OT Tow show

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

OT Tow show

Post by AlleyCat »

The Pennsylvania Towing Association held it's 4th annual " Hookin up and hangin out " meet in Somerset, PA. If you like towing or just trucks in general tow shows can be fun.

I spotted this Ford LTL 9000 within a minute or so after I got there. Sporting a Jerr-Dan wrecker body it has all the bells and whistles.

The early 90's F700 in this pic was used as part of a demonstration. At the start the F700 was aligned behind the wrecker as if it were going to be towed. The truck was lifted off of the ground, turned 90 degrees, rolled onto it's left side and lowered to the ground. Things were rerigged and it was uprighted with air cushions using the wrecker as a safety to keep it from going too far.
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: OT Tow show

Post by AlleyCat »

This F650 tiltbed is super sharp.

Here's a hand crank " wrecking crane " installed in a 48 Ford F1. In reality by 1948 hand cranked wreckers were fading fast in favor of powered units. The F1 also suffers from the SBC disease. :cry:
Clay

AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

In this pic the operaters of these heavies demonstrate a technique known as " floating ". Although rarely used floating is sometimes done when a truck or bus is so badly damaged that it can't be towed from either end and there isn't a lowboy available to haul it. It requires 2 drivers that can work together. 1 driving forwards the other backwards. I've been involved in a couple of floats. It's not an easy job.

While this Kenworth chassied tiltbed is typical of hundreds of other tiltbeds the story behind it isn't. In early December of '02 one of this company's drivers neglected to disconnect a battery on a wrecked pickup. The battery shorted out and sparked a fire that consumed 2 buildings, a high lift and 13 paid for tow trucks. The nightmare was compounded when the Chief of the local FD suffered a massive heart attack and died on the scene. While the remains still smouldering the owner took stock. With 2 light duties, 1 tiltbed and a borrowed heavy they went right back to work. Customers that were refered to other outfits came back after the fleet was rebuilt.
Last edited by AlleyCat on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clay

AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

There are always lots of interesting sideshows at these events. This is Cushman 3 wheeled scooter that was originally built for parking law enforcement. The mini tilt bed isn't functional but it makes a great hauler for go cart chassied mini wrecker. :)

From law enforcement we go to the fire service. This R model Mack was a rural fire tanker in it's first life.
Clay

AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

I better plug one for the boss in case he comes looking. :D

I drove both of these today. The one on the right is an 89 Kenworth T600 with a Vulcan hydraulic wrecker. Fresh from an extensive refurb it runs and drives like new. I drove this one to the show. The one on the left is a 93 Kenworth W900 with a Century hydraulic wrecker. The long wheel base, bombed up 3406 Cat and 18 speed trans make it nice highway truck. I used this to bring the F700 from the air cushion demonstration home.

This International brought back a lot of memories for me. Powered by a big Cummins and packing a Holmes 750 mechanical wrecker it reminds me of a similar truck I drove back in the late 80's and early 90's. I dragged trucks in 9 different states in that old Cornbinder.
Clay

AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

The event was hosted by Pat and Patrica Herring owners of J.E. Herring motor company in Somerset. No matter what you drive if you're ever in need of towing service anywhere near them give them a call. If it can be moved on a highway they can handle it. This pic is only part of their very large fleet. Along with wreckers and service trucks they have tractors, flatbeds, car carriers, reefer trailers, tour busses, dry van trailers, tankers, dumps, dozers, log skidders and the list goes on.

Super nice to deal with, they also offer full service truck, trailer and bus repairs. :)
Clay

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i like that box truck in mid air. they had to find the center of gravity to balance that thing. i also liek the hand crank truck even though it has a terminal illness. and the soccter with tilt bed is cool.
ForingaMex
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by ForingaMex »

I have, as long as I can remember, been fascinated with tow-trucks and I would love to get a job driving one. Hopefully someday. I also really like the looks of the Ford LTL 9000, especially with a bunk on it. Nice pics and thanks for sharing AlleyCat.
-Jake
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

-02 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
-72 Ford F100 LWB 390/C6 (Retired for now till I can rebuild/transform it)
-2000 Ford Windstar (Family Vehicle)
-92 VW Beetle (Mexican)
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

Cool pics 8) Like the old Mack and The W900 you drive... I drive a 03 W900 with an ISX & 18 speed dump truck at my part time work a bit, fun truck :D
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

Thunderfoot wrote:Cool pics 8) Like the old Mack and The W900 you drive... I drive a 03 W900 with an ISX & 18 speed dump truck at my part time work a bit, fun truck :D
:lol: Shayne now you're starting to sound like an old school steel hauler. " Long hoods, big hammers and tall gears." :thup: :thup:
Clay

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day Clay!

I too have enjoyed your photos a great deal! These special-purpose trucks are fascinating.

I see that you've mentioned a technique known as "floating," wherein two trucks haul something between them, with one of the trucks driving backwards. It's amazing that people really do this!

How quickly do the trucks move while "floating?" Is this a 5 MPH truck lot maneuver or something that's done at road speeds?

Also, what are these big trucks like when it comes time to do an emergency stop--how much space do they need in front of them to stop? Do they need much, much more space than a Bumpside does, for instance? Or do they have brakes and traction to match their immense weight?

Thanks very much for sharing these outstanding photos Clay!
Robroy
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

Here's a few more.

This is a front shot of that LTL9000. Sometimes dubbed " Henrybilts " LTL's are nice road trucks. The big Caterpillar under that long hood has a nice cackle thru a set of mufflerless chimneys. :D

The young man on the deck of this rig is getting his first taste of recovery work. A scrap car was strung between 2 light duties. Under careful supervision any kid who wanted to try this had a chance. At one truck the car was flipped onto it's roof, at the second truck it was rolled back onto it's wheels. :)
Clay

AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

This is another shot of the F700 as it was being rolled over. Even though it was a junker we took extensive before and after pics. It was towed about 190 miles round trip, rolled over and uprighted twice yet didn't have as much as an additional scratch. That folks is what damage free towing is all about.

This flamed Kenworth T800 boasts a rotating slider wrecker body that is rated at 60 tons capacity. This thing is one serious recovery unit.
Clay

AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

Here it is in action. Normally a rig this big wouldn't be used to lift a car unless the car happened to be something like a new Mercedes or BMW with little or no damage. The real point to this demonstration was the spreader bars not the wrecker. The guy facing the camera is who I drive for.

Since this is a Ford site I couldn't leave this one out. This slick era Super Duty works as a support vehicle for the outfit that hosted the show. Muddy and battle scarred it still soldiers on.

Robroy, heavy trucks require longer stopping distances than smaller vehicles. Tow trucks are an even bigger problem since most of the time the brakes on the towed unit are just along for the ride.

BTW, floating is done at low speeds.
Clay

Bumpside Collector
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bumpside Collector »

Really cool pics. I love all forms of heavy equipment! I'd like to have a bump tow truck just for the fun of it. Don't think I'd ever tow anything but I think it would be neat to drive around once in a while.
CHEESE?!?

Running:
2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback
2007 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4.6 Auto
1972 F-350 Flatbed 360 2V 4 speed

Not Running:
1967 F-100 Ranger Short Bed
1970 F-100 Ranger Long Bed
1972 F-100 Ranger XLT long Bed
1972 F-350 Really long dump flatbed parts truck
1981 F-250 Custom Long Bed (Parting out now)