air compresser??

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

air compresser??

Post by 427 »

This is going to sound really crazy. Back when I was in high school back in 1990 I was taking auto body classes and doing body work. My father bought for me a Sanborn Black Max compresser. I dont really remember the specs but im sure it was 80 gallon 5hp two stage pump. My question is this? Since it is still setting on the pallet it came on and has never been used at all will it be ok to use now that I have a garage of my own. Iv,e heard stories of tanks blowing up and actually worked with a man that had one blow up as he walked by it and it almost took his leg off. My concern is the tank being ok. Its been sitting on the pallet in a shed out of the weather all those years.Its not stuck as Iv,e turned it over recently.Thanks,Brian. :?
68 f100 427 r code 4spd toploader
69 f350 390 4spd hauler bed
72 Ford Bronco 302 3spd
95 Ford Lightning
38 John Deere G
Assorted old Honda ATC,s
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: air compresser??

Post by eggman918 »

If it has never run it should be fine :2cents:
I have a similar compressor the same age that has been running/full 24/7 since then, I drain the tank on a regular basis
and have not had any problems.Water in the tank is what weakens them.If you want to be 100% sure get a small light and inspection mirror
and look in the tank through the outlet.
Steve.
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?

Post by 427 »

Thanks eggman. The plug is out of the tank im sure. I will check the bottom of tank for rust. Thanks,Brian.
68 f100 427 r code 4spd toploader
69 f350 390 4spd hauler bed
72 Ford Bronco 302 3spd
95 Ford Lightning
38 John Deere G
Assorted old Honda ATC,s
71highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71highboy »

it should be fine since there was not any use.so the condensation will be minimal :2cents:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

as long as the tank isnt rusty. it should be fine. if it has rusty pitty spots i would have the tank checked out.
71highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71highboy »

427 wrote:This is going to sound really crazy. Back when I was in high school back in 1990 I was taking auto body classes and doing body work. My father bought for me a Sanborn Black Max compresser. I dont really remember the specs but im sure it was 80 gallon 5hp two stage pump. My question is this? Since it is still setting on the pallet it came on and has never been used at all will it be ok to use now that I have a garage of my own. Iv,e heard stories of tanks blowing up and actually worked with a man that had one blow up as he walked by it and it almost took his leg off. My concern is the tank being ok. Its been sitting on the pallet in a shed out of the weather all those years.Its not stuck as Iv,e turned it over recently.Thanks,Brian. :?
if a air tank blows up it is usually because the it built up to much pressure and the guages took a crap :2cents:
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

71highboy wrote: if a air tank blows up it is usually because the it built up to much pressure and the guages took a crap :2cents:

No, a rusted out air tank will blow sky high regardless of PSI. I had an old junker do it to me not too long ago @ 40 PSI. Blew the bottom smooth out of the tank. Thank God it wasnt more, because 40 PSI sounded like a bomb going off.

427, sounds like it should be OK. I would put fresh oil in the comp. if it still has the original oil in it :2cents:
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
71highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71highboy »

papabug71 wrote:
71highboy wrote: if a air tank blows up it is usually because the it built up to much pressure and the guages took a crap :2cents:

No, a rusted out air tank will blow sky high regardless of PSI. I had an old junker do it to me not too long ago @ 40 PSI. Blew the bottom smooth out of the tank. Thank God it wasnt more, because 40 PSI sounded like a bomb going off.

427, sounds like it should be OK. I would put fresh oil in the comp. if it still has the original oil in it :2cents:
my bad i thought if it was starting to rust out then it would start leaking first.sorry