wheel choices for the crown vic swap

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

boozer68

wheel choices for the crown vic swap

Post by boozer68 »

so today i call my wheel distributor to order some wheels,i tell him ive done the crown vic swap! so i need two rims to fit the front and two to fit the ford rear end! easy right? numerous people have done this swap! he tells me i have to have custom cut wheels so they will match, and to the tune of $860 a wheel? Now i know ive seen a lot of peple make this swap and never have once heard anything about having to have custom cut wheels? please somebody explain what to do and tell me he is wrong!
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: wheel choices for the crown vic swap

Post by BobbyFord »

If you want steelies, try Stockton Wheel or Wheel Vintiques. On one of their websties, there is a special order form for taking specific measurements. $860 a wheel is ridiculous.
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

theres a lot out there u just got to know what off set you need theres a lot off the shelf wheels that will work (again u got to know what off set your working with!!) and just like bobby said above!!!!
thorn1968

Post by thorn1968 »

boozer68 wrote:... to the tune of $860 a wheel? ...
Nice! I'm in the wrong business! :thup:
JG F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JG F100 »

Your fronts will be a 5x4.5 bolt pattern and fairly common, you'll have plenty of options and since the track is wider than stock like most newer vehicles your selection is pretty good. Not sure what diameter rims you are looking but some Mustang wheels should work.

But getting the same wheel with the stock rear-end's 5x5.5 bolt pattern is a long shot as most are designed for trucks. I've seen wheels up into the thousands for one wheel, just depends how big or custom it is. Your best bet is to get some adapters or redrill the rear to match the fronts.
72 F100 - SWB conversion w/05 crown vic IFS, 8.8 rear w/disc, 20s, 360FE w/overdrive
Project Page: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=37897
marvin2
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by marvin2 »

As mentioned, both bolt patterns are pretty common, so custom cut wheels shouldn't be needed...unless you are specifically looking for a "custom" wheel. I guess what will drive the cost is the type of wheel you are looking for.

For instance, I know that cragar makes the same style wheels in both sizes. I assume that american racing does as well. As JG mentioned, you also have the option of running an adapter (although this can alter your backspacing) or redrill the rears (I have not looked into this).

I will have to cross the same bridge at some point since I will be doing the CV swap as well as looking to keep my current rearend. I have a set of mustang bullitt wheels that I want to run on all corners.
1970 F100 "Marvin 2" - Crown Vic IFS, 302, C4 (work in progress)
1970 F250 "Leonard" - 302, C6 (project in waiting)
1971 F100 "Walt" - 302, 3-speed on the column (Sunday driver)
2004 Mustang GT "Horse With No Name" - 4.6L, 5 speed (Retired daily driver / Friday driver)
boozer68

Post by boozer68 »

wha offset should i need for the front and rear,?
71highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71highboy »

how bout some nice old keystones.