Interior door handle fix

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

beaverstate72

Interior door handle fix

Post by beaverstate72 »

Hi everyone. Found what seems to be a decent fix for our interior door handles when they become worn and no longer throw the latch far enough. Seems to be a fairly common malady from looking around the site, and it sounds like replacement parts are available. Sometimes its just fun to repair the old one, though...

Did not take a before pic, but the lever on the back of the doorhandle was almost worn through. Left a cup or groove in the metal about 1/8" deep. I cut off about half an inch of 3/8" copper tubing, slid it over the lever, and crimped and massaged it into place with pliers. Then I set it with the opening facing upward, heated with a torch, and filled the cavity with solder. After cooling the shape was refined with dremel/files/sandpaper. Seemed to be plenty of clearance when I checked the fit, the fine shaping may not have been needed. Works fine so far, no more reaching out the window to disembark. :woohoo:
best pic of handle fix.jpg
copper tubing.jpg
good angle.jpg
There are a couple more pics in my albums, if needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beaverstate72

Re: Interior door handle fix

Post by beaverstate72 »

Sweet! My armrests are a little rough, I'll have to keep an eye out for a Fairlane. 8)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you can get those handles off almost anything. 80's vans ford even has them for the large 2005 and up F550 super dutys. and even the aerostar mini van uses them in black plastic. that is a pretty cool mod. i have several sets of good metal and plastic ones myself.
beaverstate72

Post by beaverstate72 »

Very good to know. Now ya have me dreamin about power window switches in the armrests. Yeah yeah and a cupholder!! :fr:
ivansgreat

Post by ivansgreat »

I was looking for a fix to this problem. Thanks for the post.
Ivan

1968 F100 2wd
harveyracing06

Post by harveyracing06 »

i got new handles and they fit snug but with my new armrests they get stuck in the armrest due to having to pull them so far to open the door. can you adjust the rod in the door to take up some of the slack?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the rods is non adjustable. are your arm rests original or reproductions? is the door handle mechanism worn off? or maybe the rod has bent.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

here are soem pictures of the inside door assenbly rods and latch mechinism. i didnt get a good picture of the latch sorry. this is of a passenger side. i just grabbed one out of the box and took pictures of it.

Montana71-F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Montana71-F100 »

That's a good fix. I just repaired mine but a little differently. I drilled a hole over the worn part into the shaft and inserted a piece of welding rod coated with JB Weld. Then packed JB Weld around the rod and in the warn area to make sure it stayed in place. I used stainless steel rod but since the original is soft, I should have used bronze, brass or copper rod.

Your way is great. I just thought that since I did something similar, I'd share it. My repair has stood the test of time. It's been about 2 days and I've opened the door at least 6 times!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harveyracing06

Post by harveyracing06 »

they are repro of the orginal but i beleive the prob is inside the door. ill check it out maybe this weekend. it seems like the handle grabs something as soon as you pull it but the door wont open till you pull it alot futher. ill check though thanks for the pics! always helps to know what your looking for!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i have seen the repops arm rests not let the latch open far enough. maybe your handle is sticking because fo the arm rests. when you check into it use the handle with the arm rest off and see if it helps.
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

harveyracing06 wrote:they are repro of the orginal but i beleive the prob is inside the door. ill check it out maybe this weekend. it seems like the handle grabs something as soon as you pull it but the door wont open till you pull it alot futher. ill check though thanks for the pics! always helps to know what your looking for!
I'm thinking that the 'grab' you're feeling is the linkage being moved with the initial pull of the handle. If you have to pull real far, I wonder if the lever on the actuator (the arm that the handle 'knob' pushes has been bent over the years. Look to see if it's bent. If it is, straighten it. If not, try taping a few quarters to it and test it. If this solves the problem, you could probably 'tweak' the lever arm slightly to your liking and keep the handles out of the new armrests! Good luck and keep us updated as this info could be useful to many. :thup:
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
'69 F100; 390, C6, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's
'70 F100; 'new' and latest project soon to have a built 390/C6 and 3.50 gears
To see more of my F100's: http://www.cardomain.com/id/lowfat56
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

fordman wrote:the rods is non adjustable. are your arm rests original or reproductions? is the door handle mechanism worn off? or maybe the rod has bent.
Checking the rod for bends is good too! :D
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
'69 F100; 390, C6, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's
'70 F100; 'new' and latest project soon to have a built 390/C6 and 3.50 gears
To see more of my F100's: http://www.cardomain.com/id/lowfat56
cesarp35

Post by cesarp35 »

Hi there, thanks for the info however i can't open the pics it says they don't exit, great idea if possible repost the pics i appreciate it. Thanks
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

cesarp35 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:55 pm Hi there, thanks for the info however i can't open the pics it says they don't exit, great idea if possible repost the pics i appreciate it. Thanks
Old post from 2011.
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43