A/C & PS Brackets

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
bwc302

A/C & PS Brackets

Post by bwc302 »

I was walking around a junk yard a few weeks ago and ran across an A/C unit with the brackets still attached. I saw that the unit had 2 pulleys on it. I am guessing one is the A/C idler pulley and the other is for PS? Does that sound right?

Thanks,

Bobby
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: A/C & PS Brackets

Post by Joe Kriston »

Bobby,do you mean the a/c compressor when you say a/c unit?....I really don't know the answer to your question,but since we're talking a/c units,I have a few of my own...

Maybe it's because we're having a hot summer all over the country,but I seem to be reading more inquiries here for a/c units....A good majority of the Arizona trucks here either had dealer or aftermarket a/c installed in them...I've only seen one that the heater control cables regulated the a/c...Keith has pics in the galleries of the various a/c units that were installed...One of my questions is what comprises a 'good used' a/c unit?...Other than the form-fitted big suitcase with the blower motor in it that fits under the dash,aren't the rest of the parts...the condensor coil,the hoses,clutch and compressor and that little cylinder thing with the little glass eye pretty much available anywhere?...How does one know if any of those used parts are any good?...

One other question I have is that my a/c blows cold,but even on full blast it doesn't circulate very much air,which is very annoying on short trips in 110' temperatures...Can the fan motor on those be replaced with a higher output fan?...If I had a girlfriend that snuggled next to me when I was driving,she'd be the only one actually getting cool when cruising around town...Maybe I'll get one for the summer and let her drive.....
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

There are some pictures of the belt routing and A/C hookups on THIS PAGE. I whipped up that page to help willowbilly out a while back, and it was originally intended to be deleted soon afterward....but considering the amount of times this question has come up, I think maybe I ought to re-do that page to make it a permanent part of the site....and even add some better pictures to it when/if I get a chance. I'll do some more poking around and see if I can find some better shots of the A/C belt routing to add to that page.

Yeah, since all the main underhood A/C components are readily available new, and SHOULD be replace anyway when cobbling together an A/C setup, there really isn't much market for that stuff. However, things like brackets and pulleys for the stock equipment aren't being reproduced, so those items should always be snagged from the local U-Pull-It when the opportunity arises. Things like the compressor, condensor, lines, dryer, etc. should always be replaced with new parts, so when trying to put together an A/C setup, really all you need to grab from a parts truck donor is the underdash setup and any pulleys/brackets. Used pieces (especially if the system has been opened up) will not be worth the hassle to try using.

However, I've grabbed several complete setups, including all lines, condensor, dryer, etc. to be used for mockup. When I'm ready to start putting mine together, I'll be using the pieces to ensure I have everything I need. Once it's completely bolted in and I'm sure I have all the parts, then virtually everything will be removed and replaced anyway, but I'll be able to take the lines (for example) in and have some new ones made up to the length I'll be needing.

Joe: So you're saying you have cool air and not enough air flow? You might need to simply get your system recharged to get it from 'cool' to 'cold'. Also, depending on what setup you have, you could possibly benefit from a larger condensor. Most of the dealer-installed setups I've seen have small condensors, whereas the factory-installed units are quite a bit larger. The larger the condensor, the cooler the air.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
bwc302

Post by bwc302 »

Thanks, it looks like the 74 390 setup (the best I can tell). It has the 2 pulley set up for the compressor. Here is a picture of it.
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

All those pulleys look wierd--and rusty...

My a/c was just charged and it does blow out cool,but definitely not as cool as my '97....Mainly,though,I'd like to have more airflow out of it....I might have to tint the windows,also....I really noticed how less effecient it was than my newer truck when I left it parked outside for a couple of hours in the middle of the day....It was about 110' outside,meaning it got up to about 140' in the cab....Plus,my '97 is a crewcab,meaning the sun doesn't beat through the back window right on the driver's head like on a single cab...The truck never really got cool on the ride home and eventually I gave up and rolled down the windows...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Did you convert it to R134a? If so find the biggest condenser you can fit on the truck. That should help.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Flyboy,I was advised by a couple of a/c places out here not to convert it to r-34...'Tho,I like the idea of a larger condensor,they told me the r-34 would be less cool in an older system like I have...The a/c would probably be fine in a less hot but more humid climate like in the midwest,but in Phoenix,when you start your truck in the middle of the day you want cold air and you want it now...That's why I'm wondering if there was perhaps a more effecient(and quieter) fan motor for these underdash a/c units...
Docholiday72tx

Post by Docholiday72tx »

BWC, I'm not sure what happened to the brackets and pulleys in that picture. I've seen a lot of dealer installed, aftermarket, and factory setups.....but nothing like that. It appears to be some sort of a hack job.
It's been a while since I fooled with an FE....but if memory serves me correctly, the brackets and pulleys for A/C are like this:
There is a thick "L" shaped bracket that holds the compressor to the head.
There is a long flat bracket that goes from the top of the compressor to the intake manifold for a brace.
There is a big flat bracket that goes from the compressor to the alternator side of the engine that acualy bolts on with the same bolt as the alternator pivot bracket that holds the idler pulley for the compressor and also is used to adjust the tension of the compressor belt.
The power steering has one pulley. A belt goes around the power steering pump, the water pump, and the crank shaft pulley. The A/C belt goes around the compressor, the idler pulley, water pump, and crank shaft pulley. They are 2 seperate belts with 2 seperate pulley systems.
Doc
If it ain't broke....oh wait a minute....it is.