Brake light troubles

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
maconmojo

re: What do you guys think, opinions please.

Post by maconmojo »

hi its jim i have a 1968 ford f100 all restored and i have almost finished the electrical, but having a few problems. well for now my first prob is basically when i was hooking up the rear brake lights they are staying on all the time like the brake is being pressed and wont come off. i was wondering if its the boo switch (brake on off) switch is faulty, or if its just a short to power, also when i took off the boo switch the lights still stayed on . oooohh man ! what a headache! :?
customcrewcab
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Brake light troubles

Post by customcrewcab »

hey welcome! go over to the welcome mat and introduce yourself
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10106
if theres a new way, i'll be the first in line. it better work this time

1970 crewcab 393w afr heads, 6 speed, turbocharged, 6 piston calipers 13" rotors on all 4 corners
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Post some pics of your restored beauty,...and yes,it's probably the boo switch...Mine had somehow got tweaked,and when I'd pull back on the break pedal the lights would go off,so I retweaked it until they worked properly...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

You have ISSUES!!

If you removed the switch and the lights STILL stayed on you have a short somewhere. Follow the wires and see if you have something crossed.

Now, quick question: Does the '68 have a swith like the '69 or '67 type??

The '69 is normally closed and when you release the brake it pushes on switch to break circuit. So if it's not adjusted right, the lights will stay on. My '69 was like this when I bought it.

The '67 is a different type of switch(mounted on pedal itself) and uses pedal pressure to activate(meaning normally OPEN contacts). So when it fails you'll have NO lights whatsoever(been there).
Bump'n along.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

'68 has a switch like the '69, none of that silly '67 stuff. :D
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."