shifter tube spacer orientation

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

barrymad

shifter tube spacer orientation

Post by barrymad »

I have a 72 Ford F100 302 3SP on the tree. I have replaced the shifter tube, thrust washers and spacer. I used the Manual 3-spd Steering Column Explored link for the how to information. I am confused by Fig. 08 where it states how to install the thick spacer. "To install, you turn it 90 degrees clockwise, insert it, and then spin it back 90 degrees." When I took the old one off it was not turned at all. The flats on the sides were already oriented as in Fig. 06. The spacer will move with the shifter arms when the shifter is moved. Should this spacer move or not? If not at what orientation is clockwise? For example:facing from the bottom of the column or facing down from the shifter? Please help. It does not shift easily with it off and on the work bench.
http://www.fordification.com/tech/3spd-column_01.htm
Last edited by barrymad on Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: shifter tube spacer orientation

Post by fordman »

as figure 8 shows push the spacer straight in like it shows in the picture. then the space will have enough room to spin inside of the column to line up correctly with the rest of the arms and spacers. the reason for spining it 180 is so that the tang on the shifter tube can go through all of the spacers and shift arms without hanging up. the last time i did it. i just wiggle the shift tube in a circle back and forth as i inserted the tube into the column.
barrymad

Re: shifter tube spacer orientation

Post by barrymad »

fordman wrote:as figure 8 shows push the spacer straight in like it shows in the picture. then the space will have enough room to spin inside of the column to line up correctly with the rest of the arms and spacers. the reason for spining it 180 is so that the tang on the shifter tube can go through all of the spacers and shift arms without hanging up. the last time i did it. i just wiggle the shift tube in a circle back and forth as i inserted the tube into the column.
Thanks fordman, I was just a little concerned that the shifter did not seem to shift well on the bench. After your response, I realized I had everything replaced properly. Once installed back in the truck, It was shifting great. Only issue now is seems to not want to go completely into 1st gear without somewhat grinding of the gears. Any ideas on how to correct this?