1969 F250 won't start anymore

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
PelegTheCat

1969 F250 won't start anymore

Post by PelegTheCat »

I have a 1969 F250 390. The other day I couldn't get it started. I put in a new Battery, distrubutor cap, points, coil, and spark plugs. I verified I was getting spark (by taking off the wire from the spark plug and putting it near the chasis) at every plug. I could also smell gas so I know it has fuel.

Finally the other day it started and I drove it around for a half hour. I adjusted the timing and set it perfect. The next day it started right up, but it died a few minutes later when I tried to move it. When I tried to restart it sounded like a few pistons were running but the rest not. Then I couln't get anything.

I recharged the battery, pulled out the plugs, cleaned them (some looked a little fouled), and put them back in. But I still can't get it to start.

Any ideas where to go from here?
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: 1969 F250 won't start anymore

Post by heep70 »

First of all :hi: and :wel: to the forum.

Is it getting to much fuel (flooding)? What about the gap in the points? Coil might be weak also.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
PelegTheCat

Post by PelegTheCat »

Its a new coil. I thought that I might be flooding it so I have been extra careful the last few times I tried. Although I have to admit I am still not mastered the manual choke.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

When I had a manual choke on mine, I would pull the knob all the way out, then push it back in about a half inch. I would pump the pedal three times and turn the key. It usually fired right up.
Then as it warmed up I would gradually push the choke knob back in.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: 1969 F250 won't start anymore

Post by heep70 »

flyboy2610 wrote:When I had a manual choke on mine, I would pull the knob all the way out, then push it back in about a half inch. I would pump the pedal three times and turn the key. It usually fired right up.
Then as it warmed up I would gradually push the choke knob back in.
I do the same trick with my manual choke.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

How old are the plug wires? They could have a leak and a ohms test won't detect that.
Twuck

Post by Twuck »

Mine was a real simple problem. You might want to change the fuel filter.
Customizing a pickup on a shoe string is a little difficult.
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

Check the breaker plate in the distributor that the points mount on. It wears out and gets loose. You can set the points and the engine will start and idle, but when you crack the throttle the vacuum advance pulls the points out of adjustment. It can really make it start to miss and stumble like there is something wrong with the carb. If you dis-connect the vacuum advance and plug it and the engine will rev up, thats it. The breaker plate should be available at most parts stores, or they can get one for you. They aren't very expensive.
69 F-100 Ranger 302
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i had a similar problem. this was the only time the driver had to return on foot. i got stuck and was rocking back and forth toi get out. well i got out . then went home on the way home it quit just like i ran out of gas. but i had gas. the engine would try to start it sounded like the timing chain went out but that was impossible new chain not very long ago. i kept trying it. it wasnt the distribtor pin. i dont remember how i figured it out. but i had twisted the cam shaft in half. thats why it sounded like the timing chain went out it was only firing on the two front cylinders 1 and 5. i think the way i found out it was the cam was that i pulled one of the valve covers. just exploring. and that was how i found it.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

If all that doesn't work, try testing your compression. You might have stuck rings if it sat too long. A little oil down the spark plug hole usually cures that in about a day or so. Good luck and welcome to the site.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i tried diesel in the cylinders. will that losen a stuck ring?
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Auto choke? Maybe it isn't opening right and it loaded up and flooded. 69 should be a manual choke though. Now it may not restart, even though you dried the plugs, because it has Champion plugs and you have to throw them away once they get wet. Fix the choke and get a new set of Autolite plugs. And don't fix an auto choke with one of those manual conversions, they are junk. If you want a manual choke, get a 69 or earlier carb or buy a Holley.
Also check the compression, a washed down engine may need some oil down the cylinders to get it started. I saw one tired 351w that was washed down so bad we never could get it fired up again.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

washed down = flooded ??
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

When you flood an engine bad it washes the oil film off the cylinder walls and you loose much of your compression. Sometimes enough that it won't start even after you dry out the plugs. Usually, but not always, you can get it fired up by puttig some oil down the spark plug holes and spin it over a few times. It makes a mess but it works best to crank it over before you put the spark plugs back in. And also check the oil for dilution as it usually needs changed too after al that gas gets past the rings.

This is just my most probable scenario for what you described, it may in fact not be this problem at all. Have you checked the choke for opening? Is it closed? Have you tried propping it open and arrempting to start the engine?
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.