Backyard paint booth

Moderator: FORDification

67 ford f100s rule
Preferred User
Preferred User

Backyard paint booth

Post by 67 ford f100s rule »

I was brainstorming up ways to budget paint Jeanine. When I had the idea of scratch building a paint booth in my back yard. I was thinknig using PVC to make it light and tarps to form the walls roof and floor and seal it up and maybe use a zipper to open and close it. I am thinking the dimensions should be 2 feet wider on both sides of the truck so I am thinking 10 maybe 11 feet wide and 9 feet high. Does this sound doable to y'all????
Jeff Penland

70 Ford F100 LWB "Nadine" 302/3 speed with overdrive
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand
"I shall hold the line of right as well as that of glory." English translation of the British Penland coat of arms.
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Backyard paint booth

Post by Caseys71 »

I'd say go for it just be careful. It's doable as I know many people at school even that have painted there cars in their backyards. I think your biggest concern would probably be with dust and dirt getting in your paint. That and you might want to do a bit more than 2 feet on each side so your a bit more comfortable in their spraying although 2 feet on each side would probably be okay, I'd just make sure it didn't make me feel cramped up in there. As far as the tarps go they should be alright as long as it isn't to windy outside as the wind will probably mess up your whole operation :lol:. The zipper Idea you were talking about will probably do better than just about anything else at sealing out the elements though, but if that didn't work out you could use those tarp bungees and tie the tarps up to the PVC frame and tape the seams for your door when you enter to keep it closed. Good luck getting Jeanine dipped in a new coat of paint, I bet she'll appreciate it :thup:.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
67 ford f100s rule
Preferred User
Preferred User

Caseys71 wrote:I'd say go for it just be careful. It's doable as I know many people at school even that have painted there cars in their backyards. I think your biggest concern would probably be with dust and dirt getting in your paint. That and you might want to do a bit more than 2 feet on each side so your a bit more comfortable in their spraying although 2 feet on each side would probably be okay, I'd just make sure it didn't make me feel cramped up in there. As far as the tarps go they should be alright as long as it isn't to windy outside as the wind will probably mess up your whole operation :lol:. The zipper Idea you were talking about will probably do better than just about anything else at sealing out the elements though, but if that didn't work out you could use those tarp bungees and tie the tarps up to the PVC frame and tape the seams for your door when you enter to keep it closed. Good luck getting Jeanine dipped in a new coat of paint, I bet she'll appreciate it :thup:.
Yeah. I am thinking that I will build some kind venting system. I plan on making a floor for it too. to further limit dust and dirt. As for the wind problem i am thinking about using the inspiration from a raij fly on a tent. Use ropes to stake the tarps into the gorund and keep them still. I will probably up the width to probalby 3 or 4 because I hadnt considered spray distance. :doh:

But thansk you got me thinknig aobut some of the suff I overlooked. But Jeanine will lvoe her Grabber Blue and white paint job I am sure. :D
Jeff Penland

"I shall hold the line of right as well as that of glory." English translation of the British Penland coat of arms.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

67 ford f100s rule wrote:I was brainstorming up ways to budget paint Jeanine. When I had the idea of scratch building a paint booth in my back yard. I was thinknig using PVC to make it light and tarps to form the walls roof and floor and seal it up and maybe use a zipper to open and close it. I am thinking the dimensions should be 2 feet wider on both sides of the truck so I am thinking 10 maybe 11 feet wide and 9 feet high. Does this sound doable to y'all????
oh noooooooooo you sound just like me a couple years ago! ahh the horrible horrible memories :no: :help:

:(
-Ryan
67 ford f100s rule
Preferred User
Preferred User

Hey ryan, did you use a glue to glue those together??? I also plan to run a piece of PVC along the botom so it joins the supports together.
Jeff Penland

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

yep we used glue at every joint. PVC is just way too flexable, water will find a way to build up on the top and the tarp/pvc will flex and then it will sag, then disaster strikes. As long as you make the roof super tight, you should be OK, but that is hard to do. I had bags of cement and heavy things sitting on the surplus tarp on the ground, on each side of the tent structure holding itreally tight. But that is still not enough. You need to have some way of clamping the tarp roof to the sides of the roof, not at the ground like me. But in order to do this you would have to have a tarp that already has holes in them with the gold rings for strength. Just get creative and make sure it is strong if you make one. Also, unless it is an expensive heavy duty tarp, it will leak lots of water. Every little weave in the tarp will form water together every few inches and it will drip, so if you have wet paint and want it to stay drive, tarp isn't the way to go. Just paint when it is sunny...
Or, if it won't be in rain then don't worry about it but i'm guessing it will since it's winter
-Ryan
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Ya know for the time and money to buy pvc and tarps you might be able to rent a booth.
or even pay someone to paint it. I understand the pride of doing it yourself but sometimes it's not as economical as it seems. :2cents:
george worley
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by george worley »

I think 2x2 and plastic panels would work good make it so you could disasemble it so it could be stored and used again. 2x2 would be sturdier and easier to work with than PVC.
67 ford f100s rule
Preferred User
Preferred User

cep62 wrote:Ya know for the time and money to buy pvc and tarps you might be able to rent a booth.
or even pay someone to paint it. I understand the pride of doing it yourself but sometimes it's not as economical as it seems. :2cents:
yeah I had planned on renting a booth but if I cant find one then I will have to go with that idea. But I get repair work from family members alot. So I really need a place to work on them and tro store Jeanine in the winter.
Jeff Penland

jhndrrus

Post by jhndrrus »

Go buy a car port tent from costco for like $500. It comes with doors that zip up & heavy canvas stuff. Ive had mine going 10 years & they're great to paint in!!
ImageImageImageThe more I'm around people, the more I love livestock.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

jhndrrus wrote:Go buy a car port tent from costco for like $500. It comes with doors that zip up & heavy canvas stuff. Ive had mine going 10 years & they're great to paint in!!
That's what i currently have and that's what i would do i think. Mine was from pepboys and was like $300 or something for the sides and top and another $100 for the front and back. I've had it for a couple years now, the roof ripped in half though and now tape is holding it back together. So it lasts OK but not too great
-Ryan
67 ford f100s rule
Preferred User
Preferred User

I have had a better idea. I am going to build a lean-to onto my garage. I can make it sturdier than pvc and I can just use it as my parking space for Jeanine.
Jeff Penland

68 BB Bump

Post by 68 BB Bump »

I made my booth inside my garage. I used a door I got from a local lumberyard that was damaged which was OK because I cut the center out to insert filters. Than put a box fan in the window to evacuate fumes. One thing to keep in mind on the size you make it is if you ventilate it the sides will suck in giving you less room. Mine worked great very little dust.
1968 F100 460 C6
1976 Jeep CJ7 AMC 401 (It's not a bump but it likes bumps/rocks)
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP

ImageImage
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Woah... THat looks familiar.
OVerhaulin'?
-Ryan
jhndrrus

Post by jhndrrus »

thats sweet lookin paint! you got anymore picture of it?
ImageImageImageThe more I'm around people, the more I love livestock.