Starting a truck that has been parked for 9 months...

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

MikeS29

Starting a truck that has been parked for 9 months...

Post by MikeS29 »

I have a couple questions about a truck that has been parked for 9 months. It was running when parked.

Assuming it won't start, and I buy it anyway and tow it home:

What are the minimum steps you would take to get it up and running? Would you replace all gas, all plugs, all plug wires, fuel filter(s), what else? Cap and rotor? Would you flush the cooling system?

If you were starting and running a vehicle that had been sitting, what else would you do post-haste?

Thanks guys, newbie here! :D
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Starting a truck that has been parked for 9 months...

Post by fordman »

battery gas and a key. then i fit doesnt start i begin checking to see why it wont start.i mean you can change the oil and so forth if yo uknwo the motor is suppose to be good. but on a unknown motor. battery gas and key. why waste money on soemthign that may be in need a work or a rebuild?
MikeS29

Post by MikeS29 »

OK, sounds like a good place to start, thanks.
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

Before you try to start it i would pull the coil wire and sparkplugs and check the oil. If oil is full turn over the engine like your trying to start it for 10-15 seconds, This will help getting oil pumped through the motor. If the plugs look ok stick them back in or if they look bad get a new set. Gas with ethonal goes bad fast, when the motor starts and sounds rough and dont clear up. get some new gas and go from their.
TimTeresa

Post by TimTeresa »

I like to pull the plugs and give a dose of WD-40. I have also set them up on #1, pulled the dist and primed the oil pump but I have adaptors for my drill to do that with.
1982 flareside
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1982 flareside »

If you dont want to use the gas tank you can take off the line going to the tank from the fuel pump that way you are sure of clean gas. On are bumps there is a filter on the bottom of the fuel pump, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT because at the bottom of my fuel pump it was full of rust. My 68 was sitting since 1980 and we got it start so you ought to be fine.
Good luck :thup:
Jeremy
1971 Ford F250 camper special 360 T18(old model) 4 speed 4.11 gears 2wd with 1969 doghouse soon to be daily driver FRANKENFORD
1982 Ford F150 flareside 300 T18(new model) 4 speed 4.11 gears 4wd Daily driver

Some people say my truck is ugly and all i say is "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
MikeS29

Post by MikeS29 »

Sounds like good advice all around. On Sunday, we had an aborted atempt at starting it. It did get turning, if ever so briefly. Didn't get a sputter, and then the battery died hard. Wednesday is when I am supposed to have another look with a friend of mine who is a better mechanic than I, and we will see what we can do to get it going. If not, then I make my offer accordingly and push it the four driveways away to mine. :hd:
MikeS29

Post by MikeS29 »

Well, I pulled the trigger. $800.

The 302 fired right up once we got a good charge on the battery, one small blast of starting fluid and it caught right now. :D

Tomorrow we do paperwork and it comes home!
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Good deal ! Welcome to the club :lol:

As long as these old motors are complete you can usally get them to fire up. I pulled a 429 out of a T-bird in the summer of '03. The car had been sitting in the same place since '88. Prior to pulling the motor I wanted to test run it, still in the T-bird. After I replaced the fluids, plugs, & wires it popped right off. It was like an old dinosaur comming back to life :thup:
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
MikeS29

Post by MikeS29 »

MaxKlinger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MaxKlinger »

My truck gets parked every year from Thanksgiving to Easter. Not quite 9 months, but definitely a while. Usually I check the oil, spray a little carb cleaner or starting fluid in the carb, and hit the key. She fires right up!

Also, I keep her in the garage, so there isn't a big problem with mice, insects, or other animals. If mine were stored outside I'd want to inspect carefully animals that may have chewed things or built nests.
Tony
'72 F100 LWB 2WD Custom, 360FE, T18
'05 Focus ZX4 ST - 2.3L, 5spd
'83 F150 LWB 2WD, 300-I6, C6 scrapped 2006