Proformance Unlimited 390FE for #50: a complete disaster.

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Proformance Unlimited 390FE for #50: a complete disaster.

Post by Redcap »

Take these turds to court.
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

ToughOldFord wrote:bs
Yep, sounds like it so far, but have to wait for Doug! :)

---------------------------

The green can of brake cleaner is basically carb-cleaner and has acetone in it, which is like
lacquer thinner. IME it doesn't quickly soften quality enamel paints like car finishes have.

Lacquer -dries- out, that's it, it just-up-and dries out. LOL :)

Enamel changes to another chemical (usually by reacting with the oxygen in the air) and is
no longer soluble by the solvents it was dissolved in.

Portland Cement --> concrete has changed chemically, it doesn't "just dry out" like lacquer,
water is the reactant here, just like with poly-urethane and Super-Glue, water reacts with
it and changes it to something different.

Either way, that yellow paint was some sorry assed paint and/or wasn't applied right. :(

It'd be money in Doug's pocket to pay you 8500 bucks IMdumbO, but I'm not a business man.

The internet is going to kick the crap out of crooked dealings! :)
Ain't the internet cool? :)

Alvin in AZ
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

A little more on camshaft failures and the importance of correct oil and break-in procedure. Joe Gibbs and Joe Gibbs Racing (NASCAR), have developed their own break-in oil to combat the recent upsurge of camshaft failures during engine break-in. A lot of the extreme engine builders from 460ford.com use and recommend this and a few other brands of break-in specific oil.

Here is a little for Joe Gibbs oil website:
"1999 – Mark Cronquist and the Joe Gibbs Racing engine department continue to experience flat-tappet camshaft failures on the dyno and at the racetrack. Research begins to find the contributing causes. Use of API rated engine oil is found to be a contributing cause. Development contract is signed and R&D begins on Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil. In 1999, over $500,000 worth of engines are used testing and evaluating prototype versions of the BR break-in oil and XP1 racing oil.
Used by Joe Gibbs Racing to break-in and dyno all their engines.
Petroleum oil formula provides the highest levels of Zinc and Phosphorus for flat-tappet engines.
Promotes ring seal and provides maximum protection available for cams and lifters during initial break-in.
Good for 2 hours dyno time. Requires no additional additives. Provides maximum compression and generates maximum horsepower. Compatible with methanol and high-octane race fuels.
Is This The Right Oil For My Application?
Specifically designed for breaking in engines and flat tappet camshafts and lifters, BR break-in oil provides high levels of Zinc, Phosphorus and Sulfur in a mineral base oil. BR protects flat-tappet camshafts and lifters during break-in and it provides excellent ring seal. Combined with Joe Gibbs Driven Engine Assembly Grease, BR provides the highest levels of protection for camshafts, lifters, wrist pins, distributor gears, push rods and valve retainers. BR is fully formulated and requires no EOS or other additives. BR should be pre-heated to 180F before firing the engine for maximum protection. Because it is a 15W-50, BR can be used for up to 2 hours of break-in/dyno time before changing to race oil."

From Crane Cams website:
"For extended camshaft life, flat-tappet cams should not be run with more than the
recommended open valve spring pressure. Racing applications will often need to run more spring pressure at
the expense of reduced camshaft life. In order to “break-in” a camshaft with high open pressures, the inner
springs should be removed to reduce “break-in” load. The inner springs can then be reinstalled after initial
“break-in” is complete."
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yeah, didn't see a mention of the spring pressure being too high for the application being the other builders most likely cause of the cam failure...

You have them by the balls over the seats being ground too deeply into the heads and being uneven. That shows a complete lack of attention on their part.

Sounds like the opening act of their song and dance. I would suggest (as suggested before) to have hard numbers and lots of pictures. Everyone makes mistakes but remind them if they get defensive;

'I didn't feel confident doing the cleaning after finding so much trash in it so I took it to an expert in FE's and he found all these basic novice engine builder mistakes. I didn't pay $8995 for a novice built engine, I trusted you to deliver on your word of honor that it would be what you said it would be.'

From the other reports I wonder if you will ever hear from Doug?
Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Oh yeah, one other thing, if he's being evasive ask to talk to the guy that assembled the motor and did the checking. Ask what they check during a rebuild. Quite honestly I doubt they check the mains and rod journals for concentricity through the hole. I would never think if it, but then usually if I don't have a way to fix something I close my eyes and hope it's right when it goes together. The valve seats they had to see and just ignored (customer won't ever see them attitude). For that money they should have at least cared enough to make the basics right, not just do a slap shod jopb if it.

Think about this, the #1 complaint from customers about motor swap jobs is exhaust leaks and rattles so why wouldn't they face the manifold decks? It's the same machine they use to deck the block and head surfaces. Lazy maybe, probably?

Jamie

zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by zakt »

I would bet you will never see a dime of money from them without a lawsuit :x (cause thats how it rolls....) We tried to be all nice to our house builder about fixing some stuff and they gave us a letter in the mail they wouldnt fix it how I wanted and considered the matter closed ( wrong answer, I was beyond pissed ) took them to court and won (and they had to pay all the court costs) :lol:

Todd
1972 Ford F350 crewcab
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

As a machinist of almost 30 years these clowns need to fess up like "big boys".No one walks on water hell in my time I've scraped parts that cost more than my house cost,if you can't cope with a mistake.....time for a new line of work.This shop must make it right voluntarily or by force.give them hell
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Ranchero50 wrote:Yeah, didn't see a mention of the spring pressure being too high for the application being the other builders most likely cause of the cam failure...

Jamie
I'm just going by the fact that the Proformance engine had dual springs w/flat wound damper set-up. Obviously more spring pressure than stock. I don't remember what Robroy said the spring pressures were but I remember seeing the pic of Tom measuring them. My .580 lift cam has a recommended seat pressure of around 125 and an open pressure around 350. I wonder what Robroy's were. I was told to break my cam in without the inner spring in place.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening ToughOldFord, Jeff W., BobbyFord, FoMoCoGuy, Aaron, Alvin, Jamie, Todd, and Eggman918, thanks for your truly excellent replies!
ToughOldFord wrote: :bs:
I can see why you'd have this response! But hey, at least they were nice enough to hear me out on the phone.
70shortwide wrote:you said you have a way of seeing their website as it was when you oredered your engine? look to see if they list H beams on their list of parts for that crate motor.
Yes, I do have a way of seeing old revisions of their web site: The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine

In this case though, I needn't use this, since the PDF invoice I received lists the Eagle H-Beams. This said, it should be remembered that Steve already explained that it was a simple mistake. Still, since very little was itemized on the invoice I'm not sure exactly what I paid for (and I'll probably never know).
70shortwide wrote:also, I thought the numbers from tom were approx 330-340 hp? I wouldnt exaggerate numbers in their favor...
I see your point here! I actually included the slightly higher figure because that's the highest figure I'd heard from Tom so far--I'd heard a few different ones. They're estimates after all.

Although I think you're wise for suggesting that I avoid exaggerating numbers in their favor, there's another perspective on this same concept. I figure you're probably aware of this, so please forgive me for my rant about it. That's the idea that the quickest way to loose a debate is to over-state one's claims--to exaggerate. Exaggerated claims are the easiest of all to rebut, while a rebuttal attempt against a modest claim actually draws attention to the claim's integrity.

And if a modest claim is investigated, and the results are even more in support of the position than the claim initially expressed, it builds great favor in the debate!
BobbyFord wrote:I think a lot of Steve's answers were covering his own a$$.
I can see why you'd say that. Regardless of whether or not his answers were justified, the steady refrain was offering defense for every point I brought up. That didn't surprise me though--the things I brought up would probably make most guys feel pretty defensive!
BobbyFord wrote:There was absolutely not enough metal ground off of the windage tray and circulated to cause the cam and several lifters to fail.
Thanks for reiterating your convicted view on that! I think you're right.
BobbyFord wrote:Any engine builder knows (or should) to remove the inner valve springs during the critical 20-30 minute camshaft break-in procedure.
That makes sense. You know, I actually did hear from him that they pay special attention to spring pressure during break-in, although I didn't specifically hear that they'd removed the super stiff springs for that.
BobbyFord wrote:My opinion is that the cam went flat and sent the damaging metal fragments throughout the engine.
Yeah, that's also Tom's opinion. It makes sense!
BobbyFord wrote:He CLEARLY should have left the inner springs out and informed you of proper camshaft break-in procedure.
Perhaps! Yet remember that the break-in was supposedly done, in its entirety, at Proformance Unlimited.
BobbyFord wrote:Incidentally, on the subject of the paint, here is a Duplicolor engine paint can that clearly states "ceramic", which, to me, doesn't really mean it's better than non-ceramic paint.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd3/ ... G_1139.jpg
Oh! Thanks for pointing this out! That makes Steve's claim that ceramic paint was used on the engine make more sense. I also see your point about "ceramic" not necessarily meaning the paint's top notch.
fomocoguy wrote:I have thoughts on every lame excuse he gave you for their sloppy work and corner cutting to save a buck, but I'm not going to tell you what you already know.
If you're inclined to provide them, your specific thoughts on each point could be informative to me--I don't necessarily already know stuff! But I completely understand if you'd rather not wade through it. There were LOTS of points covered over the half hour we were on the phone.
fomocoguy wrote:He is going to tell you whatever he can to cover his rear.
Yes, this could be true.
fomocoguy wrote:It was done mostly wrong, plain and simple. Your pics and details from Tom prove that 100%. The looseness you could feel in the valve guides is a fine example; I just pulled apart a 130k miles engine that was full of gunk and I can't feel any looseness in the guides. A newly rebuilt head with loose valves is sloppy or careless or both, period, and that trend obviously ran throughout the entire build.
You're probably right here. I found Steve's explanation about the loose clearances being that way on purpose, to avoid heat build-up, particularly interesting.

Are tolerances left loose on purpose for this reason very often? Or is this simply a creative response to my complaint?
fomocoguy wrote:I'll be interested to see what he has to say once the pics and detailed measurements hit his desk. I don't see how he could even begin to argue your request for a refund.
Yes, I'm very interested in this too! Later tonight I'll post the same e-mail here that I'll be sending to them, that includes the photos and all the specific measurements I have.
fomocoguy wrote:I can see his point about having him fix it, but on the other hand I highly doubt it would have been checked to the extent that Tom checked everything. It is now in good hands.
Yup! Besides, he made it very clear to me on several occasions that he didn't believe it needed to be taken apart at all. He urged me to clean it externally, even after I'd presented him with detailed photos of pretty nasty metal contamination. And that was my main reason for taking it to another shop--at the time, it sounded like he wasn't willing to clean it out for me.
fomocoguy wrote:Also, I'd just like to point out that his comments on oil flow to the head just proves that he's dabbling in engines that he knows nothing about.
This seems like a true statement. Even though I'm a beginner, I've read enough about FE oil control to know that it's a technical and important topic, and that the strategy of just pumping as much oil as possible around the engine isn't the best approach.
Redcap wrote:Take these turds to court.
I'm hoping that it won't come to that!
Alvin in AZ wrote:
ToughOldFord wrote:bs
Yep, sounds like it so far, but have to wait for Doug! :)
Indeed!
Alvin in AZ wrote:The green can of brake cleaner is basically carb-cleaner and has acetone in it, which is like
lacquer thinner. IME it doesn't quickly soften quality enamel paints like car finishes have.
Ah! Interesting.
Alvin in AZ wrote:Lacquer -dries- out, that's it, it just-up-and dries out. LOL :)

Enamel changes to another chemical (usually by reacting with the oxygen in the air) and is
no longer soluble by the solvents it was dissolved in.
That's quite interesting. I've always been curious to understand more about different types of paint.
Alvin in AZ wrote:Portland Cement --> concrete has changed chemically, it doesn't "just dry out" like lacquer,
water is the reactant here, just like with poly-urethane and Super-Glue, water reacts with
it and changes it to something different.
I see!
Alvin in AZ wrote:Either way, that yellow paint was some sorry assed paint and/or wasn't applied right. :(
Yeah, that seems probable!
Alvin in AZ wrote:It'd be money in Doug's pocket to pay you 8500 bucks IMdumbO, but I'm not a business man.
Agreed. It would be a significant show of good business conduct, in an adverse situation, with LOTS of very interested folks watching. It would mean a lot!
Alvin in AZ wrote:The internet is going to kick the crap out of crooked dealings! :)
Ain't the internet cool? :)
Indeed, and reward good service like nothing ever has before. It truly is amazing! I think about this every day.
BobbyFord wrote:A little more on camshaft failures and the importance of correct oil and break-in procedure.
Thanks for including those informative paragraphs! I suppose since Proformance Unlimited did the break-in themselves, we'll never know exactly how that was done, or whether or not they were aware of any problems at the time. But the information you've shared could help for a future engine--thanks for adding it here!
Ranchero50 wrote:Yeah, didn't see a mention of the spring pressure being too high for the application being the other builders most likely cause of the cam failure...
Excellent observation! I forgot to mention that. The topic did come up. When I said that the springs were rated at 150 pounds of pressure, Steve immediately asked if that pressure was the open or closed pressure. And I didn't know the answer to his question, so we just moved on to the next topic.

Being such a novice, they definitely have that advantage when talking to me on the phone.
Ranchero50 wrote:You have them by the balls over the seats being ground too deeply into the heads and being uneven. That shows a complete lack of attention on their part.
Yes, could be!
Ranchero50 wrote:Sounds like the opening act of their song and dance. I would suggest (as suggested before) to have hard numbers and lots of pictures.
Yeah! I certainly have lots of pictures. Today I added up all the photos that were posted to the previous thread, and this one, since it began, and it's over four hundred! And as you know, these are quality photos, not cell phone snapshots! As for the hard numbers, I need to collect more of those from Tom. I have some of the key ones already, but I know that more would be better.
Ranchero50 wrote:Everyone makes mistakes but remind them if they get defensive;

'I didn't feel confident doing the cleaning after finding so much trash in it so I took it to an expert in FE's and he found all these basic novice engine builder mistakes. I didn't pay $8995 for a novice built engine, I trusted you to deliver on your word of honor that it would be what you said it would be.'
Yeah that's a good suggestion!
Ranchero50 wrote:From the other reports I wonder if you will ever hear from Doug?
Good question!
Ranchero50 wrote:Oh yeah, one other thing, if he's being evasive ask to talk to the guy that assembled the motor and did the checking. Ask what they check during a rebuild. Quite honestly I doubt they check the mains and rod journals for concentricity through the hole. I would never think if it, but then usually if I don't have a way to fix something I close my eyes and hope it's right when it goes together. The valve seats they had to see and just ignored (customer won't ever see them attitude). For that money they should have at least cared enough to make the basics right, not just do a slap shod jopb if it.
That's a good idea! Hopefully my letter to them that I'll be sending tonight will advance the situation beyond the type of arguing where he's likely to become evasive again. And regarding what you'd do for that kind of money, I'm sure what you're saying is completely accurate! Just look at the beautiful parts you produce for just $50 or whatever, out of aluminum. Now imagine what you'd do with $8,955.
Ranchero50 wrote:Think about this, the #1 complaint from customers about motor swap jobs is exhaust leaks and rattles so why wouldn't they face the manifold decks? It's the same machine they use to deck the block and head surfaces. Lazy maybe, probably?
Yeah, that's one of the funniest things I've run in to so far! And I know what you mean about exhaust leaks, especially with headers, being a super popular problem.
zakt wrote:I would bet you will never see a dime of money from them without a lawsuit :x (cause thats how it rolls....)
You could be right here.
zakt wrote:We tried to be all nice to our house builder about fixing some stuff and they gave us a letter in the mail they wouldnt fix it how I wanted and considered the matter closed ( wrong answer, I was beyond pissed ) took them to court and won (and they had to pay all the court costs) :lol:
Well, I'm glad you got justice there, in the end!
eggman918 wrote:As a machinist of almost 30 years these clowns need to fess up like "big boys".No one walks on water hell in my time I've scraped parts that cost more than my house cost,if you can't cope with a mistake.....time for a new line of work.This shop must make it right voluntarily or by force.give them hell
I can see why you'd say these things! As for giving them hell, my intentions are to be amicable, polite, and patient with them, but if I do wind up needing to take them to court, naturally I'll desire an outcome that puts me in the position I would have been in if none of this trouble had come to pass. And that would involve a much bigger settlement than what I'm asking for today.
Alvin in AZ wrote:Everything I mailed them was typed out on an 8088XT and PFS-Write except for the last few phone calls. :) Robroy, hope you get a kick out of that last sentence. LOL :)
Sure did! I don't see guys mentioning 8088 XT computers much these days. PFS-Write is a new one to me though. :)
BobbyFord wrote:I'm just going by the fact that the Proformance engine had dual springs w/flat wound damper set-up. Obviously more spring pressure than stock. I don't remember what Robroy said the spring pressures were but I remember seeing the pic of Tom measuring them.
The measurement was 150 pounds. I'm not sure if that was "open" or "closed" though. Maybe the photo makes that self-evident: CRW_5420z.jpg
BobbyFord wrote:My .580 lift cam has a recommended seat pressure of around 125 and an open pressure around 350. I wonder what Robroy's were. I was told to break my cam in without the inner spring in place.
I see!

ToughOldFord, Jeff W., BobbyFord, FoMoCoGuy, Aaron, Alvin, Jamie, Todd, and Eggman918, thanks again for your terrific replies!

Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening!

Update: today I received a voice mail from Kim at Proformance Unlimited, reminding me to e-mail them photos of the problems found in the engine. Nice of them to call huh (no sarcasm intended)?

I just sent this e-mail. Since I used a fixed-width font to achieve text formatting, I'll put it in a "code" format here (to preserve its fixed-width nature):

Code: Select all

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:49:47 -0800 (PST)
To: info@proformanceunlimited.com, slejda@proformanceunlimited.com
Subject: Job #8148:  Complete engine failure:  Requesting $8,497.39 refund.

Hello Proformance Unlimited!

Doug, I'm including you in this mail because I think you'll want to know
about the situation.  Also, I'll be asking for a decision from you on my
refund request.

Steve, thanks for guiding me with the engine up to this point!  I appreciate
how friendly, patient and helpful you've been!  Kim, thanks for fielding my
many phone calls over the past year.

I'm writing to request a refund in the amount of $8,497.39.

This money will be used to pay FE Specialties to rebuild the 390 engine I
bought from you, and to do the necessary modifications to achieve the
approximate performance I was promised by you (at least 400 horsepower, and
a calculated 436 horsepower).

Here's a copy of the estimate this specific dollar amount is based upon:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/FE_Specialties_Estimate_A.png

To establish a complete context, I've included a chronological account of
key events at the end of this e-mail.  This account covers events from the
day I became a Proformance Unlimited customer through today, December 29th,

Here are 23 reasons why I'm requesting this refund, including photos and
videos to help explain each one.  If you'd like more detail on any of these
points, please let me know and I'll ask FE Specialties and/or their
machinist for whatever you'd like.

1]  Upon taking the engine apart, FE Specialties discovered that
       several of the camshaft lobes and valve lifters had
       disintegrated, releasing a large amount of metal debris in
       to the engine.

It's the opinion of FE Specialties that these failures were
       caused by an improper camshaft break-in process.

Please see the time-line (later in this same e-mail) for the
       events that led to this tear-down.

Here's the camshaft:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5501z.jpg

Here's the worst lobe:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5535z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5534z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5533z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5536z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5537z.jpg

Here are the rest of the lobes:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5502z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5503z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5505z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5507z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5509z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5512z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5515z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5517z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5519z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5520z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5523z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5522z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5525z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5527z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5528z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5531z.jpg

Here's a video of FE Specialties discussing both
       problems #1 and #2.

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/fe_specialties/WMV/Introduction_and_Cyli
nders.wmv

2]  The debris from the camshaft failure caused significant
       scoring of the cylinder walls.  The scoring is deep enough
       that the block required re-boring, and new pistons and rings
       to match the larger bore.

Here are photos of the cylinders:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5374z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5375z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5371z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5370z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5377z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5376z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5380z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5368z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5381z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_5372.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_5373.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5422z.jpg

Here's a video of FE Specialties discussing both
       problems #1 and #2.

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/fe_specialties/WMV/Introduction_and_Cyli
nders.wmv

3]  The pistons were also scratched up.  This said,
       this wasn't the primary reason I've needed to
       buy new pistons--I needed to buy the new pistons
       to fit the new, larger bore size.

Here are photos of the scratched up pistons:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5497z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5495z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5496z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5493z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5492z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5491z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5490z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5489z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5411z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5410z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5409z.jpg

Here's a video of FE Specialties explaining the
       condition of the pistons:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/fe_specialties/WMV/Piston_Scoring.wmv

4]  The camshaft failure ruined many of the valve lifters.
       Here are the two worst off (two perspectives on each):

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5441z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5442z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5444z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5445z.jpg

And here are the rest:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5436z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5438z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5440z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5449z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5451z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5453z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5454z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5456z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5457z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5459z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5460z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5462z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5463z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5465z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5466z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5468z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5469z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5471z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5472z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5474z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5475z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5477z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5478z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5480z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5481z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5484z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5485z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5487z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5488z.jpg

condition of the valve lifters:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/fe_specialties/WMV/Valve_Lifters.wmv

5]  The crankshaft I received was bent at the snout--it had
       to be replaced.  The machinist said that if he turned it
       (necessary because of all the scratches), there would
       be no way to balance it (because of the bend).

Here are some photos that show the scratches:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5425z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5424z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5429z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5427z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5431z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5430z.jpg

Here's a video of FE Specialties explaining the crankshaft
       scratches.  Note that the video was taken before the
       machinist discovered that in addition to the scratches,
       the crankshaft was bent beyond repair.

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/fe_specialties/WMV/Crankshaft_Scoring.wm
v

6]  The oil pump was ruined by being contaminated with
       metal debris.

Here are photos of the oil pump:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4314z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4315z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4316z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4317z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4318z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4319z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4321z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4320z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4322z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4325z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4327z.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4330z.JPG

7]  Several of the valve seats were significantly recessed,
       decreasing the compression ratio in some cylinders
       from 9:1 to around 8.9:1.  Other valves seats weren't
       recessed at all--they varied quite a bit between valves.

Here's a video clip of FE Specialties discussing
       problems #7, #8 and #9.

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/fe_specialties/WMV/Heads.wmv

8]  An attempt was made to use multiple shims under a valve
       spring to make up for one of the recessed valve seats.
       And the shims were off-center.  Here are some photos
       of this area on one of the heads:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5414z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5417z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5416z.jpg

It's my impression that the valve seats should have
       been re-done to repair their recessed nature (instead
       of using this questionable work-around).

problems #7, #8 and #9.

9]  Many of the valve guide clearances were way out of spec,
       and varied a lot from valve to valve.  I heard from FE
       Specialties that this condition would have caused oil
       leakage around the valve stems, which would have been
       bad for the engine (and would have caused it to smoke
       a lot).

Here are some photos of the area:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5404z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5405z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5406z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5407z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5408z.jpg

problems #7, #8 and #9.

10]  The head surfaces for the exhaust manifolds were rough and
       hadn't been re-surfaced.  According to FE Specialties and
       everybody else I've consulted with, neglecting to resurface
       this part of the heads isn't an acceptable practice for an
       expensive, high performance engine.  I've gathered the impression
       that putting a perfect surface on this area is supposed to
       be a normal, standard procedure when rebuilding heads.

I heard from Steve that Proformance Unlimited hadn't
       resurfaced the heads because you aren't equipped with a
       machine capable of this.

Update:  on Monday, December 28th I heard from Steve
       that because modern gaskets are so effective at making up for
       surface imperfections, these head surfaces are normally left
       rough on Proformance Unlimited engines.

Here are some photos of the rough head surfaces:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2100s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2099s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2095s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2094s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2093s.JPG

11]  I was promised a performance spec of 400 horsepower, and
       heard an estimate from Steve of 436 horsepower and 463
       ft/lbs of torque at 4,000 RPM.

Yet the analysis of FE Specialties revealed this to be
       a technical impossibility.  The principle reasons for this
       were the stock sized valves, the lack of any porting
       or port matching work in the heads and intake manifold,
       and the compression ratio (8.9:1 to 9.0:1, depending
       on the particular cylinder).

FE Specialties estimated that the performance of the
       engine would have peaked at about 350 horsepower--much
       less than what I heard from Proformance Unlimited!

12]  I was promised by Proformance Unlimited a compression
       ratio of 10:1.  I heard this from Steve on several
       occasions, since I specifically asked about this.

FE Specialties measured the compression, and based on the
       pistons, bore, stroke and heads, it would have been 9:1.
       Yet because many of the valves were recessed too far in
       to the valve seats (see problem #7), the actual ratio for
       several cylinders was even lower, perhaps 8.9:1.

13]  The engine's paint job seemed inferior.  Even a small amount
       of brake cleaner spilled on the paint caused it to bubble up and
       rub right off, and it chipped of very easily, even without the
       brake cleaner.

Just in the process of installing the engine, it began
       to look worse and worse.

Here are a few photos that illustrate how easily the paint came
       off of the block:

Here's an area before I'd applied brake cleaner:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4784z.JPG

Then I applied one short spray of brake cleaner and
       rubbed it lightly with a soft rag, and look what came off:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4785z.JPG

Then I brushed it lightly with a soft, plastic brush,
       and the paint in that whole area came completely off:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4786z.JPG

Here's what the brush looked like after this.

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4788zz.JPG

Once I understood how bad the paint job seemed, I knew
       I'd have to completely re-paint the engine.  So I started
       actually trying to remove the paint--it was not difficult!

And here's what one side of the engine block looked
       like after just twenty minutes of mild effort:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4917.JPG

And the back:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4918.JPG

This photo really illustrates how readily this stuff
       bubbled up and flaked off.  In this photo, I hadn't
       even touched the paint!  The only force applied to it
       was the fluid pressure coming out of the brake cleaner
       can.

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4919.JPG

According to many guys I've consulted with, when
       properly applied, high temperature, ceramic engine
       paint shouldn't be destroyed so easily by brake
       cleaner.  It should be resistant to most automotive
       chemicals, including brake cleaner.

14]  The hose connecting the water pump to the intake manifold
       had a severe kink in it, and I had to remove the water pump
       and re-do the hose.  While this was a relatively small
       problem, it was yet another thing that required an extra
       investment of time, money and effort for me to make right.
       Here are some photos of the messed up hose:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2721s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2729s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2563s.JPG

Note that I pulled the water pump off and fixed this
       hose before discovering the major problems with the
       engine.  Here are a few photos that show this job
       being performed:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2556s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2723s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2724s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2727s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2732s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2740s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2741s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2742s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2748s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2747s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2749s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2752s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2751s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2754s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2753s.JPG

And two photos of the final product.  Too bad I only
       got to enjoy the fruits of my effort for a few minutes!

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2761s.JPG
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_2757s.JPG

15]  The pistons may have been installed in the wrong cylinders.
       They had numbers written on them with a marker (still legible
       after the few minutes I ran the engine), but the numbers written
       on the pistons didn't correspond to the cylinders they were
       installed in.  Because of ring sizes that may not have matched
       the cylinders they were installed in, this may have contributed
       to the severe cylinder wall scoring.

Here's a video of FE Specialties discussing this:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/fe_specialties/WMV/Piston_Scoring.wmv

16]  After specifically asking about this, I heard from Steve
       that the oil drain-back passages on the heads had been enlarged
       to accommodate the high volume oil pump.  FE Specialties says
       that the heads are stock, including the size of the drain-back
       passages.  The oil inlet passages are also stock; they're not
       restricted.

oil control problems, including the lack of any oil
       control measures in the heads I received:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/fe_specialties/WMV/Cylinder_Head_Oil_Con
trol.wmv

17]  My invoice claims that the engine has Eagle H-Rods,
       but the engine actually has stock 390 connecting rods.

Update:  I heard from Steve on the phone today that
       he's aware of this and that it was a simple mistake
       on the invoice.  Still, since the invoice wasn't
       itemized, I'm not sure whether or not I paid for the
       Eagle H-Rods.

18]  On my invoice I was promised a set of 16 spark plugs;
       I only received the eight that came in the engine.

19]  Several of the main bearing saddles (where the top main
       bearings are installed) were tapered--they'd been
       machined incorrectly.  One saddle had a taper of
       nearly 0.001"!

In the few minutes that the engine ran, the wear pattern on the
       main bearings supported this.  Here are some photos of the main
       bearings:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5413z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5412z.jpg

And here's a video of FE Specialties explaining
       what they found regarding the main bearing caps
       (a related topic).  Note that this video was taken
       before the machinist discovered the specific saddle
       taper problem or the piston connecting rod problems.

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/fe_specialties/WMV/Main_Cap_Bearings.wmv

20]  The valve springs were pushing with about 150
       pounds of pressure, which I heard was excessive from
       FE Specialties.  Here are some photos of the spring
       pressure being measured:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5420z.jpg
       http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/CRW_5421z.jpg

Here's a video of FE Specialties explaining the spring
       pressure problem:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/fe_specialties/WMV/Spring_Pressure.wmv

21]  A machinist measured the deck and found it to be
       out 0.0025".  So the block needed to be re-decked.

22]  The connecting rods were bored about 1/2 of a thousandth
       larger than they should have been.  I heard this from
       FE Specialties.

23]  The bushings in the connecting rods were too large.
       They had been 0.0008" and 0.0010" of clearance,
       which I understand is out of spec.  So they needed
       to be re-bushed.

Here's a chronological account of key events since I became a Proformance
Unlimited customer:

a]  Tuesday, August 5th, 2008

I ordered the engine from Steve.

b]  Monday, October 6th, 2008

Kim provided me with the tracking number for the engine.
       It was UPS Freight 229 950 335.

c]  Monday, October 13th, 2008

The engine arrived at the UPS freight center in Sunnyvale,
       California.  Based on the measurements I'd heard from
       Kim, I knew the engine would fit under my camper shell.
       I went to pick it up.

The engine would not fit--the measurements I'd received
       did not include the height of the pallet!  That night
       I removed the camper shell.

d]  Tuesday, October 14th, 2008

I drove to the UPS freight center in Sunnyvale again and
       picked up the engine.

e]  Sunday, May 10th, 2009

With the transmission installed on the engine, I began
       trying to install it in the vehicle.

f]  Sunday, May 17th, 2009

I discovered that the Milodon 30550 oil pan (the rear
       sump model installed by Proformance Unlimited)
       wouldn't fit in my truck.  It wouldn't clear the steering
       linkage.  I tried to resolve this problem on my own
       for a while, but finally...

g]  Tuesday, May 26th, 2009

I contacted Steve about the oil pan clearance problem
       and provided him with a list of parts I'd need to
       replace it with a Milodon 39740 (front sump) pan.

h]  Thursday, July 2nd, 2009

I telephoned Steve and asked if the oil pan parts could
       be ordered from Summit, since I knew they had them in
       stock, and I might not have to keep waiting that way.
       I heard that Steve would check with his source (Jegs)
       for an updated ETA.

i]  Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009

While still waiting for all the parts I'd need to
       begin the oil pan swap, I received an e-mail from Steve saying
       that the windage tray and gaskets were on the way to the
       Proformance Unlimited shop and would probably arrive on that day.

The e-mail also stated that I'd receive a tracking number for the
       shipment to me, but I never received the tracking number.

j]  Around August 1st, 2009

The parts necessary for the oil pan swap arrived.  Note
       that by now, I'd waited over two months for the parts.

That entire time, Summit had these parts in stock and
       could have delivered them to me directly from their
       Sparks, Nevada warehouse (it only takes one or two days
       for parts to arrive from there).  So the availability
       of the parts wasn't the problem.

k]  Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 through Friday, August 7th, 2009

Worked to replace the oil pan.  Because of clearance
       problems with the incorrect pan that was originally
       installed, this meant lifting the engine up out
       of the frame and turned out to be a ton of work.

l]  Sunday, November 1st, 2009

With the rest of the truck built up around the engine,
       I fired it over for the first time.  It made a loud
       tapping sound!

Because I initially thought it was an exhaust leak,
       I ran the engine for about ten minutes while searching
       for the source of the sound.  I did this by holding a
       piece of hose up against various parts of the engine
       with the hose pressed against my ear.

m]  Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 (10:32AM PST)

Telephoned Steve about the engine sound, and explained
       that it seemed to be coming from the oil pan area.

I heard from Steve that it was probably the windage
       tray hitting the crankshaft, and that I should have
       checked for clearance there before closing the engine
       up (when I did the oil pan swap).

n]  Wednesday, November 4th, 2009

Began the difficult task of pulling the oil pan
       back off, which meant lifting the engine back out
       of its frame mounts.  Later that day I'd completed
       this job, and found that Steve was right!  The
       windage tray did appear to have been struck by the
       crankshaft.

Here's what I found there.  Note that I drew a red
       rectangle around the problem area.

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4272z.JPG

o]  Thursday, November 5th, 2009

I e-mailed Steve photos of the damage I discovered,
       and at 10:14AM PST, he gave me a call.  We discussed
       the photos I sent.

I heard from Steve that to address this problem,
       I should clean out the crankshaft area with brake
       cleaner, put the engine back together, put on a
       new oil filter, fill it with fresh oil, and run it
       for a few minutes.  Then immediately change the
       oil and filter, just to get rid of any metal shavings
       that I missed with the brake cleaner.

p]  Sunday, November 8th, 2009 (10:29PM PST)

I sent Steve an e-mail explaining that after doing
       a more thorough inspection, I found glitter in the
       oil, small metal shavings in the oil pools on the top
       of the heads (enough to feel gritty between my fingers),
       and chunky metal shavings on the heads.  I also included
       photos in this mail of the chunky metal shavings.

I also noted in this mail that the oil on the output
       side of the oil filter looked VERY clean, as though
       it were doing its job, including a photo of the
       dissected filter.

In this e-mail, I asked Steve if he would recommend
       that I go further with cleaning out the engine, which
       would mean taking the engine apart.

q]  Monday, November 9th, 2009 at 10:23AM Eastern Time

I received an e-mail from Steve saying that
       despite the additional evidence of contamination I
       found, his recommendation for an external cleaning
       remained.

The following are quotations:

I asked, "After seeing the photos of what showed up
       under the valve covers, would you recommend going
       further with my engine cleaning (further than we
       discussed previously)?"

To which Steve replied, "***No I Think Everything Will Be
       Fine***"

r]  Monday, November 9th, 2009 at 10:38AM and 12:54PM PST.

I telephone Steve to review his recommendation over the
       phone, and he sounded quite convicted about his
       advice, despite the additional metal chunks I'd found,
       photographed, and e-mailed to him for review.

Since Steve's advice remained the same despite additional
       evidence of contamination, I believed that this was Steve's
       final decision and advice to me.

s]  Tuesday, November 10th, 2009

I opened a dialog with FE Specialties in Sacramento,
       California with regard to hiring them to take the
       engine apart, clean it out, and put it back together.

I chose to do this instead of bothering Steve with
       more phone calls for four reasons:

1.  I'd already heard from Steve on multiple occasions
           that he would not recommend taking the engine apart
           to clean out the metal shavings.  This recommendation
           remained even after I'd sent him additional photos
           of significant metal shavings/chunks on the tops of
           the heads.

Therefore, I knew I was going against his advice, and I
           saw no need to push the issue with him.

2.  Being in Sacramento, California, FE Specialties was
           nearby me.

3.  Based on the great feedback I'd been receiving from
           the Fordification.com web-based forum, it seemed that
           a complete dis-assembly, cleaning, and reassembly was
           the prudent thing to do.

4.  Based on feedback from FE Specialties, who also
           reviewed the photos of the debris found on the heads
           and in the oil pan, the thorough cleaning (which
           meant rebuilding the engine) sounded like the
           prudent thing to do.

t]  Monday, November 23rd, 2009

After working for many days to completely remove the
       engine from my truck, I delivered it to FE Specialties
       in Sacramento, California.

Here's the photo of the engine in the back of my truck,
       before departing on the 3 hour drive to Sacramento:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4944z.JPG

Here's a photo taken during the l-o-n-g drive:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/IMG_4947.JPG

u]  Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009

I got a call from FE Specialties telling me about
       most of the problems detailed in this e-mail.  Some
       of them I heard about later on, as the engine was
       pulled apart more deeply.

v]  Friday, December 11th, 2009

I returned to FE Specialties in Sacramento to
       review everything found in the engine, and to
       take a large number of high definition photos of
       the engine internals.

w]  Saturday, December 26th, 2009

I received an estimate from FE Specialties on
       rebuilding the engine, not only to repair the
       damage but to achieve the approximate
       performance level I was promised by Proformance
       Unlimited (between 400 and 436 horsepower).

Here's the estimate:

http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/FE_Specialties_Estimate_A.png

x]  Monday, December 28th, 2009

I telephoned Steve and explained my situation.  I
       heard that he'd talk to Doug on Tuesday the 29th,
       and that he'd like to receive an e-mail from me
       with photos of the engine damage (this document).

Thanks to Steve for being so patient with me on
       the phone!

y]  Tuesday, December 29th, 2009

I received a voice mail from Kim reminding me
       to send this e-mail (thank you Kim!).

Please know that it's my sincere desire to maintain amicable, professional
relations with Proformance Unlimited despite any differences of opinions.
I'm trying to be as fair, unbiased, patient and polite as possible.  I want
to know that I can trust you guys and recommend you to others in the future!

Thanks for reading my detailed letter, and I look forward to your helpful
response!

Sincerely,
Robroy
I apologize for how awkward that "code" widget makes it to read my letter to them! Here's an alternative method of delivering it to you--click on the link to view it as a text file in your browser:

EmailToProformanceUnlimited_2009Dec29.txt

Notice that I didn't mention this thread, or the super high visibility at all--yet. If their response isn't favorable, I'll fill them in on that!

Thanks for the most fantastic advice on this epic saga!

Robroy
Last edited by robroy on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

Very well written letter. Hopefully they're as professional as they claim and refund your money. :pray:
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening SideOilerFE, thanks for replying!
sideoilerfe wrote:Very well written letter. Hopefully they're as professional as they claim and refund your money. :pray:
Well thank you very much! I tried to balance quality (in terms of both content and composition) with timeliness. I also tried to balance a formidable list of facts with plenty of warm language to take the "edge" off, as much as that's even possible given the situation.

The nice thing about the warm language is that (I'm guessing) lawyers totally ignore it. So the letter can have legal significance while ruffling as few feathers as possible!

Thanks again SideOilerFE!
Robroy
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Wow, that letter was a work of art :thup:
That is a great summary for anyone just coming into this whole mess and wondering what has happened so far. Good luck... I'll be watching your threads like usual! Even though it is how you discovered this mess, it's too bad the crank hit the tray or else they wouldn't be able to say the "It's because of the crank/tray mishap" and blaming it on you. Not that it will be enough against your evidence. It's interesting to think of it as would you rather of had the crank clear the tray and have no problems there or are you glad it hit the tray, causing you to open the engine up and find all things PU did wrong. I'm sure you're thankful that the wrong pan was installed enabling you to find out that you did not get what you payed for.
-Ryan
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening Ryan, thanks for replying!
1971ford wrote:Wow, that letter was a work of art :thup: That is a great summary for anyone just coming into this whole mess and wondering what has happened so far.
Thank you! I felt like it was something I could have refined a lot more, but I may have gone past the point of diminishing returns with my time investment.

All of you deserve a special thanks for patiently teaching me all about the engine as I went! If it weren't for the generous advice I've received here, I wouldn't have had the background necessary to even begin to put together such a long and accurate list of engine problems. Thank you guys!!!
1971ford wrote:Good luck... I'll be watching your threads like usual!
Excellent! Thanks for your continued interest!
1971ford wrote:Even though it is how you discovered this mess, it's too bad the crank hit the tray or else they wouldn't be able to say the "It's because of the crank/tray mishap" and blaming it on you.
True! Isn't it true though, that this is the classic, typical way things unfold? If it weren't for some controversial elements like this, the story would be relatively dry.
1971ford wrote:Not that it will be enough against your evidence.
You could be right about this! Over four hundred quality photos have to add up to something, I'd imagine.
1971ford wrote:It's interesting to think of it as would you rather of had the crank clear the tray and have no problems there or are you glad it hit the tray, causing you to open the engine up and find all things PU did wrong. I'm sure you're thankful that the wrong pan was installed enabling you to find out that you did not get what you payed for.
You hit the bull's eye here Ryan! The positive side effects of the things that have taken place so far are excellent indeed. I've learned a tremendous amount because of this incident, and I may do a great deal more learning before it's concluded! Who knows--this same type of thing could happen years down the road, when I'm a grown-up, with a whole $1,000,000 house or something! This experience could help me out a lot in the future.

Ryan, thanks for your thoughtful reply!

Robroy
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Robroy, excellent email, but a suggestion, recommend using the KISS factor.

Emphasize the deal killers, why you need a refund, why it's just a $8995 boat anchor now.

1. Cam failure.

2. Bores scrathed up

3. Valve seats no good.

4. Crank bent.

I wouldn't stress the bad paint too much or bearing sizes out a thousanth (you don't want a pissing contest between builders), makes the complaint sound petty or at least it's something for PU to grasp at and distract you from the big four above. It took me fifteen minutes or so to read the email without the pictures. Maybe you could / should make an outline on paper with the picture links to go over during your phone call with them.

I think you are doing a great job.

Jamie