POR-15 V.S. primer and paint

Moderator: FORDification

fordluver

POR-15 V.S. primer and paint

Post by fordluver »

I noticed that you mentioned POR-15 and metal ready. I'm just starting a project of my own and planned on sanding , priming and painting my underbody. I may change my mind now. What are the advantages of POR-15?
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: POR-15 V.S. primer and paint

Post by trukcrazy »

Hey Fordluver, welcome to the forum. What truck do you have? We also like pictures alot, especially projects. You might want to introduce yourself in the Welcome Mat so everyone can say hi! :D
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
fordluver

Post by fordluver »

Thanks,,,,I'll get some photo's together...workin on a 72 ford body, puttin it on a 70 f250 4x4 frame....
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I like the fact that you can brush or spray it on, right over top of the rust. Even though I take my down to bare metal anyway, it's not necessary. As long as you get loose dirt, grease and scaly rust removed, you can apply POR-15. It actually adheres better to slightly rusted surfaces than bare metal. It's also a LOT faster. I was able to strip down my firewall in one afternoon and have it completely coated with POR-15 (with several Krylon colorcoats) in a matter of hours. The time I'd have had to invest in priming and painting it myself (not to mention cleanup) would have been substantially more....and probably wouldn't have stood the test of time as well as POR-15. And there's the money savings. I did my firewall area with about a quarter of a quart can of POR-15 and two cans of Krylon.

Of course, my project is a daily driver truck, so some minor imperfections caused from my brushing it on are immaterial. The types of minor blemishes I'm getting would probably be eliminated if I'd have sprayed it on. However, if I'd been building it to show then I'd have primed and painted it, since the visual quality would have been better.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Do you have to treat the POR-15 before you paint it?
Or is that only if you paint over it when dry and not tacky?
The reason I ask is that I've heard the stuff is so hard and slick that nothing will stick to it after it drys.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Nefarious67

Post by Nefarious67 »

I have por 15 on my radiator support. Had to sand it to apply black paint over it. It does not sand easily :lol:
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Right, the POR-15 website suggests applying a color coat (if desired) while it's still tacky. Otherwise it will have to be sanded, and as Nefarious67 mentioned, once it's cured it's pretty hard and requires some effort to rough up enough to prime/paint. However, they also say their 'POR-15 Tie-Coat Primer' is the best thing to use prior to topcoating a cured application....don't know if that's true or they're simply pushing some more of their own products.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
Fordfool

Post by Fordfool »

I am looking at their site, but cannot tell for sure. What would be best for coating the frame? I am taking it all the way down to the frame and blasting the frame. Which would be best to coat that with? I like the option of brushing it on. That way I can make sure to hit every crevice.
michaelbrainard

Post by michaelbrainard »

Before photo of one of the inner fenders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michaelbrainard

After photos - in my extra bedroom....my wife isn't happy...but they will get dirty in the garage!

Underside - POR15 - epoxy primer then two coats of rubberized undercoating
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michaelbrainard

After photo....inside of inner fender - POR15 - Epoxy primer then PPG Delstar gloss black. Photo doesn't do it justice. First attempt at spraying went quite well!

YOu can see in the background, my other parts awaiting completion...someone come help! I NEED TO SAND THE CAB! ICK!
michaelbrainard

Another note...and a good reason to use the foam brushes.....bristle brushes loose bristles and they get stuck in the POR15....been there done that....you can try but i suggest not!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=6

That's what I use and recommend. The only drawback not mentioned yet it's sensitivity to ultra-violet light. Over time it's deep black will start to fade, but it will still work as a rust-inhibitive product as before. However, since a frame is not something which really sees extended exposure to the sun, I would think the fading would be fairly limited. However, you can topcoat while the POR-15 is still tacky, which is what I do, so I won't have to worry about the fading. You could do the same on your frame if it's a concern.

As mentioned though, preparation is key to it's doing it's job and not coming off later down the road. If you can sandblast the frame, that's best. If not, use an angle grinder with a wire wheel attachment and plan on spending several weekends hitting every square inch of your frame to get it as clean as possible. Then use MarineClean on the frame, then MetalReady (to give it a slight etch for bite), rinse and apply POR-15.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
greenbank

Post by greenbank »

Hmmmm. I'm interested in their engine enamels, for private tractor related reasons. :D Can anyone point me to an example of what Ford Green or Buick Green look like? I would need a deep forest green.
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

michaelbrainard,
NICE :thup: ......
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers