Deadly accident in boise today

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Deadly accident in boise today

Post by rjewkes »

Just the factory belt would have kept his bottom glued to the seat and hopefully the seat to the floor good enough to survive.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Makes me want to go out and put the fourth bolt in my seat. Never leave a seat unbolted. or leave the seat belts out. Taping the third point and adding the third point belt is on the list now.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

rjewkes wrote:Just the factory belt would have kept his bottom glued to the seat and hopefully the seat to the floor good enough to survive.
maybe, but not necessarily. That was a high energy impact and a lap belt does very little for that. imo lap belts really only help out the most in roll overs, other types of accidents the efficacy is minimal at best when compared to shoulder type restraints.
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Do you think the extensions on the shoulder part are necessary for a Bumpside?

this is what I have heard, that the shoulder belt should come over the shoulder at @ 90 degree angle. extensions would depend on how tall you are.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

rjewkes wrote: Makes me want to go out and put the fourth bolt in my seat.
Never leave a seat unbolted. or leave the seat belts out.
Taping the third point and adding the third point belt is on the list now.
Way back, here's how I did it on my Dent...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/seatnut.jpg
That's the usual Ford 3/8 inch "U-nut" with the clip cut off.

I aways wear a seat belt and like the way it holds my skinny butt in the seat! LOL :)
...and don't like the "newer" (started in about '76 LOL;) loose-type for that reason.

Alvin in AZ
ps- hadn't read the thread yet
haminator

Post by haminator »

I know people who are too lazy to bolt their seat back in after removing it. If that seat wasn't bolted in, that is what probibly killed him, getting cruched from the seat. It looks like a bad deal, the media may try to blame tha Caddy's injuries or death on the "old truck".
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

67-77 highboys are still really common daily driven trucks around here. I've seen several of them go through wrecks, one appeared worse than this, but the driver of the truck walked away in every case seatbelt or not. Heck, I've taken a power pole at 40 MPH dead on in a 77 F-250 4x4 no seatbelt. 40MPH to zero instantly, the 351M waterpump stopped the pole. My best friend still has the truck and you wouldn't know it was wrecked other than the dash is still crumpled to the firewall from my knees.

The reason why I wrote this is because I realized this guy who sadly died in this wreck with the caddy was driving a stock height truck and everyone I know who drives one of these things daily has 35" and larger tires on it. All the ones I've seen wrecked have been lifted. If this guy had a lift and 35's his truck would've gone over the hood of the caddy and the news would probably be much different. As it were, that big bumper met the caddy engine block and stopped the truck a lot faster than if the bumper rode the hood up and took the roof off the car.

I also agree lap belt or no belt wouldn't make much difference in a case like this. Shoulder belt would save you though.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
R.Smith
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by R.Smith »

I've been looking around for a suitable later model belt myself. The dents I've seen have a huge, bulky retractor that mounts where the bumps 3rd hole is but my neighbors 91 f150 has a single bolt mount like the bump with the retractor down in the cab corner. Anybody ever tried using the belts from a late 80's-early 90's truck?
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

averagef250 wrote: I also agree lap belt or no belt wouldn't make much difference in a case like this.
Shoulder belt would save you though.
x2. :)
Read that way back before shoulder straps were standard equipment. :)

At the time, Sweden had ran a study and concluded a seat beat alone was a 49 to 51 chance a
seat belt alone would do nothing. :) "seat belts will save you" was being broadcast far and wide
in the US tho. Later in the US, they didn't have any trouble telling you how bad the "automatic
shoulder strap in the door" was when the seat belt wasn't used with it tho. At least that was
something. ;)

"taking everybody's nail clippers away when you board a plane will save you" is what we've got
going on now. LOL :)

I wear a seat belt and -like- the way it holds my butt in the seat! :) YMMV

Alvin in AZ
westernkansas

Post by westernkansas »

ok i will need to check into shoulder straps. mainly because when i am in the truck either my son or daughter is with me, sometimes both, sometimes even both kids and wife. I would like to find a way to hook up a shoulder strap for the middle passenger in a booster seat if anyone have any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day!

I just thought I'd y'all know that I'm documenting the installation of Beam's 140" retractable seat belts from SeatBeltPros.com here: May I ask for advice on BEAMS 140" WSCH300 seat beats?

I remember that there are already one or two excellent threads that cover the installing of these types of belts, yet I figured one more would not hurt!

Robroy
Last edited by robroy on Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
socalcraigster

Post by socalcraigster »

Newer cars (like that Caddie) are designed to crumple in an accident. So I am not surprised by the amount of damage it sustained. Unlike the truck, most of the shock was absorbed in the front, not transferred to Caddie's driver.

It appears from that video the truck's seat was not stock (it looked like a bucket seat). Who knows whether he installed it properly/completely. The reporter said the seat collapsed against the truck's driver on impact. The steering wheel (looked original) was also damaged. Maybe shoulder belts could have prevented/reduced the severity, but I do not think we will ever know.

If one decides to install lap belts, make sure they are done properly. Otherwise, they could fail and maybe even cause more injury than without them.

The Caddie drvier was probably texting. :nono:
1967 Flareside Shortbed Crew
1969 390 Ranger Long Bed

angliagt

Post by angliagt »

I probably need these too,especially with our 5 year old
Granddaughter.
Thank you for posting this.

- Doug
I like new things-
- when they're 40 years old!
FLASH 1

Post by FLASH 1 »

I feel bad about the accident, especially when a death is involved,, since I have been on the road since 1973 in all different trucks and seen many wrecks but has never and will never change my opinion which as follows, I do not wear seat belts period do not believe in them unless in some one elses car and for this reason when its your time its your time whether your in a complete air bag case, hiding in the closet or whatever the case be , Now all ask yourself if you buckle up and then decide to hit a train or semi head on do you really think that seat belt is going to save you NOT.. what makes me a expert nothing but I CAN SAY My dad was killed in a cabover semi-truck, I was there seatbelts or not was not going to save us running smack into a truck parked in the LH Lane with not a single sign saying LH Lane was closed in Construction back in the early 70's, BUT as saying that I do want to say thats its great that you can take every precaution on seat belt installation and putting all the safety you can in these trucks mostly with the way other drivers drive... When running a salvage yard I have cut many people out of seat belts due to failure,, Sorry just my opinion and the states are on a band wagon knowing they can generate money for seat belts and not to get the man upstairs involved but show me where the state thinks they are the man upstairs.. lot more people than you can imagine feel the same way,,, ANYWAY back to the original post I Feel bad about the loved ones he left behind...
Tom, where Ford Trucks Rule
1956 Big Window
1964 F-750 Flat Bed
1965 M-100 Mercury
1966 M-350 Mercury
1966 F350 Wrecker
1972 F-350 Crew Cab
1997 F-450 7.3 with 85,000 original miles
2006 F-150 Crew Cab
2008 F-650 Crew Cab Roll Back 6.7 Cummins
2020 Flat Top Peterbilt Roll Back PX-7 Engine
and 2 cars 1968 XLT and 2017 Mustang