helps. thats all i know without investigating it myself. you can also look at the previous post about brake lights.
kraberry

re: Starts in Park and Neutral but No Backup Lights

Post by kraberry »

I have a question along these same lines. I can't pass the neccesary inspection without the backup lights, so I REALLY need them.

My truck doesn't start in nuetral though. Just park. It is a 72 with a C4. The column is missing the gear indicator, so it wouldn't surprise me if some changes had been made to the whole set-up.

Any thoughts?

kb
67effie

Post by 67effie »

What state requires back up lights to be operational? What kind of inspection are you talking about?

I have always been told that back up lights back in the day were a courtesy not a necessity.

Just curiouos now. :hmm:
If at first you don't succeed. Get another beer.

Jeremy

1972 F-100 - currently under going complete frame off restoration
1997 Mustang GT Convertible- (gone but not forgotten, damn unemployment)
1996 Saleen S281 #247
1988 - Coupe, OSP car sold to public NEW, under construction, 1 of 3 that was supposed to go to Saleen in 1988.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=270
kraberry

Post by kraberry »

Washington, DC. We have to pass a stingent safety test. Brake pressure, tread depth, lights, wipers, wiper squirters, etc. It makes getting a 72 past the inspection TOUGH.

kb
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

just curious. how is the brake pressure test done? with a meter on the pedal? or is it a meter on actual fuild pressure?
kraberry

Post by kraberry »

They drive onto a plate and hit the brakes.

It doesn't matter. It failed due to the surface rust and lack of backup lights. Completely rediculous. The rust is character, and in only one spot does it actually go through.

I am done with this truck. So if anyone wants a 1972 Ford F100 with a brand new rebuilt c4 and full brake rebuild (drums) it's yours for the taking. The catch is you have to claim it before the charity I donate it to does. It is a great truck, just not suitable to pass Washington, DC inspection.

kb
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

It failed due to surface rust??!! :eek:
Half the cars in Nebraska would fail! :lol:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
kraberry

Post by kraberry »

I'll post a picture. It will make you wonder.
67F250CS
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67F250CS »

Maryland is the same way. It seems I had to replace all the body mounts on a Pontiac 6000 to get it to pass. Yea right. I rubbed with black silicon and armor all. The inspector said I did a great job, how hard was it? I told him it took me 3 days.

If no-one jumps on this truck I would like to claim it.
1967 F250 Camper Special
10MPG with key off, in neutral and going downhill!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

when we had inspections in kansas years ago. i took my old riviera up to get inspected. one tire didn't pass so i went home and aired up the spare that had a nail in it and drove it down there. the guy came out and looked at it while you could hear air rushing out of it and said it looked good. he passed me. i think i tried to park on the air hose that went across the drive to fool him but i still don't know if i fooled him or of he just gave me a break because he knew my dad.
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

If you bump the shifter UP a bit when in Reverse..do they come on?? Might need just a bit more adjusting to make them work? Mine was like that...had to just hold shifter up a tad to make them light up.

All else fails, pull the two wires from plug, install switch and then take to test. They will work then.
Bump'n along.
67effie

Post by 67effie »

WOW!!! Remind me never to move there!!! Around here we still have some places where vehicles do not have to go through emissions testing.
If at first you don't succeed. Get another beer.

Jeremy

1972 F-100 - currently under going complete frame off restoration
1997 Mustang GT Convertible- (gone but not forgotten, damn unemployment)
1996 Saleen S281 #247
1988 - Coupe, OSP car sold to public NEW, under construction, 1 of 3 that was supposed to go to Saleen in 1988.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=270
2ToneBeater

Post by 2ToneBeater »

If I hold the switch in the neutral position when installing it, and that worked, the truck should start when the switch is there and when I put the shifter in Park. The backup lights should come on when the switch is somewhere between where it sits when the shifter is in either Park or Neutral, correct? If the lights are coming on only when I move the switch further to the left of "Park", does that suggest that the switch is broken and I should get a new one?

Marc
1972 F250 Custom: 360 V8, C6 tranny, camper package with disk brakes.
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

Well, right now I'd say it's just not in right position. In the past I leave truck in PARK, then install switch and move it around til it functions correctly in all positions.
Maybe the switch itself is broken?? Not sure, but the comment about lights working when in left of PARK makes me think maybe something else is wrong.
Bump'n along.