i moved a FE

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

i moved a FE

Post by fordman »

i just got done moving a 352 across my gravel floor in the garage. we moved it 10 feet by hand. it doesn't have a oil pan on it or a pump and i have it sitting on wooden blocks out of the gravel. it was sitting sideways beside a 6 cyl engine and a dishwasher on the other side of it. so anyway i would tilt the motor to one side and have my wife scoot the rear block under it further. then i let it down. then i tilted it the other way and moved the second block out near the edge of the block. i then grabbed the engine and kind of slide it across the top of the blocks to twist it out of the hole it was in. i would then lift the front by the water pump neck and with a twisting movement i dog walked the engine as my wife moved the front wooden block. after it was kind of out of the hole i had my daughter come out to help me do some more twisting turns (dog walking) of the motor as my wife moved the blocks each time. then came the fun part. i had to go between the pile of ladders and other stuff and a 351m on the other side. so we had to drag the engine across the blocks to drag it straight back towards the rear door. instead of the engine sliding across the blocks the blocks slid with the engine. except the front one. but my wife would put it back in place if it came out when we had the front lifted by woman power and the motor slid on the back blocks. we did that maneuverer 3-4 times. i think the fourth time i couldn't move it any more. i was too weak or something. so we dog walked it sideways and forward of the 351m. finally i then had a walk path to go from the front of the garage to the back of the garage. until i had to put that rear bumper back in there. now hopefully that guy comes tomorrow to get this engine.
1982 flareside
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: i moved a FE

Post by 1982 flareside »

How much do a 352 weigh? I moved a 283 by myself that is the biggest engine i moved by hand. It didnt have the center head and had to put it on a homemade engine dolly.
Jeremy
1971 Ford F250 camper special 360 T18(old model) 4 speed 4.11 gears 2wd with 1969 doghouse soon to be daily driver FRANKENFORD
1982 Ford F150 flareside 300 T18(new model) 4 speed 4.11 gears 4wd Daily driver

Some people say my truck is ugly and all i say is "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i am not sure what this one weighed. it wasnt fully dressed. i thing the fully dressed FE weighs 5-600 pounds. this was a long block with only the water pump on it. nothing else.
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

I have used a 2 wheel hand dolly to move several of these engines. It works really well, just make sure the engine is balanced on the blade. It is still a big job, but once you get it tilted back, you can go anywhere with it. :thup:
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

he came and picked it up today. so that gives me one engines worth more of space in my garage.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Man, my back hurts just reading that! :lol:

Hey does your wife have a sister?! :D
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

no and she didnt do much to help moving it. the main help was from my daughter. she is becoming more of a mechanic than my son is. i need to get him more interested in cars some how though. i showed him the process of replacing a clutch on his ranger several years ago. but that is all we have ever done.