O/T 1979 cougar gas guage dont work

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

O/T 1979 cougar gas guage dont work

Post by aramil »

hey guys its been a while, i could really use some help on this. i just traded a lifted chevy s-10 for a 1979 mercury cougar with the 302. the gas guage doesnt work, i really need to get it fixed but i have no idea where to start any help would be greatly appreciated.
72, f-100 ranger xlt, 360-c6, 2wd 84k miles.
77, ford f-150 custom 4x4, 400m-c6 SOLD

"the existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, sid to himself, "i want to set those people over there on fire, but i dont feel like walking over there to do it"
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: O/T 1979 cougar gas guage dont work

Post by rjewkes »

How are the other guages working? have you checked the guage panel fuse, i have no idea where to look besides under the dash for it. could even be the Instrument Volatage Regulator on the back of the Cluster. Some where semi adjustable. and you could always trace the wiring underneah and see if it still connects to the tank.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

all the other guages work, the brake light on the dash stays on all the time but other than that they all work, i was wondering if maybe the float is just old and sitting at the bottom of the tank because the gas guage bounces around empty but never goes up.... i know nothing about these cougars and there is no forums that i can find for this era of the cougar.

"the existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, sid to himself, "i want to set those people over there on fire, but i dont feel like walking over there to do it"
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

if any body has wiring diagrams or the color codes or anything it would help me alot. i went out and checked it out and there is so many splices and disconnected wires that i cant figure out..... i could really use the help guys.

rjewkes, i tried to pull the dash apart but there is one darn screw that as i turn it lose it pops right back in again.... its really frustrating me... thinking about just cutting it out since there is 5 other screws holding the guage cover on. any helpfull tips on that subject?

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

i have used something flat between a screw or bolt like that, and the surface it bolted/screwed into and as i backed it out i put pressure on it until it came out all the way.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fordamericana
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fordamericana »

aramil wrote:all the other guages work, the brake light on the dash stays on all the time but other than that they all work, i was wondering if maybe the float is just old and sitting at the bottom of the tank because the gas guage bounces around empty but never goes up.... i know nothing about these cougars and there is no forums that i can find for this era of the cougar.
So the gauge needle is moving when the fuel in the tank moves, its just not ever reading full?

Have you read this yet? http://www.fordification.com/tech/fuel- ... -units.htm I have wiring diagrams from ford for I think 67-69, for all ford vehicles. Problem is I may be losing my internet connection in the next day or two. I will look and see if I have anything of help to you... If so I will try to scan and email it, or something...
I likes My FE I does...
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

thx for the help guys, i get payed monday... could it possibly be the fuel sending unit? isnt the float part of that? ive got more to fix now, driving home last night the guage lights started flickering and finally just stopped... so now i have no gas guage or guage lights.

fordamericana, it only bounces when the road is rough or bumpy which kinda has me leaning towards the float being bad and needing replaced. any diagrams you could find would help alot, the more i look the more spliced and unconnected wires i find.

fordamericana
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fordamericana »

aramil wrote:thx for the help guys, i get payed monday... could it possibly be the fuel sending unit? isnt the float part of that? ive got more to fix now, driving home last night the guage lights started flickering and finally just stopped... so now i have no gas guage or guage lights.

fordamericana, it only bounces when the road is rough or bumpy which kinda has me leaning towards the float being bad and needing replaced. any diagrams you could find would help alot, the more i look the more spliced and unconnected wires i find.
Sounds like you have a basket case like I had with my 67 f100, someone (who didn't know what they were doing) went and cut and spliced and totally mutilated the under-dash wiring harness. I played hell getting it fixed up enough to run reliable. LOL

I will did through my books and see what I find...
I likes My FE I does...