No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: i must have a problem lol

Post by robroy »

Good evening Steve!

That's a great toy to add to your collection. Since you've spent so much time in school learning about working on modern trucks, I'm guessing it will be relatively quick and easy for you to get its main issues resolved!

That is quite a load of scrap iron in the back for an F150, unless it's all sitting on a bed full of peacock feathers! It doesn't look like it's sagging either. What's its GVW rating?

I hope your evening's going well Steve!
Robroy
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

hmmm id have to check for the gvw but its sagging quite a bit i thought :? . im just about done with school as well. This was a relitively painless fix untill those two bolts broke lol. i wont have the heads back till around monday
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

i went out and checked it is 6250 gvw or something like that
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Pretty good deal, the batterie's worth $10 bucks here, scrap $10/100lbs too. Did the upper intake still have the stupid MF'n torx bolt in the middle that always strips out?

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

Steve you'll find the 90's trucks are pretty tough too. :thup: I've put over 100k on my daily with no major problems.
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

Man I hate those torx bolts in the middle of the upper intake. 1/4" extensions and a small diameter toorx socket usually gets it if it in not overly tight. Sure are a pain. Those are tough trucks and I like the looks of them. My dad has a 93 2x4 dark blue and white with about 73k on it still. It is a real nice truck. Sounds like you have the schooling to fix the problems so it should make you a nice truck with some work.
Clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

Ive got a 93 with 5.0 and ive put 215,000 on it and have only had to put a radiator and muffler on it. still fires up and does what ever i want of it. At the price of scrap now a days you might have got the truck for free when you sell the scrap metal in the bed. good find.
ok68crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ok68crewcab »

I get on my wife all the time for buying stuff just because it was 'on sale'. However when it comes to trucks that is a different story.

Good find.
2 Blessed 2 Be Stressed
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

still got that torx one in the middle... best way to deal with that one.. I have a 3/8 drive t40 torx bit that is like 8 inches long i bought it specificly for these trucks (can grab a pic of that tool if you want). They are not hard to deal with for the most part.

The truck is unloaded now dad came down and got the scrap the back of the truck came up a good 6 inches. the truck has a fair ammount of rake to it now. still waiting on the heads for the motor.
They are really tough trucks.

it was an adventure today. Dad came down to get the scrap in the international loadstar with a rol back bed. Well about 5 miles outside of town he blows a tube out of the tire. so he gets a ride here and from 10:45 am to about 3pm we fought getting the tire off and ran around town trying to get another tire and tube. We get out there and my 1/2 breaker bar isnt up to the challenge i twist the head of it off(good thing for snap on warrenty).

So back into town we go to get a 3/4 sliding breaker bar and my cheater pipe. we go out break all the nuts loose and relize we forgot the high lift jack. So back into town to get that and after we get the old tire off we head into town get it fixed and get every thing loaded up. Man there was a TON maybe almost two tons of scrap in the back.

may have mentioned this before but the truck has 185 ish thousand miles on it the cylinder walls at the top have little to no ridge on them.

Oh and hopefully tomorrow ill know more about a mechanic job here in town.

1967 f-100 4x4
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

sounds like a good score on a great old work truck. i always like the looks of those and you still see millions of them around here. very durable trucks too.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: i must have a problem lol 5-10 part of the problem is fixed

Post by SteveC »

well i got the scrap out of the back it came to around 250$ dollars worth of iron and aluminum. The truck was burning coolant do to a leaking intake gasket. a hour or two fix, that turned into having to pull the heads cause a bolt snapped of in head. after much headache and work i finally got her up and running i defiantly need to get the front end fixed when i get the chance. I can tell that ball joints are bad and tie rod ends are bad. I confirmed this while i had the front end jacked up.

It also seems to have an exhaust leak very near to the oxygen sensor causing a lean condition that is making the computer dump fuel and run rich.

like all my trucks i drag home they are my never ending projects

thought id post a few pictures of a semi clean engine compartment

1967 f-100 4x4