72 F250 Lifts

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

ChevyToughRebel

72 F250 Lifts

Post by ChevyToughRebel »

I have been trying to find lift kits for my 72 F250 and am having a hard time, in fact so far the only brand lift I can find that has everything is from skyjacker and the price tag was a little over $1000, that included all the hardware and four new leafs. Does anyone know of any other companies that supply lift kits for this year and model? I was also told by a friend that someone was able to use chevy leafs for a lift but it was a tight fit, has anyone heard of this? Also I was wondering, since the highboy is a factory 2" lift, when a lift kit from skyjacker or someone else is 4", does this mean 4" on top of the factory 2" making it 6" total, or 4" total, 2" on top of factory 2"? I am wanting to replace the original leafs with new ones, and having 4" of total lift.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

~ Shane
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 72 F250 Lifts

Post by averagef250 »

A highboy does not have a factory lift kit. They all sat the exact same height when they were new. They are called highboys because they all sat high from 67-77.5 unless they've been beat into the ground for the past 30 years.

Here's the facts- A highboy off the showroom floor had 31" tires and the tops of the tires sat just below the top edge of lower body line. A 35" tire would bolt right up, just not have room to steer if it's much wider than 10". 33" tires fit well stock height.

4" skyjacker springs fit 35's nicely and easily clear 40" tires with fender trimming. They are 4-5" over stock height.

My advice is buy just the skyjacker front springs. Use a disc brake HP front axle and use 90's F450 4x4 front brake lines (use two passenger side ones), buy shocks in pairs the lengths and styles you need. Last time I did this I got decent ones from 4wheelparts off the shelf for around $35 a piece. In the rear do a shackle flip and have a custom longer brake hose made by A-1 or any other hydraulic place and buy new longer ebrake cables from inline tube.

You'll still have to retube your rear driveline and if you have your stocker front driveline and switch to a high pinion axle during the lift it will fit like a glove.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
ChevyToughRebel

Post by ChevyToughRebel »

Oh that makes a little more sense. Well I already like the stock height but I think I will look for a 2" lift instead of 4". Thanks for the info!

~ Shane
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Wait a sec, how can you use the words 'Chevy' and 'tough' in the same sentence? Is it some king of GM brand with a Ford motor in it??? :? :? :?

:evil: :evil: :woohoo: :hd: