Re: Horn doesn´t work!

Post by fordman »

just the bottom one only.
Florian
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Florian »

Then I can slide the rag joint out and push the steering wheel up and see the horn brush?
1971 Ford F100, 302cui, 3 on the tree

ForingaMex
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by ForingaMex »

Why don't you just remove the steering wheel? It's really not a big deal and it's the best way to get at the horn brush.
-Jake
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

-02 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
-72 Ford F100 LWB 390/C6 (Retired for now till I can rebuild/transform it)
-2000 Ford Windstar (Family Vehicle)
-92 VW Beetle (Mexican)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you dont have to mes witht he rag joint to see the horn brush. and you may not be able to see it if you try that. but to slide the shaft up you do have to loosen both bolts you circled yes.
Florian
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Florian »

Found the problem: the gap between the steering wheel and the steering column is way to large (like 0,35"). You can look inside the gap and there is no horn brush, so there´s no contact.

I won´t get the horn brush fast enough over here, because I want to pass the inspection this week, that´s why I installed a push button for the horn on the dash (where the cigarette lighter goes).
1971 Ford F100, 302cui, 3 on the tree

Oren09

Post by Oren09 »

I'm having the same issue.
After reading this thread I went back outside and poked about.
I've confirmed my horn works. I jumped it to the battery.
I pulled the horn switch. Where does the odd shaped connector go? Not the female spade, the long bent one.
I tried to jump the contacts and nothing happened.
I noticed the steering wheel has quite a gap. I looked in there and nothing is making contact in the gap. Am I right that the brush is located in the switch mechanism? There was nothing at all close to the wheel.
How do I correct the gap in the steering wheel? Would this require, pulling? Should I pull it anyway to check for the condition/presence of brush?

I was unable to check the rag joint today because its been pouring rain and my dirt driveway is soaked.
I'll clean and check the joint ground strap tomorrow. I'll also check for continuity on the horn swtich.

Pics: click to enlarge
~Austin
1971 F250 Ranger XLT Camper Special. 360, auto.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the bent prong goes into the wheel . into one of those holes for pulling the steering wheel. to close the gap you loosen the two under dahs bolt. grab the outer column and pull it up towards the wheel. retighten the bolts. the horn brush is a removeable piece that does fit into the the tss. http://www.fordification.com/images/for ... ontact.jpg
Oren09

Post by Oren09 »

Thankee :) I owe you, dude. You always answer me. I'm very new to bumps and classic cars, and fairly green on cars in general- especially beyond general maintenance and repair.

I will try that tomorrow, time and weather permitting.
~Austin
Oren09

Post by Oren09 »

I loosed the bolts and pulled the steering column, but the wheel moved with it- the gap didn't change.
I'm going to locate a brush and go ahead and replace that if needed then go from there. Might be awhile, but its written on my paper list (and not my mental one) so it will get done.
~Austin
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the rag joint probably streched out and followed the outer column upwards. now that column column is up push down on the wheel then get insdie the engine compartment and adjut the bearing retainer back up against the retainer. that will keep the wheel down to the outer column.
whizbang

Post by whizbang »

fordman wrote:the horn relay is usually the last thing to go bad on these trucks. take the horn pad or ring off and look at the horn bruch inside o fhte column. if you have a horn pad then you will have to take the wheel off to see the horn brush. it is the most breakable thing on these trucks and the most common to go bad or be missing.
horn brush location http://www.fordification.com/images/for ... tainer.jpg
horn brush http://www.fordification.com/images/for ... ontact.jpg
i couldnt find any pictures of the horn brush location for thr 71 72 trucks. but it sits in the turn signal switch. and looks like the picture above.

Whats the number 2 pionting in the image ??????
whizbang

Post by whizbang »

fordman wrote:the horn relay is usually the last thing to go bad on these trucks. take the horn pad or ring off and look at the horn bruch inside o fhte column. if you have a horn pad then you will have to take the wheel off to see the horn brush. it is the most breakable thing on these trucks and the most common to go bad or be missing.
horn brush location http://www.fordification.com/images/for ... tainer.jpg
horn brush http://www.fordification.com/images/for ... ontact.jpg
i couldnt find any pictures of the horn brush location for thr 71 72 trucks. but it sits in the turn signal switch. and looks like the picture above.

WHAT GOES IN THAT HOLE AT NUMBER 2.....????????????
mrollings53
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrollings53 »

This is what goes in that hole. Try actually reading what fordman wrote, because it's written right there. And no need to loose your cool. People don't spend their every waking moment on here waiting to answer questions that have already been answered.
Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue
wartmeister

Post by wartmeister »

69 F100, total rebuild. Just getting to installing a new horn. Nothing fancy...just an LMC replacement. The American Autwire kit runs a single wire to the horn and simply says connect it. However, the horn has two male blade terminals. Does the second one need to be wired to ground?
BTW, American Autowire re-locates the horn relay under the dash...
Thanks in advance for the assist.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Not sure about your replacement horn. Original horns only had 1 wire to the horn itself and it was hot. The ground triggered through the brass contact horn button under the steering wheel, completing the circuit and causing the horn to sound. Maybe the replacement horn has 2 tones, hence the 2 terminals? I would install the horn and check continuity to ground on both terminals. Then I would connect 1 terminal and test the horn. Then while that's still connected, check for voltage on the empty terminal. Wouldn't want to hook a ground wire to a hot terminal! If not, move the wire to the other terminal and see if the horn sounds with a different tone. If so, then use one or the other or jumper to both?
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.