Moderator: FORDification

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Mustang Fuel Tank Install (Pics)

Post by BobbyFord »

I used a 1970 Mustang, 22 gallon tank for my swap:

Fisrt, I made a support frame out of 1" X 1" square tubing:

Frame was accessed to weld attaching nuts to the inside of the tubing for easy mounting of the tank to the frame:

The lower lip of the rear frame rail must be masked and trimmed for clearance:

The crossmember between the rear leaf mounts must be removed and relocated to the rear edge of the frame.
The crossmember must be installed upside-down to accomodate the conture of the underside of the bed:

Mounting nuts are welded to the crossmember because there is no room to get a wrench inside during assembly:
The rear hole is for the rear bed mount bolts:

Tank mounted to frame and installed with crossmember in place:

The inlet on the fuel tank is not in the exact center of the fuel tank but you will want to center your fuel door hole in the bed for asthetic reasons. Mask and cut fuel door hole in bed:

I wanted rounded corners on my fuel door, so I took the extra time to weld in some corner pieces and round file them:

Next, figure out what fuel door hinge you are going to graft in. I used one off of a late 80's Town Car. Fab a support frame to mount the fuel door:

Next, cut a piece of correct gauge metal and form into a thumb-grab to be grafted to your fuel door:

Mount your fuel door frame and attach fuel door: (still gotta grind down the spot welds).
I used fuel door bumpers off of an '08 Focus.

All that is left is to plumb your new fuel line and extend your fuel sending unit wire to the Mustang sending unit (ohm parameters are the same).

:D It's a sickness.
td
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Mustang Fuel Tank Install (Pics)

Post by td »

how will you access your bumper bolts when its time to put it on?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

td wrote:how will you access your bumper bolts when its time to put it on?
Bumper bolt nuts will be welded to the inside of the frame rails so the bolts, from the outside, will be all that is necessary to access.
td
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by td »

great idea, good lookin work to :thup:
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

Nice job, looks good.
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 91Bear »

Is there any way to install a fuel filler that is flush with no door? Maybe a racing type?
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

What did you do for a tank cap?

Looks good.
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi BobbyFord,

That is very impressive work and excellent photography! I'm especially impressed with the rounded corners on your filler hatch. Well done!

Robroy
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

91Bear wrote:Is there any way to install a fuel filler that is flush with no door? Maybe a racing type?
I have seen racing type billet caps for this application, I think the only hassle would be tightening the filler hose clamps with the bed in place.
OldRedFord wrote:What did you do for a tank cap?

Looks good.
I just used the stock cap off of the in-cab tank and the in-cab filler neck shortened down.
robroy wrote:Hi BobbyFord,

That is very impressive work and excellent photography! I'm especially impressed with the rounded corners on your filler hatch. Well done!

Robroy
Thanks, Robroy. It looked weird with the squared off corners, I had to do something.
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

So this is a dumb question, but you made the square frame and bolted the gas tank to it, How did you fasten that square frame to the truck frame? I don't see any bolts through the frame, does it just lay on the bottom lip and you weld it on?
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

dantheman71 wrote:So this is a dumb question, but you made the square frame and bolted the gas tank to it, How did you fasten that square frame to the truck frame? I don't see any bolts through the frame, does it just lay on the bottom lip and you weld it on?
These two bolt holes are at the rear-most two corners of the tank frame and are bolted to the bottom frame rail:

Here is a picture of the tank frame, note the three tabs welded to the front of the frame:

The tabs bolt to the crossmember in front of the tank as is sits in place. Mounting nuts are welded to the inside of the crossmember so that it is not necessary to try to get a wrench up inside.

(5) 5/16-18 bolts hold the tank frame to the truck frame. To remove tank frame and tank assembly all you need to do is remove the bumper, remove rear crossmember, remove the (5) 5/16 bolts, raise the rear of the bed and the tank and tank frame assembly will slide out on the frame rails.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey BobbyFord! I'll bet if you were to produce a batch of those frames you could sell them very easily! I'm sure a kit that would help people implement this rear Mustang tank would be very popular.

But perhaps the time it takes to make each frame would offset the benefits for you?

Robroy
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

It all makes sense now!! Thanks
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

robroy wrote:Hey BobbyFord! I'll bet if you were to produce a batch of those frames you could sell them very easily! I'm sure a kit that would help people implement this rear Mustang tank would be very popular.

But perhaps the time it takes to make each frame would offset the benefits for you?

Robroy

If a guy was to set up a jig to weld up the frames, it would sure speed things up.

Only other thing I am wondering about is what sending unit did you use?
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

robroy wrote:Hey BobbyFord! I'll bet if you were to produce a batch of those frames you could sell them very easily! I'm sure a kit that would help people implement this rear Mustang tank would be very popular.

Robroy
I've thought about it, Robroy, but it's time consuming cutting the tubing and welding the nuts inside. I had a plan when I started the fuel tank swap but it changed a bit as I went along and saw what would and wouldn't work. After that I was just fabbing as I went.
OldRedFord wrote:
If a guy was to set up a jig to weld up the frames, it would sure speed things up.

Only other thing I am wondering about is what sending unit did you use?
The Mustang sending unit uses the same ohm parameters as the truck sending unit and is compatible with the truck fuel gauge.