hey just a friendly update on my swap project

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

joscap69Ranger

hey just a friendly update on my swap project

Post by joscap69Ranger »

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say I pulled my 360/c6 lastnight. I pulled them still together using a "A" frame and a chain hoist, on dirt in my backyard. Had some minor issues ( figured out I had to remove the crossmember for the transmission) Then it came out relatively easy.

the second problem was my hoist was not high enough for the engine to clear the pickup. So I set it down on the yoke on the engine crossmember and a block of wood on the firewall by the solenoid held up the engine while i shortened the chain my hoist was fixed to.

got 'er done! yEhaw. Now just got to get the engine out of the t-bird...oh brother. :roll:
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: hey just a friendly update on my swap project

Post by GT-Racer »

Cool good luck. And dont forget to take pictures to post along the way.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
joscap69Ranger

Post by joscap69Ranger »

quick update, turns out after a closer look at the tranny pan, it has 14 bolts...still gonna have fun...
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

There's the kind of guy that gets it done with what he has and then there's the guy that has to buy all the right stuff before he can even get started. You're obviously a member of the former group, joscap! I'm using a hoist now but your post reminds me of the good ole days. I used to tripod long steel pipe, chain it together on the top, hang a big come-a-long or chain hoist from there and work away. I even used a big tree limb on a couple of occasions. I remember many times laying in the dirt or mud and lifting and stabbing a tranny into my old Chevy 1 ton. Stay with it and keep us posted.
jor
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

I was laying in the gutter putting a clutch in an old hot rod of mine because I didn't have a jack, then it rained of coarse lol. Keep up the good work.
joscap69Ranger

Post by joscap69Ranger »

Yeah Got the 351w in the truck after buying some new mounts..the tranny is a FMX...had the cast iron tranny and all...thanks for everyone's help...you guys are great...
--------------------------------------

How it went:
Man was that a bear...used the following...

1 scissor jack
1 shovel
1 18 inch screw driver as a pry bar
1 bumper jack
and a whole lot of bruised knuckles....

no I am not joking.

broke 2 small pieces of the manifold ..didn't hurt it..it was while I was jacking it up the manifold (intake) broke under the weight..nothing was there before in those holes...so it did not hurt it...

Turned out...small blocks and big blocks have 2 totally different mounts..go figure.

My biggest problem was the duel catalatic converters on thed 351w fitting threw the smaller area. I left them on with a little pipe so I could have some pipe until I can get it running and when I can afford it (within a month...maybe???) have duel pipes out the back...Got a guy here who does all my exhast stuff...at discount muffler..

Still have to figure out how to hook up my linkage ..there lever is upwards, but on the c6 it was down. WILL that effect anything???

I used the tranny mount off the c6 and had to drill a new hole in my crossmember.

I have a driveline...I am using the one the guy I work with made for his 68 Custom, that he gave to my uncle...who has now decided to put a 302 in his truck with a c6... SO THat fixes another problem...

THanks "oldhalftons" for the help on the wiring up the electronic ignition..
should not have much problem now...

well till next time...

oh by the way heavenlyfire and jor....I had to use my father in laws areostar to pull the t-bird out of the a frame and to pull my truck under it....yard kinda has a slope...did not notice untill i tried to push it...forget that!!!LOL
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Sounds like you've been really busy,I've got a gew things that need to be done if you need something else to do...
:wink:
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
joscap69Ranger

Post by joscap69Ranger »

:D
joscap69Ranger

Post by joscap69Ranger »

August 10, 2005

Got truck running, put a points distributor in...

Note: Had to pull it up under 1969-70 Mustang...

Cost $45.00 at autozone

running good, justa few minor things before i will drive it any distance...

1. hook up power steering
2. get new raditaor hoses
3. bleed brakes and adjust them
4. hook up the speedometer.

My wife is about to give birth to our 5th child. This has slowed my progression up just a little bit.

Man that truck has power...barely touch the gas and I leave rubber....WOW...
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

Wow! That sounds great man. Good luck to your wife on the delivery. God Bless.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree