Learning to weld

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Learning to weld

Post by hdpusher »

If you are new to welding a tip on safety.

DO NOT use brake cleaner to degrease or clean parts before welding. The heat will vaporize the fluid creating phosgene gas. This is hazardous and can be fatal.

Read the warning labels on the cleaners before you use them. Most will list if they are unsafe for welding and most are.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Why thank you for the info hdpusher.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

hdpusher wrote:If you are new to welding a tip on safety.

DO NOT use brake cleaner to degrease or clean parts before welding. The heat will vaporize the fluid creating phosgene gas. This is hazardous and can be fatal.

Read the warning labels on the cleaners before you use them. Most will list if they are unsafe for welding and most are.
Great info and certain metals such as galvinzed.......nasty. Big key in welding.....Ventilation and lots of it :thup:
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Whateverman »

i was given this advice when i was forced too start my career as a welder (stick at the time,but it applies to MIG as well) the old welder i worked with was kinda crusty and i had to censor a fair bit of the actual language used but its still gets the basic jist of things across pretty well : "Its kinda like ^%$#& icing a $#@!^ cake - No not that @#$%^& frosting $&@$- you know that fancy (crap) they *&^%$ squeeze around it?....okay...if you're &^%$# doing it right it's gonna sound like yer frying *&&%$ bacon.. okay see ya later i gotta go"
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Whateverman wrote:i was given this advice when i was forced too start my career as a welder (stick at the time,but it applies to MIG as well) the old welder i worked with was kinda crusty and i had to censor a fair bit of the actual language used but its still gets the basic jist of things across pretty well : "Its kinda like ^%$#& icing a $#@!^ cake - No not that @#$%^& frosting $&@$- you know that fancy (crap) they *&^%$ squeeze around it?....okay...if you're &^%$# doing it right it's gonna sound like yer frying *&&%$ bacon.. okay see ya later i gotta go"
:lol: :lol:

That guy sounds like he knew his &#@!! :lol:
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
Dismantalus

Post by Dismantalus »

Just to reinforce hdpusher's point on the Brake Cleaner. Many of the "Non-Chlorinated" bake cleaners switched to a neat little chemical called Methelene Chloride. Used in cabinet stripping. Really bad for the 'ol Central Nervous System all by itself, even without the heat and uv from the arc. Try to use only something like Acetone for cleaning the areas to be welded. I can't begin to tell you how many shops I have visited (I'm a Certified Welding Inspector) to do Welder testing, and the first thing that comes out is the Brake Clean....
jamesdfo

Post by jamesdfo »

Yup, Brake Kleen is Bad News, see link below......

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety- ... e-gas.html

James