Can brake fluid evaporate?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Can brake fluid evaporate?

Post by 69rangerman »

I went to take a drive Sunday and when I pulled out, the pedal went to the floor then the brakes seized hard. Pulled back in, popped the master cylinder cover and the back pot was sucking air. Didn't see any fluid underneath so bled the whole system and works fine.

Truck has been sitting for a while without driving (most of a year), with occasional start ups to keep the battery charged etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom in FL
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Can brake fluid evaporate?

Post by fordman »

my 67 does a similar thing the brake fluisd will disapate when it sits too long. i fi put more in it it works fine. but the fluid goes away after a while. i was told the master must be bad. because i have no leaks in that system. i have been through it. i am going to replace master and booster all at the same time.
m-mman

Post by m-mman »

Yeah, eventually ANY fluid will evaporate, but in a sealed M/C evaporation isnt going to be the problem.
Possibilites:
1. Your M/C was real low when you parked it and it lost just enough to become 'dry'.
or More likely
2. Your M/C is leaking from the secondary cup on the rear piston.

Now where did this leaking fluid go?
If you have manual brakes;
It leaked on to the rubber mat (generally easy to see but if your mat is torn and greasy already, it could be missed)
It leaked onto the carpeting. (carpet soaks up fluids so it would not be easily noticeable)

If you have power brakes it leaked into the power booster.
Think about it, if a M/C leaks out the back it will 'fill up' the power booster. A M/C will not actualy fill it, but the booster can hold enough fluid that you would not notice it missing until your brakes failed.
Where can the fluid go from the booster? When you apply the brakes a vacuum exists in the booster and the fluid can be pulled into the engine and burned.
If you pull the M/C away from the booster you might see where it was leaking out the back.

So . . . think about how old your M/C is, it might be time for a rebuild/replacement.
1969 F-100 Custom Cab 302 T-85 Overdrive, 3.70 equalock & factory 16" wheels
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

Brake fluid doesn't evaporate... :nono:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

ok to help him and me. out with this. my brake fluid disappears after the truck sits awhile. it isnt coming in the cab. its not running down the outside of the firewall. i have no brake booster. there are no leaks at any of the brake lines or wheel cylinders. my hood is chained shut. what is happening to my brake fluid. where is it going? i really thought it was evaporating.
m-mman

Post by m-mman »

Everything evaporates, it is just a mater of how fast and under what conditions. :wink:

MSDS No: 503.0197992-005.009I DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID 12/12 OZ
PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES

Boiling Point
(for product) 499.3 F (259.6 C) @ 760.00 mmHg
Evaporation rates generally have an inverse relationship to boiling points; i.e. the higher the boiling point, the lower the rate of evaporation.

Vapor Pressure
(for product) < .010 mmHg @ 68.00 F

Specific Vapor Density
6.000 @ AIR=1

Percent Volatiles (Including Water)
2.8 %

Evaporation Rate
< .01 (BUTYL ACETATE =1 )
http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/evaporationrate.html

So it does evaporate . . . . but it aint much and it aint fast.

When brake fluid is lost in stored vehicles it is generaly "leaking" somewhere.
Not a major leak. Probably nothing you can even see. Rather it is a seepage.

If brakes are used regularly (even just stepping on the pedal once a month) the seals/cups are continually pushed out against the metal bores, if they sit, the seal lips will shrink ever so slightly and allow for a slight seepage.
1969 F-100 Custom Cab 302 T-85 Overdrive, 3.70 equalock & factory 16" wheels
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on it...and add the mental note to the "one more thing to do" list.

:fr:
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
19FORD67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 19FORD67 »

Seems like I was once told that brake fluid can absorb moisture from the air.I guess this could effectively lower its boiling point thus increasing evaporation.
'67 352 3spd 3.25 9" Custom Cab
'92 Mercury Cougar
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-3222
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

19FORD67 wrote:Seems like I was once told that brake fluid can absorb moisture from the air.I guess this could effectively lower its boiling point thus increasing evaporation.
Nope, it does not work that way. If the water is absorbed it increases the volume and it would evaporate before the brake fluid would. The reality is if you lose brake fluid in a year then you either have a leak or the brake shoes/pads have worn enough that the cylinders need more fluid (usually something you only see on disc brakes or drums that are not self adjusting). If your fluid goes down fast enough to need fluid regularly then you better start looking for the leak. As noted above, often the fluid will leak out of the back of the MC but it does not always show. Very often it simply runs down behind the floormat and soaks the felt backing. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
19FORD67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 19FORD67 »

Thanks Hawk. Sorry if I'm hijacking here; so when brake fluid absorbs moisture what happens? Is there a condition that tha culminates from moiosture in the brake lines?
'67 352 3spd 3.25 9" Custom Cab
'92 Mercury Cougar
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-3222
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

That's generally what causes the pitting and rust inside wheel cylinders and master cylinders.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup: