68 LWB to SWB conversion

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
tod-hog

68 LWB to SWB conversion

Post by tod-hog »

Been eating up the forums lately. Considering getting a new wiring harness from aftermarket vendor as I will have the truck completely torn down. No problems with the current one just don't want to kick my self for not replacing when it was easy (relatively). What is the life expectancy of a hanress? Should I just re-use the old one and not worry about it? You seasoned vets must have an opinion. :wink:
67effie

re: 68 LWB to SWB conversion

Post by 67effie »

I think it is more a matter of if you want to spend the time and money for a new one or just run what you have. My truck had sat for so long that corrosion started in on the wiring and trying to track down all of the bad wires is getting old. As soon as I have the money I am buying a new painless harness.
If at first you don't succeed. Get another beer.

Jeremy

1972 F-100 - currently under going complete frame off restoration
1997 Mustang GT Convertible- (gone but not forgotten, damn unemployment)
1996 Saleen S281 #247
1988 - Coupe, OSP car sold to public NEW, under construction, 1 of 3 that was supposed to go to Saleen in 1988.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=270
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: 68 LWB to SWB conversion

Post by FORDification »

I think a harness life depends partly on the previous owner. If he thought of himself as a wiring guru and decided to add aftermarket components by splicing into the existing harness, and/or tried his own wiring repairs himself when he had no idea what he's really doing, then obviously that's going to trash out a harness pretty quickly. However, normally aging will take it's toll, of course. However, I'm actually very impressed with the condition of the wiring harness of the '67 F100 Camper Special from a recent parts truck, which is the one I'll be using for my project. Granted, the truck only had 29,000 original miles but there only appears to be one wire which will need replaced. All the rest, even the rear wiring, is in great shape, and I don't feel any apprehension about reusing it.

I don't know....I think for the most part that wiring on these old trucks is fairly simple and straight-forward, and replacing a harness even after the truck is completely reassembled isn't too big of a task. In fact, it might make it easier with all the electrical components in place, so you'll have a better idea how much to trim an aftermarket harness (if needed).

:2cents:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!