Basketcase#16-once in a lifetime build-now gone. :-(

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Project Basketcase#16 the "little 302" is alive!

Post by Thunderfoot »

Looking good :thup: Like the wheels 8)
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

:yt:

I love the look of those kind of dually wheels and nice contrast!
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

Looking good. How did you like lifting those big old drums?
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Thunderfoot on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:11 am
Looking good :thup: Like the wheels 8)
Thanks Shayne!
fireguywtc on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:49 am
:yt:

I love the look of those kind of dually wheels and nice contrast!
Thanks Bill, I owe it all to my son Zach! He is such a blessing to me. :pray:
FLATBEDFORD on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:28 am
Looking good. How did you like lifting those big old drums?
Thanks Steve. I'm still lifting them! :eek: I hope to have the DS rear put back together by this weekend. I've got another top secret project going on around the rear spring area at the same time the duals are off.
I also do hope to keep the dual steel split rims, (maybe put the M & S tires on the split rims-that came on the Alcoa's for when it snows down here)! :lol:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Well guys, I'm gonna have to throw in the towel. :(
An acid rain came through here last night and here's all that's left of BC #16! :eek:

:lol:
I've had my eye on this one for awhile. Sadly enough there's not much left of it. :(
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

That front wheel looks like a one piece from up here in New York. Probably a 16.5" though. What is that some kind of drilling rig? Soon you will be able to pick it up with a broom and dust pan, maybe a shop vac. The moist Florida air is as bad as the salt up here.
Steve

My Photo Gallery
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Basketcase#16 has bags now and all four legs on the ground!

Post by basketcase0302 »

FLATBEDFORD on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:41 pm
That front wheel looks like a one piece from up here in New York. Probably a 16.5" though. What is that some kind of drilling rig? Soon you will be able to pick it up with a broom and dust pan, maybe a shop vac. The moist Florida air is as bad as the salt up here.
Steve, yes it has a boom on the back of the truck. Sorry...I should have edited or lightened up the picture before posting. Wish I had more time to look around at this place!
Hey Billy...this is at a place called Turkey Creek (right on Hwy. 60) between you and I, and I believe these guys have several of our bumps behind the fence out of sight! A short 30 minute drive from Brandon. :thup: They also have a bunch of big trucks there, (possibly some F-600 instrument panels)?
Many bumps here in this shape, (where the rust has put them real close to a painful crusher death). :(
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Well I finally got past the F-350 DRW hub issue, (good thing to know is that only the 67-72 F-350 DRW hub will interchange, (not the 73 and up like I was told by some folks).
She got bags working on her today! :woohoo:
They are 5K bags from a duperduty that I had to fab onto the top brackets and have some new u-bolts made for the bottom brackets to work. But I'm confident she could now haul anything i throw at her, (as well as no more pogo stick bouncing in the rear end with no shocks back there)! :thup:
I had to add 2" wheel spacers for the bags to have enough clearance, (I hate wheel spacers)!

And here's the bonus I got with the Alcoa's...got my new (used) snow tires mounted on the split rims and ready to go!

And my son Zach and I finished my "tailgate" today! :woohoo:
You just gotta' have some wood on a flat bed right? :lol:

Got "stuck" on the brakes again today... :hw:
Third MC on the brakes/bench bled fine/no pedal...I'll try to adjust all the wheels tomorrow and bleed the lines. Seems like it's "air-locked" somewhere, just gotta' find where...
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Basketcase#16 has bags now, and all four feet on the ground!

Post by Caseys71 »

:thup:, The truck is coming along very nicely Jeff! The Flat-bed looks great as does the fancy tail-gate, and everything else! I bet the bags will make a big improvement on the ride when you've got ol' basketcase loaded down! Also noticed the truck-crane, looks like you plan on putting that shiny new flatbed to work :lol:.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:thup: At this rate there's :nono: excuses why that shiny grill can't go on :P :lol: :lol:
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

Looking forward to a few pics pf the whole truck. Making me feel guilty about doing nothing with F350 for the last year or so.
Steve

My Photo Gallery
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Caseys71 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:36 pm
:thup:, The truck is coming along very nicely Jeff! The Flat-bed looks great as does the fancy tail-gate, and everything else! I bet the bags will make a big improvement on the ride when you've got ol' basketcase loaded down! Also noticed the truck-crane, looks like you plan on putting that shiny new flatbed to work :lol:.
Thanks Casey! I'll never forget bringing the truck home from St. Pete coming down the Skyway Bridge and the rear end bouncing off the road what felt like a foot high!
I sure hope the bags take some of that ride away! :pray:
Yes, BC # 16 is about to go to work real soon! Sooner than I want her to... :D
I know you're in about the same working conditions I am, don't you just love working out in the rain on your truck Casey!
I don't think it will ever stop raining here... Image
67mann on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:34 am
:thup: At this rate there's :nono: excuses why that shiny grill can't go on :P :lol: :lol:
Danggit' Jerry my "punch out list" not even including tunes for the truck still has 19 items on it as of today! I still gotta' wait on the grill, (wait for the paint on the cab in a year or so) and then hopefully powercoat the grill I got from ya! :thup:
FLATBEDFORD on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:08 am
Looking forward to a few pics pf the whole truck. Making me feel guilty about doing nothing with F350 for the last year or so.
Steve, I hope to have some pictures of the truck as a whole in the next week or so. Although I gotta' say that the truck will still resemble a basketcase for at least another couple of years. :lol:
Everybody's priorities are different and i do feel very fortunate to have been given the time to build the truck, (also very concerned about the fact that BC #16 will be my only ride in a few short weeks now)... :pray:
You'll find the time I'm sure, (I had to wait for the kids to grow up first)! :lol:

I got the power steering working on her today! :woohoo:
I finally found the "MIA" bracket I'd pulled off of my swamp buggy and the Saginaw pump assembly.
I had to use a conglomaration' of washers to properly align the pulley. And the pump is I don't know how old, but is working at present! :pray:
Now if i can only get brakes tomorrow! :pray:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Basketcase#16 has a "locking" tailgate & antique plates now!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Well guys, you might be a redneck if...this is your idea of a "locking tailgate"! :lol:
Actually this is my way of securing my tailgate/ramp boards. The tailgate boards double as ramp boards by simply running the two bolts through my ramp brackets, (about 5 minutes per board). I didn't want anything visible on the outside of the bed to secure the boards from flying out so this was my "quick fix" to the solution. :thup:

And after almost a whole year with no plate she finally got her antique plate today, (I've waited a long time for this)! I did love the coincidence of the first two letter being "BK"...close enough to Basketcase for me! :lol:

My son Zach and I got the wiring ran, (via my new underhood junction box) to the rear led tail/brake lights today and got those working.
Then I just had to open up the can of worms on my brakes again... :hw:
Two hours later I got it back to where it was before I started my "adjustments"... :eek:
Hopefully get the new relays wired into the headlights tomorrow and possibly the alarm? :shh:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Well BC # 16's first road trip was today, and she kind of let me down...
After spending about two hours strapping wiring/hoses and tubing I took her down the road for about 5 miles. Seemed ok for the first 5 mile trip, then decided to throw a gas can / my dog and my son Zach in the truck for it's first "maiden cruise". :roll: Got about five miles from the house and smelt coolant! :hw: Pulled her over (temp had gotten to 210) and found underside of engine compartment covered in antifreeze. Pretty hard to tell where it's coming from, but possibly looked like the radiator cap. So I put another cap on it and headed back home. I do have an area on my radiator(original radiator don't know how old) that might be leaking (I'll look at it tomorrow). :roll:

And Zach and I did get all the wiring done on the new headlight relays, (pictures in a day or so) nice bright headlight after driving my truck for years with "disco headlights"! :lol:
Another kinda' good bump day! :pray:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
72stepside
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 72stepside »

Oh yes, the headlight relay mod is a HUGE improvement over stock. I don't know why I waited so long on my F100. The F250 will get put back together with them from the get go!
Chris
72 F100 Stepside w/ 78 300 CID
Hedman Headers
Disc Brakes
Power Steering with 3 STILL on the tree
Comfy Crown Vic Seats

71 F250 PS, PB, AC, Auto, 390
Loooong way to go on this one!

ImageImage
ImageImage